Author Topic: crushed, can, pureed, passata  (Read 1066 times)

Offline dance

• I Love Pizza!
crushed, can, pureed, passata
« on: December 05, 2006, 11:16:41 AM »
Hi all,

I'm noticing lots of different references to the tomato sauce. Sometimes people recommend a sauce of crushed tomato, sometimes a can... well, here in the UK, cans of 'peeled plum tomatoes, chopped' are widely available. Is this the same as crushed tomatoes? Also available is passata which comes in a cardboard pack and puree, which comes in a tube.

What should I use for my sauce, chums? Do feel free to comment on additions such as sugar, oregano etc.

Offline chiguy

Re: crushed, can, pureed, passata
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 02:31:09 PM »
 Hi dance,
 It's is all a matter of preference ,crushed tomatoes are fine. I personally use Whole peeled tomatoes 28oz/794gr cans. Its a bit of work but i drain them, slice and deseed each half. Then i toss tomato flesh in a food processor add 1/4t of sea salt and maybe 1/2 t of EV olive oil. You can you a blender but it will leave little to no texture to the sauce if blended too high or too long .Blend them and into the refridgerator for a few hours.You can add whatever you like sugar, oregano,parmesan cheese but i like the fresh tomato taste.   Chiguy 

pizzapan