Author Topic: Spark arrestor for Pizza Party?  (Read 405 times)

Offline bradtri

Spark arrestor for Pizza Party?
« on: May 23, 2016, 03:00:19 PM »
Has anybody retrofitted or somehow put a spark arrestor on a Pizza Party?  I've had cases where a little too aggressive fire was actually making it all the way out the top of the chimney, so I'm thinking the draft is strong enough to definitely pull embers up and out and I'd like to increase the safety factor.

One thing I know very little about is chimney vents, etc.  Is the pipe on the PP a non-standard size in the US?

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
Re: Spark arrestor for Pizza Party?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 03:26:43 PM »
Has anybody retrofitted or somehow put a spark arrestor on a Pizza Party?  I've had cases where a little too aggressive fire was actually making it all the way out the top of the chimney, so I'm thinking the draft is strong enough to definitely pull embers up and out and I'd like to increase the safety factor.

One thing I know very little about is chimney vents, etc.  Is the pipe on the PP a non-standard size in the US?

Great question.  Thanks for asking it.

I have been wanting to do the same.  I have never seen a spark or ember fly out but I have seen flames licking out a couple of times.  I once had a PM with Mkevenson (Mark) about this (he has not been active for quite awhile).  He tried a screen on the top but he said it got grungy quickly and began to block - he abandoned it.

I have looked around a lot and I concluded the PP size is not available.  If you or someone else finds it available, it would be great to know!
Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 05:01:07 PM »
Screen is too fine, use 1/4x1/4 hardware cloth.  Also, don't just put it flat across the top, make an inverted cup shape to increase the surface area/decrease the backpressure.

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 05:03:58 PM »
Screen is too fine, use 1/4x1/4 hardware cloth.  Also, don't just put it flat across the top, make an inverted cup shape to increase the surface area/decrease the backpressure.

Like this?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-4-in-x-2-ft-x-5-ft-Hardware-Cloth-308231HD/204331884
Mitch

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 05:08:05 PM »
Yes, paint it with high heat paint before use though.

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 05:13:22 PM »
Tom - thank you.  Would you please take a look at this:

The little cap that is on top is handy in that it helps snuff out the fire after using the oven.  Theoretically, it can be used to control temperature (they say that) for low baking and roasting temperatures.  I don't know about that part.

In any event, can the hardware cloth be placed inside the pipe so that the cap is still usable?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 05:23:35 PM by mitchjg »
Mitch

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 05:32:17 PM »
Yes, but it will be flat so it will have to be cleaned sometime.  Make the same cup shape, but make it small enough to fit inside the pipe for that application.

Offline bradtri

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 05:47:57 PM »
Wow, thanks to both of you for your replies and for extending the discussion.  Would there be a need to fasten the hardware cloth on the inside of the pipe or just leave the outer edges flared out so that it's just a pressure fit?

Also, just to be clear, the curve of the hardware cloth should be curved downwards to form a dome, vs upwards which would from a crater? 

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2016, 08:46:08 PM »
Pressure fit is fine, I use the same method, upside down, in my ash can to catch charcoal.  Yes, the "legs" go down.

Offline moosebytes

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2016, 07:48:01 AM »

Yes, the PP pipe is non US standard. To convert it to a standard 6" pipe, I had to have an adaptor made out of black stove pipe. It cost me $30.

Offline bradtri

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2016, 12:08:19 PM »

Yes, the PP pipe is non US standard. To convert it to a standard 6" pipe, I had to have an adaptor made out of black stove pipe. It cost me $30.

Thanks Moosebytes.  Where I'm eventually going with this is that I'm toying with the idea of having the Pizza Party entirely under a 10'x10' canopy and running the pipe out through the canopy roof.  That way I could put sidewalls on my canopy to block the wind and have the Pizza Party sitting inside the  walls.  Here's one video showing how to do something like this for a wood stove in a  tent: 

What do you guys think of this?  Is it doable or am I playing with too much fire ... so to speak?