Author Topic: has poly-o changed?  (Read 7782 times)

Offline pizzaJoe

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, mmmmmm!
Re: has poly-o changed?
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2008, 11:11:12 AM »
Hi Peter,

Yah, it's good news as I'm always looking to try something new.  But in this case, Precious is not new to me.  I have used Precious before and I'm sorry to say, I didn't prefer it.  I would have to say that is matter of personal preference however.  It had no real distinctive taste, and when shredded, it didn't make it through the bake times I need for my crust (approximately 8-9 minutes @ 550).  However, it is *very* economical.  Last time I bought it, I could find it at the local Smart-n-Final (HWY 85 & El Camino for you Bay Area folks) in 5 pound blocks for under $2/lb so if you like it, pile it on!   :D

As for the Mozzarella Fresca, well, I think the Sorrento group has hit a grand slam with their real buffalo mozzarella.  Although at $13.99 for 7 ounces  :o I don't know if I can afford it.  But, having said that, it makes the *best* pizza margarita I've ever tasted.   ;D  But, $13.99 for SEVEN OUNCES???   :o :o

Cheers.

Joe
PizzaJoe

Offline TarHeelPizza

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2008, 11:46:42 AM »
FYI, I was curious about local availability so I pinged the Sorrento home page "comment" page and recieved the following reply:

"Joe - our Sorrento products are branded as Precious Cheese on the West coast. You should be able to find them at Safeway or Walmart in your area."

I normally buy the 5lb block of Sorrento at BJ's.  Compared to Sorrento at our local supermarket, it's MUCH less expensive.

Offline enchant

• World-class pizza maker in the making
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2008, 11:09:44 AM »
I think the Sorrento group has hit a grand slam with their real buffalo mozzarella.  Although at $13.99 for 7 ounces  :o I don't know if I can afford it.  But, having said that, it makes the *best* pizza margarita I've ever tasted.   ;D  But, $13.99 for SEVEN OUNCES???
It's due to the popularity of Buffalo wings.  There's currently a shortage of Buffalo.  Once we get past the Superbowl (and associated parties), the demand for the wings will probably go down, and you might see a drop in the cheese price.
--pat--

Offline Pizza#1

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2008, 03:20:43 PM »
I think it did change, it use to be wetter also. had more flavor.

PIzza#1