Author Topic: San Marzano D.O.P. Tomatoes at Whole Foods  (Read 5043 times)

Offline 007bond-jb

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza & Beer
San Marzano D.O.P. Tomatoes at Whole Foods
« on: December 04, 2006, 09:16:40 AM »
I was In Whole Foods this weekend & found they are selling San Marzano D.O.P. Tomatoes. the lable on the can is different from the green red & white regular San Marzanos. I got a can I havent tried em yet

Offline Natephish

Re: San Marzano D.O.P. Tomatoes at Whole Foods
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 11:02:18 PM »
For anyone in a place where there are Stop & Shops, go down the "International Foods" isle to the Italian section and you can buy Sclafani San Marzano (w/D.O.P.) tomatoes for $4.19 a can.  That's where I get mine.  Pepe's in New Haven happens to use this exact brand of San Marzano tomatoes.  ;D

Offline PaniniGuy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 09:23:48 PM »
Grew up in Stamford and was raised on Gus Sclafani products.  His cans were everywhere we ate.  Their distribution building used to right across the street from The Colony Grill but looks like they moved to Norwalk.  Miss not having Sclafani out here in Pittsburgh, but San Marzano "brand" tomatoes are plentiful.  Several good Italian markets have them for less than WF.

Been poking around here and finally decided to join up and improve my skills.  Nice forum.

Offline inSaNE iRIsH

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 05:47:52 PM »
I was In Whole Foods this weekend & found they are selling San Marzano D.O.P. Tomatoes. the lable on the can is different from the green red & white regular San Marzanos. I got a can I havent tried em yet

I looked at a couple of local Whole Foods.  Are you talking about the Bella Terra by Racconto?  That is all I could find, but I don't think they are D.O.P.  You say it is a different label than the normal green, red, & white, what did it look like?  Any pictures by chance?

Thanks.

Offline pierce652

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 08:12:12 PM »
For anyone in a place where there are Stop & Shops, go down the "International Foods" isle to the Italian section and you can buy Sclafani San Marzano (w/D.O.P.) tomatoes for $4.19 a can.  That's where I get mine.  Pepe's in New Haven happens to use this exact brand of San Marzano tomatoes.  ;D

I saw these in Middletown, CT Stop & Shop today for $1.99 a can.  Figures, I just bought 6 cans in the Italian specialty shop down the street two days ago for $3.50.  :-\
BBQ, Pizza, Flyfishing

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 11:53:29 AM »
My local WF has the white label BS US grown SM's on offer at $2 / can.
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market