Author Topic: Whats the best way to make my pizza? Someone please help. Im new.  (Read 1499 times)

Offline joejoepizza

• I Love Pizza!
Hey everyone.  Ive never posted before but ive been reading on this site for a while now.  I'm going to make a Lehman (I think thats his name) NY pizza this week, i finally go t the pizza stone and peel.  I have 2 questions.

1. I don't have a mixer and most reciepes only give directions thinking you have one.  If I'm going to mix and knead my dough by hand, whats the best way to do it?  Please try to be simple I don't know a lot about mixing pizza yet.

2. I hate olive oil.  I don't like its smell or taste.  what's another kind of oil i can use in my NY dough that won't change the taste of the dough, at least not too much or too much like olives.

Thanks for all your help.  I'll put up some pics after i make one,. :)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Whats the best way to make my pizza? Someone please help. Im new.
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 08:56:59 AM »
joejoepizza,

There are many ways to combine and hand knead pizza ingredients, and just about any dough recipe (other perhaps than a cracker crust dough recipe) can be converted to a hand-kneaded version, but this post might help in relation to your Lehmann dough: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,576.msg5674.html#msg5674 (Reply 68). Since I wrote that post, I have discovered that it is possible to hand knead a larger amount of a high-gluten dough for a pizza size greater than 12". To do that, I advise using a high hydration (a high level of water of around 63%, by weight of flour) and also use one or more rest periods (autolyse or quasi-autolyse rest periods) during the kneading. During the rest periods, the dough will soften and be easier to handle. As noted in the above post, I made reference to the advice given by the King Arthur company to only use machines to do the kneading when using the King Arthur Sir Lancelot flour. It took me a long time to figure it out, but I ultimately concluded that the King Arthur advice was more relevant to making bread dough, which requires significant gluten development, than pizza dough, which should be slightly underkneaded (with less gluten development). If you are using a flour other than high-gluten flour, it should be even easier to hand knead and you may not need to use rest periods, although many members prefer to do so even in such cases. If you use a flour other than high-gluten flour, I also advise that you lower the hydration percent. The actual amount will depend on the type of flour used.

As for the type of oil to use, you can use just about any oil that you prefer. If you don't like olive oil, a good substitute among the types most commonly found in the supermarket would be canola oil. Professionals commonly use plain vegetable oil. Unless you like the flavor of corn oil, I would tend to avoid it. I think you will find that just about any oil can be used with the Lehmann dough formulation without really tasting it in the finished crust because the amount of oil in the basic Lehmann dough formulation is just 1%, which is too small to produce strong oil flavors in the finished crust.

Peter
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 01:26:24 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
Re: Whats the best way to make my pizza? Someone please help. Im new.
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 10:44:44 AM »
I'll just add to what Pete said and say that there are many people who don't put *any* oil in the pizza.  I'd suspect that you could make a perfectly fine "Lehmann" pizza without the oil.  You'll also find that the "true Neapolitan pizza" doesn't use any oil either.  So feel free to just leave it out :)

EDIT:
I'll add further and say that although you would probably be able to taste the difference between a pizza with olive oil and a pizza without olive oil, the taste will not be one of "olives"--it doesn't work that way.  I'm not a huge fan of olive oil or olives either, and I'm a rather picky eater, yet any pizzas I've made with olive oil have tasted just fine to me.  Make sure if you do add olive oil that you do NOT use extra virgin; just use regular or mild olive oil.  The extra virgin *does* impart a rather olive-y taste to the pizza, and I didn't like that at all.

Good luck,
Dave
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 10:51:53 AM by canadave »