Author Topic: W.I.P Wood Fired Oven  (Read 913 times)

Offline OZ STAR

• I Love Pizza!
W.I.P Wood Fired Oven
« on: January 12, 2015, 08:03:36 AM »
I am a bit loath to post here seeing I have only just joined this forum. I am completely inexperienced at making Pizza's and Bread. But because I have been renovating at home and landscaping our outdoor entertainment area I thought a Pizza Oven might look good.

It was a case of " Build it, and they will come. " But would they eat it. That is why I joined here hoping that you all might be able to help me produce a Pizza dough that is edible and at least as good as my favorite and now the standard bearer the Cosco Pizza that has been discussed in this forum before.

We have a Cosco here even if it is a bit far away and I was impressed with the Pizza dough. Unfortunately, they guard it well and do not sell it.

So, here is my attempt at a Wood fired Oven, because I am cheap, no fancy Artisan build here, more like what you might expect from some Moonshine, back country, it will do the job, hopefully.

Because I have been doing some renovating our outdoor entertainment area I had a lot of clay dug up to put posts in for the roof of the deck we had built. I also had lying around a steel drum, 5/16 inch thick, 26 inches long and 20 inches wide.

I have not finished it yet but have it to the stage where I have had a few fires in it and so far, all seems well.

Step 1.

Steel drum,  clay, and setting up the oven.

More to come, if you are interested in a hillbilly build.

Pete

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
Re: W.I.P Wood Fired Oven
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 09:43:58 AM »
I am a bit loath to post here seeing I have only just joined this forum. I am completely inexperienced at making Pizza's and Bread. But because I have been renovating at home and landscaping our outdoor entertainment area I thought a Pizza Oven might look good.

It was a case of " Build it, and they will come. " But would they eat it. That is why I joined here hoping that you all might be able to help me produce a Pizza dough that is edible and at least as good as my favorite and now the standard bearer the Cosco Pizza that has been discussed in this forum before.

Looks like  a great project. You can make some great dough to go in there.  When you get that baby fired up see how hot it gets on the floor and higher up and post that here. We can direct you to a good recipe based on the temperature you will be baking at.  Very generally, if your oven heats to over 800F or so then you will want to make Neapolitan style pizza; if you are down around 650F or so then you could do something more like a New York style pizza

Offline OZ STAR

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 03:25:49 PM »
Thanks Tin.

That is the kind of reply I was hoping for. When reading through a few posts in this forum it became clear to me that their is a lot more to this then what I first thought.

I hope you guys can put up with my rambling until I get my head around what I have got, what I want and then try to work out the direction I have to go.

Also, try to understand what my oven is best at, and then concentrate building up from there.

Thanks

Pete

Offline OZ STAR

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 03:44:22 PM »
That's odd.

I had apparently double posted the two photos and then put in another post apologizing for doing so.

Now, the two photos have been removed and my post explaining what happened is gone too. Guess the Mods on here are all over a new member until they get their Credentials.

Thanks to the person who removed them.

Pete

Offline OZ STAR

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 03:05:12 PM »
My build looks very rustic compared to the Artisans in here. But, at this stage of my project I can say that my near empty wallet hasn't had much damage to it.

My only costs so far have been:

Sweat equity
14 fire bricks. Total cost about $35.
12 red solid clay pavers. Free as they were left over from another project years ago.
Clay. Sweat equity
Steel drum.  Free, used as an incinerator  for forty years.
1 bag of hydrated lime
1 bucket of cow manure, free compliments of my two Dexter Miniature Cows. Pride and Grace.
1 steel grate from old security door.
small quantity of fine Plasters sand.
two rolls of ordinary, best quality, household Aluminum kitchen foil for insulation.
some hardwood 8 inch x 3 inch x 4 feet old railway iron bark sleepers { hard as nails }
8 Hebel Building blocks.  A.A.C. for insulation and easy shaping.
3 cartridges od Builders Construction Adhesive at $2.00 each.

and an old metal table I had in my workshop that was donated to the cause by my sliding drop saw.

Pete
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 03:17:16 PM by OZ STAR »

Offline OZ STAR

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 03:12:23 PM »
Also you will notice some steel I welded to the front and back of the hollow drum. This is the picture of the old security gate I had that was cut down so I could lie the fire bricks on them to get and even floor.

Pete

Offline Wazza McG

• Aussie Aussie Aussie .... Oi Oi Oi !!
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 03:45:40 AM »
Hi Pete,

Anything I can share with you on my knowledge of pizza consumables I will duly share with you.  Welcome to this forum, good advise from here is plentiful  ;D

Hoping to see another Cane Toad and Titan supporter here?  is that you?

Cheers,
Warren
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 03:48:48 AM by Wazza McG »
Fair Dinkum - you want more Pizza!  Crikey ! I've run out out them prawny thingymebobs again!

Offline OZ STAR

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 05:44:43 AM »
Hi Pete,

Anything I can share with you on my knowledge of pizza consumables I will duly share with you.  Welcome to this forum, good advise from here is plentiful  ;D

Hoping to see another Cane Toad and Titan supporter here?  is that you?

