Author Topic: Last Nights NewYork-a-Politan  (Read 1830 times)

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza & Sex -- Good? Great! Bad? Still okay.
    • My Pizza Gallery
Last Nights NewYork-a-Politan
« on: December 10, 2006, 05:53:36 PM »
Made this pie last night with Harvest King and a 3-day fridge rise.  It was tasty! 

Love some feedback from the experts  (except about the state of the kitchen...) :chef:
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 07:53:01 PM by Glutenboy »
Quote under my pic excludes Little Caesar's.

Offline chiguy

Re: Last Nights NewYork-a-Politan
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 08:31:15 PM »
 Glutenboy,
 The pizza looks good but i notice a few irregular air bubbles(on the top of the crust). Did you let the dough warm up enough prior to baking??   Chiguy
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 08:41:55 PM by chiguy »

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 09:04:55 PM »
I know it's against the grain of some, but I actually strive for the bubbles!

Offline Ronzo

• Supporting Member
  • Beer, freedom n' pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 09:18:31 PM »
I know it's against the grain of some, but I actually strive for the bubbles!

Dude... I'm with you. I love the bubbles.

Reminds me of the stuff I grew up with. Just enough imperfection to be perfect. ;)

By the way, yours looks real good, but I'm far from an 'expert'.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 09:04:22 PM by Ronzo »
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://ronlennex.com/ - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline alm99

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 01:36:39 PM »
What sauce did you use? What dough recipe?

Offline Scagnetti

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2006, 07:08:24 PM »
Is that sausage on that pie? It looks pre-cooked. I prefer the taste of sausage over pepperoni so I'm always looking for ways to use it in my pies. Did you use fresh sausage to start, cook it, and after it has cooled, slice it?

Also, I'm a big bubble person too!

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006, 08:21:52 PM »
Okay.  First dough...

I developed this recipe before I started lurking about here, so my measurements are a combination of volume and feel.  I intend to use my kitchen scale to convert the recipe to weight measurements and bakers' percentages.  I used about 2 1/2 cups of Gold Medal Harvest King flour, 1 rounded teaspoon of salt, and 1 cup plus about an extra ounce of warm (100-110) water with 1 teaspoon of active dry yeast dissolved in it.  No autolyse, just a quick mix with the KitchenAid spiral dough hook followed by a 10-20 minute rest period for hydration purposes.  Then I mix on 2-3 for just a couple of minutes.  The resulting dough should be stretchy and somewhat sticky -- a bit hard to handle, but not unmanageable.  If the dough is at all stiff, add water 1 tbsp. at a time until it's as described.  I do a bulk room-temperature rise on the countertop for about an hour, scale it into 2 dough balls,  coat them VERY LIGHTLY with extra virgin olive oil and put each in its own 1-gallon ziplock which is also VERY LIGHTLY coated with evoo.  Use as little oil as possible.  It prevents sticking, but too much changes the character of the dough.  Then the dough balls go into the fridge for a 3-4 day retardation period.  This aging really builds flavor and improves the crumb, and is, in my opinion, indispensable.  I think it is the only way to develop depth of flavor without using a starter.  Before stretching the dough, it should get at least a 30-min counter rise or an hour if you can spare it.  (This depends on the consistency of the dough... the softer and gassier it is, the less time on the counter.)  When you stretch the dough, if you like bubbles in the crust, be careful not to pop the bubbles around the rim.  I cook it on a stone (actually 18 x 16 tiles cut to fit my oven rack) with the rack in the bottom position and my gas oven set to broil.  The broiler on my oven is on the bottom, so this is actually a very high-temperature bake.

Sauce --
Sautee 1 small clove garlic and a pinch of crushed red pepper in a little evoo.   Then add 2 cans WELL DRAINED whole tomatoes (I used 1 can Cento DOP and 1 can Muir Glenn).  I use just the pulp and none of the liquid from the cans.  Let 'em sizzle for maybe 30 seconds.  Salt to taste as you stir them.  You don't want to cook the tomatoes, just scald them and infuse the flavors from the oil.  Take them off the heat and pour them right into a bowl.  At this point, I puree them using a hand-held immersion mixer.  Let it cool, and refrigerate it overnight.  (even better the next day!!!)

Cheese --
I apply a light mix of grated Reggiano and Pecorino Romano over a thin layer of sauce, and then use sliced Belgioso cryo-packed fresh mozzarella.

The sausage is boiled until fully cooked, sliced and sauteed.  I know many like to put in on raw, I find that my process intensifies the flavor without drying it out.

I use a combo of Harvest King and Semolina on the peel as release agents, and cook it right on the tiles without a screen.

Okay...  I'm exhausted.  I hope I was helpful.

Oh yeah!!!  Drizzle evoo over the pie before cooking and apply fresh Basil AFTER the pizza comes out of the oven.

If anyone tries to follow any or all of my procedure, I'd love to hear about it!!!

-- Glutenboy  ;D

Offline Scagnetti

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2006, 06:07:25 PM »
Cheese --
I apply a light mix of grated Reggiano and Pecorino Romano over a thin layer of sauce, and then use sliced Belgioso cryo-packed fresh mozzarella.

The sausage is boiled until fully cooked, sliced and sauteed.  I know many like to put in on raw, I find that my process intensifies the flavor without drying it out.

I like the Reggiano and Romano idea but can you really taste those cheeses after the pie is cooked?

I like your use of sausage. The thought of putting raw sausage on a pizza makes me gag.  Too much fat and I doubt it gets fully cooked if the pie is only in the oven for 5-7 minutes.

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2006, 08:26:26 PM »
Oh yes, I can absolutely taste them, and when I have used cheaper substitutes, the difference in quality is definitely detectable... especially the Reggiano -- There is no substitute!