Author Topic: Semolina-vs-cornmeal  (Read 3748 times)

Offline Pizzaholic

Semolina-vs-cornmeal
« on: June 24, 2004, 09:47:37 AM »
Has anyone ever substituted semolina flour (Pasta flour) in a Chicago style dough?
I think I am going to try this tonite. Just wondered if anyone may have done this before. I will use peter rs recipe, but will probably add a little sourdough starter to give it some zing.
Pizzahlic

Offline Pizzaholic

Re:Semolina-vs-cornmeal
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2004, 10:13:59 AM »
I did this yesterday!!!! ;D
Made Peter Rs Chicogo Style dough, with a few Pizzaholic changes. He states that the chicago dough will not be helped by an overnite rise, so when we want pizza the same day, I use this recipe. (any thoughts?) Nice security blanket!!
Instead of cornmeal, I used semolina, had a great texture.
(btw, in the semolina flour package they boast the greatest pizzadough recipe ever, and dare you to try it and they recommend fermenting the dough overnight, May try this next time. Also, I remember on pizzapollooza foodtv show that one of the chicago places had a very yellow/gold dough, I thought that it was cornmeal, but it might be semolina. I dont know for sure, but it is just a though. Any other thoughts?)

I also cheated and added 3Tbs of my sourdough starter to it and cut back just a tad on the water. (the starter is not the one out of Peter Rs book)
I think this step eliminates the overnite fermentation for the dough, cause the wife invited friends by for pizza and had to make the dough at about 1:30 in the afternoon the day of. I let it ferment in the hot garage.
At about 5:30 when I got home to make the pies, the dough was risen, and smelled great!

I dont know if it is a sin to use Chigago style dough for 16"screen cooked New York style crust, but thats what I did. NO THEY DIDNT STICK TO THE SCREENS THIS TIME, YAAAA :D I did give em a spray though.

Made my seafood pie: crust, provalone and
grouyer(sp?), crabmeat, scallops, shrimp, and lemonzest. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D with a dash of Tabasco on my pieces 8)

Comments by consumers: This is the best pizza I ever had (X2)
The wife said it was the best one I did yet for those toppings and if we did those toppings againg, ONLY use this crust.

Any thoughts!!
Pizzaholic