Cheers,
Warren

Thanks Warren.

Yes I am a cane Toad supporter. My family are all Titans but I am an ex North Queensland boy so I am red hot Cowboys. Although Titans are my second team and we are all Titans members especially my daughter, the Flight Attendant.

We always fly to Townsville for the Cowboys - Titans game.

Thanks for the offer of help. Finding supplies to make Pizza seemed simple at first, but reading a few of the threads on here, maybe I have got ahead of myself.

Will be in touch.

Pete

Offline OZ STAR

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 08:20:52 PM »
The next stage.

Offline carl333

• Quest for a great dough!
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2015, 10:18:12 AM »
The next stage.
Keep on posting. Curious on what temps you get and of course your 1st pizza attempts in the oven
Carl

Offline OZ STAR

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2015, 04:07:02 AM »
I have just ordered on E bay an infra red hand held non contact thermometer that goes to 550 degrees centregrade.

I should hopefully be able to see what temp I am at with that.

Pete

Online TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2015, 09:02:53 AM »
Is that duct tape?

Are you going to close up the back of the oven?
Pizza is not bread. Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline OZ STAR

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2015, 03:30:12 PM »
Is that duct tape?

Are you going to close up the back of the oven?

Yes. That is duct tape.

It was put there to hold the six layers of Aluminium foil I wrapped around the steel barrel in place. Because I was doing this Woof Fired Oven in my spare time I had to hold it in place with something.

I figured because it would have no contact with the inside of the oven and it was going to be covered with a mixture comprising the following.

Clay
Sand
Hay
Manure
Wood shavings
and Hydrated Lime

for the insulation and then a mixture comprising just Clay, Sand and hydrated lime with Yellow oxide I bought cheap for some of the top coats.

I have had to do about six layers.

The back was filled in with some solid red clay pavers that I had cut and shaped similar to the front so I had a neat fit inside the steel drum inner circle.

The mortar I used for all the brickwork and the base below the fire bricks in the barrel was a mixture of Clay, sand and hydrated lime. The next photo will show the rear of the oven filled in with the clay bricks.

The reason I used them was because I am cheap and had them lying around otherwise I would have had to use expensive fire bricks. My research indicated that a lot of people just used clay pavers for the oven but I went with the fire brick floor laid on a metal screen and levelled out with a mixture of Clay, sand and hydrated lime.

The back of the clay bricks was covered with some Hebel A.A.C. concrete blocks that went up to the level of the side level. As the oven sat on a floor of Aluminium foil plus Hebel  blocks and then the 3 inch hardwood I figure with luck that might be sufficient insulation.

The gap at the bottom of the drum and the sides of the Hebel blocks was filled wit a Clay, sand and hydrated lime mortar mix for extra mass.

This was not a commercial oven and I was basing the build on something I had read plus my own interpretation of the adjustments I could make based on my ability and materials at my disposal.

The more insulation and mass the longer the oven will take to reach critical heat and the longer it will hold that heat.  It then becomes a trade off, the quicker the heat, the quickerr the loss when the heat source is removed. That was the unknown to me, but at this stage I think it looks like it will take about three hours to reach critical mass heat and hold that heat for a few hours then start to drop slowly.

That is where my new thermometer will help. If I have to put more mass into the build it can easily be done, but being time poor, I have already mentioned money poor, I may go with what I have got. It is not like the oven will be used every day ,be lucky if it is just once a month.

I built it mainly for show and to fit in with our outdoor entertainment area that I am working on at the moment.

Thanks for your interest and comments.

Pete

« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 06:14:31 PM by OZ STAR »

Offline OZ STAR

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2015, 04:22:22 PM »
Here is the stage I am currently at. I have just acquired the steel for the door. I had to wait till some fell off a truck which did not happen so bought some cheap as an offcut.

But, the door does not stop me from using the oven in the meantime, so all is good. ( Hopefully )

Pete >:D

PS

The final pics are off a cow I carved and used an old cream can and converted it into an ice cooler to fit in with the rustic scene I am looking for in my outdoor entertainment area.

Offline OZ STAR

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2015, 05:09:22 AM »
Finally received my Infra Red Thermometer from China. Cost $18 A. including postage to Aust.

Looks exactly like any other yellow coloured infra Red Thermometer like you guys have over there. ( Nubee ? }  It has a temp range of -50c to 550c  or -58f to 1022f.

When the rain stops here, I will fire up my new WFO up and see what temperature we get up to and how long it remains close to that temp without falling too much.

My initial trials suggest that I might be ok, but this thermometer will give me a better idea and of course the proof will be in the eating. I am interested to see if a cheap home built oven can match it with the ones you guys have like  Pizza Party or similar.

Pete
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 05:14:05 AM by OZ STAR »

Online TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2015, 08:54:52 AM »
Love the cow.
Pizza is not bread. Craig's Neapolitan Garage

pizzapan