Author Topic: has poly-o changed?  (Read 7148 times)

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
Re: has poly-o changed?
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2007, 05:30:36 PM »
Made a Chicago last night and used Poly-O.  Tasted fine to me.

Offline TarHeelPizza

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2008, 07:38:07 PM »
I tried some Polly-O whole milk recently for one of my NY Style attempts.  I normally use Sorrento.  To my taste, the Polly-O was flavorless and didn't bake well.

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2008, 12:28:53 AM »
  I normally use Sorrento. 
Same here, I prefer it over Grande by a large margin. I never tried the Polly-O. BJ's carries it but I always grab the Sorrento instead.  ;D
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.

Offline pizzaJoe

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, mmmmmm!
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2008, 10:42:12 AM »
I normally use Sorrento.

FYI, I was curious about local availability so I pinged the Sorrento home page "comment" page and recieved the following reply:

"Joe - our Sorrento products are branded as Precious Cheese on the West coast. You should be able to find them at Safeway or Walmart in your area."
PizzaJoe

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2008, 10:51:07 AM »
pizzaJoe,

That's good news for me since I can find the Precious mozzarella cheese (low-moisture part skim) at a Safeway-owned supermarket near me. An interesting side note is that the Mozzarella Fresca brand of fresh mozzarella cheese is also part of the same group of cheese companies as Sorrento.

Peter

Offline pizzaJoe

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, mmmmmm!
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2008, 11:11:12 AM »
Hi Peter,

Yah, it's good news as I'm always looking to try something new.  But in this case, Precious is not new to me.  I have used Precious before and I'm sorry to say, I didn't prefer it.  I would have to say that is matter of personal preference however.  It had no real distinctive taste, and when shredded, it didn't make it through the bake times I need for my crust (approximately 8-9 minutes @ 550).  However, it is *very* economical.  Last time I bought it, I could find it at the local Smart-n-Final (HWY 85 & El Camino for you Bay Area folks) in 5 pound blocks for under $2/lb so if you like it, pile it on!   :D

As for the Mozzarella Fresca, well, I think the Sorrento group has hit a grand slam with their real buffalo mozzarella.  Although at $13.99 for 7 ounces  :o I don't know if I can afford it.  But, having said that, it makes the *best* pizza margarita I've ever tasted.   ;D  But, $13.99 for SEVEN OUNCES???   :o :o

Cheers.

Joe
PizzaJoe

Offline TarHeelPizza

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2008, 11:46:42 AM »
FYI, I was curious about local availability so I pinged the Sorrento home page "comment" page and recieved the following reply:

"Joe - our Sorrento products are branded as Precious Cheese on the West coast. You should be able to find them at Safeway or Walmart in your area."

I normally buy the 5lb block of Sorrento at BJ's.  Compared to Sorrento at our local supermarket, it's MUCH less expensive.

Offline enchant

• World-class pizza maker in the making
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2008, 11:09:44 AM »
I think the Sorrento group has hit a grand slam with their real buffalo mozzarella.  Although at $13.99 for 7 ounces  :o I don't know if I can afford it.  But, having said that, it makes the *best* pizza margarita I've ever tasted.   ;D  But, $13.99 for SEVEN OUNCES???
It's due to the popularity of Buffalo wings.  There's currently a shortage of Buffalo.  Once we get past the Superbowl (and associated parties), the demand for the wings will probably go down, and you might see a drop in the cheese price.
--pat--

Offline Pizza#1

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2008, 03:20:43 PM »
I think it did change, it use to be wetter also. had more flavor.

PIzza#1