Author Topic: is ingredient scaling really linear?  (Read 888 times)

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
is ingredient scaling really linear?
« on: December 08, 2006, 03:16:37 PM »
OK, this is either really good thinking on my part, or (more likely) the stupidest question ever asked on this forum.  But it's a slow day at work today, and I have too much time to think.  My question: is ingredient scaling really totally linear? i.e. if the recipe for one pizza pie calls for 1 pound of flour, one cup of water, 1 tsp yeast, then, if I want to make 2 pizza pies at once, do I use 2 pounds of flour, two cups of water, and 2 tsp of yeast for that single larger dough ball?

I know, I know.........yes, that sounds self-evident.  But the amateur scientist in me always questions the "self-evident."

I'm thinking here in particular of yeast.  Since yeast rises, and a dough ball is a rough sphere, assuming the yeast is evenly distributed throughout, wouldn't making a dough ball of twice the spherical volume require something more or less than precisely 2x the amount of yeast?  Pie x r squared or something like that?

Sigh...the more I type in this post, the less intelligent I feel.....

--Dave

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: is ingredient scaling really linear?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 03:27:34 PM »
Dave,

Your question is actually a good one. A similar question was recently posed by member Buffalo at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3463.msg29335.html#msg29335. You might also want to check out the links referenced in the Buffalo thread, where I and others attempted to answer the question. Note, in particular, the response by members DINKS, a baker by training.

Peter

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
Re: is ingredient scaling really linear?
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 03:34:11 PM »
Dave,

Your question is actually a good one. A similar question was recently posed by member Buffalo at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3463.msg29335.html#msg29335. You might also want to check out the links referenced in the Buffalo thread, where I and others attempted to answer the question. Note, in particular, the response by members DINKS, a baker by training.

Peter

Thanks Pete, I knew you'd be among the first to chime in on this.  The sad part is, one of the links you provided references yet another link to a similar discussion thread from 2005--in which I seem to have asked much the same question.  Strange how the mind plays tricks on you sometimes in middle age.....

--Dave

pizzapan