Author Topic: Miracle of San Gennaro Tomatoes  (Read 2384 times)

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Miracle of San Gennaro Tomatoes
« on: December 04, 2006, 05:59:17 PM »
I won a case of these on a wager (easy bet - long story  ;)) and they arrived this week. Can marco or anyone else guide me in the use of these? I don't want  to waste any of these treasures to experimentation. They cost about $10 per can.

Bill/SFNM

Offline kiwipete

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Miracle of San Gennaro Tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 04:18:33 AM »
Jeez man,

that is pure gold!..

We can't get them at all here in NZ. I had to go to the other end of the earth to get just one jar!

(if you wanna know more, go to http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4262.0.html

Can't be much help about how to use them, but once I'll open my solitary jar, I'll just crush them and add salt / pepper, that's it.

Let us know what you think of them.

Cheers

(Envious) KiwiPete

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 01:52:07 PM »
I cut open my first can of "Miracle" tomatoes today. Executive summary: very good, but no miracle.

This review is based on just one can, so perhaps it was a fluke. My first disappointment was the physical state of the tomatoes. As you can see from the pictures below, mostly ruptured tomatoes, few intact, lots of liquid. (280 grams of fruit vs 446 for liquid).  The flavor out of the can and on the pie was very good, very clean - no artificial preservative taste, but otherwise, about the same as other higher-end canned tomatoes I have tasted. Not even close to fresh tomatoes, but maybe my expectations were too high. I still have 11 cans, so perhaps my opinion will change.

Offline PizzaBrewer

• Supporting Member
  • Location: Relocating my brewpub/pizzeria within NE Pennsylvania...
  • Seasoned pro Brewer, intermediate pro Pizzamaker
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 03:33:41 PM »
Thanks for posting your findings.  When I first heard about these, I called the importer to ask about wholesale pricing.  It was something like $6 a can  :o, with a case minimum if picked up.

For those prices I'd expect a happy ending...

I'm glad now I didn't get any, I just couldn't see paying those prices for tomatoes.  And I'm a tomato freak  :D

---Guy
Man does not live by bread alone.  There's also tomato, cheese and pepperoni.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 12:23:30 PM »
A miracle - finally - a can that actually had more whole tomatoes than liquid. This was the seventh can with the first six being very disappointing. They're not bad, but there still doesn't seem to be anything special about them.  Rather than a fairly simply preparation, today I doctored them up with a few other ingredients and created a really nice uncooked sauce - something that might work well with any good canned tomato:

The flesh from 1 can (28oz.) of tomatoes
1/3 cup dried tomatoes in olive oil - finely chopped
4 anchovy fillets (I used some from a bottle that were stored in chile oil - gives a nice little kick)
2 cloves of garlic - minced
salt & pepper to taste (not much salt needed because of anchovies).

Liquefy in blender.

Bill

pizzapan