Author Topic: Spinach PIZZA  (Read 2229 times)

Offline Y-TOWN

Spinach PIZZA
« on: December 14, 2006, 12:05:14 AM »
Has anyone tried this delight - I did the other day.

Typical 24 hr. pizza crust with frozen spinach cooked in the frying pan, some garlic, little EVOO, few spices - Romano cheese sprinkled on the top, provolone slices on the crust prior to the spinach layer - was very good, but looking to improve the recipe. Any help out there in Pizza land ??

This pizza tasted better than my typical red, but looking to improve it :chef:

Offline Y-TOWN

Re: Spinach PIZZA
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 07:14:47 PM »
Just made my second spinach pizza - they are getting better reviews in my house than my red :pizza:

Offline Shystev99

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 02:37:54 PM »
I sometimes do a deepdish spinach pizza similar to yours.

Here is mine, I've played with it a few times.

FILLING INGREDIENTS:
2 FROZEN CHICKEN BREASTS (CUBED)
2 1-LB BAG FROZEN SPINACH
1 - 8 OZ BAG SHREDDED MOZZARELLA
1 - 4 OZ CAN SLICED BLACK OLIVES
1 - 4 OZ CAN SLICED MUSHROOMS
TEASPOON NUTMEG
1 TABLESPOON CHICKEN / RIB RUB
SALT (TO TASTE)
2 TEASPOONS BLACK PEPPER
1 TEASPOON CRUSHED RED PEPPER
3 CLOVES GARLIC (MINCED)
FRESH ONION (DICED)
FRESH RED BELL PEPPER (DICED)

FILLING DIRECTIONS:
CUBE RAW CHICKEN AND COOK IN SKILLET WITH SOME CANOLA OIL. WHILE COOKING ADD SALT TO TASTE AND CHICKEN RIB RUB. SET COOKED CHICKEN ASIDE
IN A LARGE COVERED SAUCEPOT HEAT SPINACH, ADD SALT (TO TASTE). WHEN FULLY HEATED TURN OFF HEAT AND COMBINE FOLLOWING INGREDIENTS TO SPINACH. BLACK PEPPEER, CRUSHED RED PEPPER, NUTMEG, OLIVES, MUSHROOMS, GARLIC. STIR TILL MIXED WELL, COVER AND SET ASIDE. SPREAD DOUGH TO PIZZA PAN. ADD MOZZERALLA CHEESE TO SPINACH MIXTURE, STIR TO COMBINE

To assemble the Pizza Line your deepdish pan with dough, Place the cooked chicken cubes on bottom, Then pour the spinach, cheese filling over the top. Pack down till even.
Preheat your oven to 425 for about 10 minutes and bake at 425 for 15-20 minutes

You could layer the mushrooms, olives, onions etc....If you wanted. Personally I just mix em all in the same pot with the spinach and where they end up is where they stay. Also it lets all the flavors meld together a little more.
Steve

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 03:17:21 PM »
Steve,

That looks like a pretty good deep dish filling.  The one thing that keeps me from making deep dish pizzas on a regular basis is the excess calories, and especially excess fat, cholesterol, and sodium.  A chicken-spinach deep dish is one of the only ways I could conceive of making it healthy and worth the while for me.  The only things I would change from what you have for my tastes is: use fresh spinach instead of frozen, adobo instead of rib rub salt, and a little more onion instead of bell pepper.

- red.november

Offline Shystev99

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 03:52:14 PM »
Hi November,
I'd agree it'd probably be better with Fresh Spinach. I used frozen and canned ingredients mainly because Its easier to make at a moments notice. Just thaw the spinach and chicken and your good to go.
I haven't made it in a good 6-9 months. So I don't recall how much onion or bell pepper I used. I usually go by looks. I didn't want to much onion, Because since the spinach is kind of bland or mild, I didn't want the onions to overwhelm things to much.
I've also tried it with diced tomatoes on top, But I didn't care for that. To me the tomatoes clashed with everything else, And it was kind of overwhelming to me. (Now a few sundried tomatoes mixed in with everything else might work, Never tried that though)
This way everything is pretty neutral flavorwise and everything seems more balanced.
But thats just my tastes. I'd like to see how others tweek or modify it.
I've also thought about using big chunks of portobello mushrooms in place of the chicken. Just never tried it.
Steve

pizzapan