Author Topic: Dough sticking to pizza stone...help  (Read 2826 times)

Offline texasdiver

• I Love Pizza!
Dough sticking to pizza stone...help
« on: December 05, 2006, 02:33:20 PM »
Hi guys.  Wonderful forum.

I've been ratcheting up my home pizza making after discovering this forum and Varasano's informative site.  However I've been having difficult problems with my pizzas sticking to the stone and burning.

The last couple batches I've been making dough according to the neo-Neopolitan recipe from Peter Reinhart's Book "American Pie:  My Search for the Perfect Pizza" which uses a small amount of oil and sugar.  I've been mixing it in a Kitchenaid using Varasano's autolyse and wet mixing technique and keeping the dough as wet as possible.  I've been using H-E-B's High Protein flour (H-E-B is a Texas grocery chain).  According to the nutritional label there is 4 grams of protein per 30 gram serving and if I'm doing my math right that means the protein content is is 13.33%

I've also been messing with high heat ovens using the Varasano technique of baking on the cleaning cycle.  I cut off the door lock on my electric oven and taped over the door light switch and am using an IR thermometer to monitor the oven temps, trying to bake at around 800 degrees.

I've tried both cornmeal and flour on the peel and both still give me sticking and burning on the stone.  The last pizza I only used a very light dusting of flour on the dough, just enough to keep it from sticking to the peel and the pizza stuck pretty hard to the baking stone and I had to scrape it off with the peel.

Except for this one problem of sticking to the stone and burning, the pizzas are coming out absolutely fabulous with light airy crispy crusts exactly like I want them.

Any suggestions?  Should I use less heat or different flour?  Is there a better lubricant than flour or cornmeal? 

Thanks

Offline Arthur

• When Brooklyn Was the World
Re: Dough sticking to pizza stone...help
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 04:38:42 PM »
Sounds like one of two problems:

1) you are not preheating your stone long enough - try 1 hour at 500 degrees

2) your stone is not very good - there are several places on the forum people have mentioned good quality ones

Arthur.

Offline pizzoid

• Lifetime Member
  • A Hideous, Addictive, substance dependency
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 04:54:59 PM »

Any suggestions?  Should I use less heat or different flour?  Is there a better lubricant than flour or cornmeal? 

Thanks

Only thing I can think of is the bottom of your dough is still way too wet, and you should use more flour underneath in the shaping process. I can't comment on the high temperature, I'm not brave enough to use snips on my oven!

A better lubricant for you might be semolina flour. It's more like little ball bearings, a rounder shape than the cornmeal I've found. I fill an empty spice jar with a small hole shaker top, and sprinkle it on the peel (after working 1/2 tsp. regular flour into the peel surface before every run of pies). I think the brand I buy about every 5 years is Antoine's.

- Al

Offline texasdiver

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 05:52:59 PM »
Thanks for the advice.

I've been pre-heating my stone for an hour at 550 then switching over to the clean cycle about 15 minutes before I'm ready to bake.  So it is plenty hot.  My IR thermometer showed it at 850 the last time.

As for being a cheap stone?  I don't really know.  I think I bought it at a place like Bed Bath and Beyond about 4 years ago. It's a big rectangular stone, quite heavy, and definitely nicer than the circular stone I replaced.

Oh, and I didn't use snips on the oven.  I used a metal cutting blade on my circular saw to saw off the locking hook that normally reaches out and grabs the door during the cleaning cycle.  Then I filed it smooth.

Tonight I'll try a lower temperature.  Maybe just go with the 550 pre-heat for an hour then run the broiler on full heat to crank it up a bit more towards the end.

I don't have seminola flour to try.  I'll go back to cornmeal and just use a grill brush to clean off the burnt cornmeal grains between pizzas.

Always more experimentation to do!

Offline zymurgymaster

• A.lpha S.ausage S.upreme
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 06:45:06 PM »
Are you putting foil on top of the stone during the high heat preheat?  If not that is the reason you are sticking to the stone.  There are other options to get around this but give this one a shot and re-read his post as it does instruct this.

Good luck.

pizzapan