Author Topic: Finest Pizza Sauce Yet  (Read 16283 times)

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza & Sex -- Good? Great! Bad? Still okay.
    • My Pizza Gallery
Re: Finest Pizza Sauce Yet
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2006, 05:34:30 PM »
Question for PFT...  Do you even salt the tomatoes?  I love pure tomato flavor on my pizza, but have always found at least a little salting necessary with the unsalted canned variety.  Please enlighten me, oh Man Who Has Climbed Mount Bianco...  :angel:

-- Glutenboy
Quote under my pic excludes Little Caesar's.

Offline pftaylor

• Life's Short. Get Wood Fired Up!
« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2006, 11:43:40 AM »
Glutenboy,
You bet I salt my tomatoes. The amount depends on the batch of tomatoes on hand. Everytime I make Pizza Raquel I taste test small spoonfulls until the proper flavor level is reached. I do not use any other spices though - just crushed tomatoes. Skip over to the Pizza Raquel thread and read about the breakthrough I found with a traditional NYC plain (cheese) pizza. It was made according to Evelyne Slomon's account of the original Lombardi formula.

It was stupendous. The sequence and combination of ingredients and spices produced a wonderfully bright flavor profile. My lower lip was still tingling the next day or two from the combination of fresh Ugly Ripes, fresh essence, fresh Sicilian oregano, and EVOO. It bit just like Jaws. Big and bold.
Pizza Raquel is Simply Everything You’d Want.
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2006, 12:41:12 PM »
PFT --

Thanks for the info.  You're right...  It seems most if not all of us give oregano second-rate status in favor of basil, but if you grew up eating pizza in and around NYC and are trying to recapture that flavor, then oregano, with its distinctive flavor and aroma, is actually a staple and not just an occasional option.  Can't wait to try it.

-- Glutenboy

Offline gschwim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2006, 10:10:55 AM »
Glutenboy,

If you haven't been to New York to try New York pizza at its source, you'll be interested to know that the corner pizza shops actually put out shakers of oregano (along with shakers of parmesan, granulated garlic and red pepper flakes) for people to add additional oregano.

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2006, 03:03:37 PM »
Ever been?!  Born in Manhattan and raised on pizzas from the Bronx to Jersey and back to Brooklyn!!!  ;D

Offline gschwim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2006, 01:08:58 AM »
Hope the period in NJ wasn't too painful.  Must have felt good to get back to NYC... :)

Offline ihavezippers

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2007, 08:42:05 PM »
I don't suppose anyone knows where to get UglyRipe tomatoes in Seattle/Puget Sound?

or for that matter, just some seeds for UglyRipe tomatoes?  I can't find them anywhere here.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 08:54:51 PM by ihavezippers »

pizzapan