Author Topic: PLEASE HELP!! DLX suddenly making loud noise???  (Read 5511 times)

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
PLEASE HELP!! DLX suddenly making loud noise???
« on: December 16, 2006, 11:46:06 PM »
Okay, I'm almost afraid to post this, as I shudder to think what is going to happen if my brand new $500 (not to mention $75 in shipping) DLX 2000 mixer is broken.

I used my new DLX twice.  No problems.  The last time, I made a whole bunch of pizza dough, enough to fill the bowl almost to the top of the bowl...enough for eight 15" pizza doughs.  Only at the very end of that large batch did the mixer motor start to sound like it was struggling a bit with the amount of dough, on the very lowest speed....but at that point I was done, so I didn't take any more notice.

I just tried making another batch of dough.  As soon as I turned on the motor, I could hear a definite difference.  Before, it was relatively quiet.  Now it sounds like a grinding demon...the motor is REALLY loud.  What the heck has happened????

Is this my imagination?  I took a video with my digital camera....can someone familiar with their DLX tell me if this is the sound it's *supposed* to make??....http://canadave.homeip.net/movies/loudDLX.mov

If not, what could be the problem?  Please, please, please don't tell me it's broken and I need to send it back....  :'(
I'm in the middle of making the dough anyway, despite the motor noise, and it seems to work okay...but this seems MUCH louder than it was the first two times! :(

--Dave
Dave

Offline pizzoid

• Lifetime Member
  • A Hideous, Addictive, substance dependency
Re: PLEASE HELP!! DLX suddenly making loud noise???
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 08:54:12 AM »
Does anyone else think the high frequencies imply that there may be damage at the first gear take-off from the motor, or damage in the bearing or mount on the motor?

Offline Jack

• Pizza; it's what's for dinner, breakfast........
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 09:54:38 AM »
I think the best thing you can do now, especially with a new mixer, is contact the company, make them aware of the noise, and let them guide you.  Bearings and other mechanical things do have failures right out of the box sometimes.  It's what a warantee is all about.

There is a failure curve called a bathtub curve.  Failures rates are very high in the beginning and at the end.  Visualize a graph with higher values on both ends.  Once you get past break-in and the first few months of use, the likelyhood of a long life are in place.  An occassional initial failure, while unusual, is not unexpected for any manufacturer.

As long as you were operating within the parameters of the machine, there should be no issue from the manufacturer.  I'd push for them to pay shipping both ways too.  They should and many manufacturers will.

Jack

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 10:48:58 AM »
Right....the only problem is, I bought it online from the USA, and I live in Canada  :'(  And there doesn't seem to be any service centres within 200 miles of me (I checked on Electrolux Canada's website).  It means that unless there's a service centre in Canada (and my wife is checking on that today), I'm going to have to ship it back to the US...and then pay to have it shipped back, I'm sure (in fact the warranty card says any shipping charges for warranty service are my responsibility).  That means at least $150 round trip :(  For something that isn't my fault! Arghhhhh........

Sorry, everybody....this is just about as disappointing as it gets........ :(

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 01:40:15 PM »
UPDATE:

OK, this is really crazy :)

I'm at work right now, so my wife took it upon herself to try to help get my mixer fixed.  She just called me a few minutes ago and told me what happened:

First she called the Kodiak Health Company, the place in the US from which we purchased our DLX, to see what they could do for us.  They said to contact Electrolux.  So she did.  Electrolux told her there is ONE service centre for the DLX in ALL OF NORTH AMERICA!  And that is in New Jersey.  And it's a single person--a Mr. Ross.

So my wife dutifully calls Mr. Ross.  It rings a few times, and then a lady picks up and says, "Hello?"  My wife, uncertainly, says, "Errr....is Mr. Ross there?"  "Who's calling?" the person wants to know. 

My wife explains the situation.  The person says "hang on a sec" and puts her on hold.  A minute or so later, Mr. Ross comes on the phone.  My wife explains the problem with the DLX--and guess what?  He knows exactly what the problem is.  It's apparently something he sees all the time.  Apparently, there's some sort of bracket that holds the motor in place, and in shipping, it can sometimes get bent.

"No problem," he says.  "Is there anyone handy in your house?"
"Ummm...I guess my husband and I are both fairly handy?" my wife says.
"Okay...fax me your contact info, and I'll send you a replacement part.  When you get it in the mail, give me a call, and I'll walk you through the replacement steps."
"But what if we break it or something?" my wife asks, thinking we'd be voiding the warranty or creating more problems if that happens.
"Don't worry, it's not that hard."

Is this wild or what?  I mean, I'm overjoyed at the prospect of NOT having to send my mixer back and forth at great expense and with inevitable delays...but this has got to be the strangest "warranty experience" I've ever had!  :o It's a little freaky to think that there's one guy in the whole continent who fixes Electrolux mixers!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 01:42:33 PM by canadave »

Offline pizzoid

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 01:47:24 PM »
Is this wild or what?  I mean, I'm overjoyed at the prospect of NOT having to send my mixer back and forth at great expense and with inevitable delays...but this has got to be the strangest "warranty experience" I've ever had!  :o It's a little freaky to think that there's one guy in the whole continent who fixes Electrolux mixers!

I wonder if he looks like that old Maytag repairman? :D

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 02:14:04 PM »
Wow!  That is one unmistakable noise.  Kinda sounds like something rubbing against the shroud.  I'm glad it worked out for you.  Can you post Mr. Ross' contact info?  The retaining ring that holds the arm pin in place busted. 
I made about 12 pounds of Caputo yesterday without any problems at all.  Let us DLX'ers know how it turns out.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2006, 03:06:53 PM »
You should go home and give your wife a big hug for sure.

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2006, 03:17:06 PM »
No kidding, Randy! :)  I always hug her anyways (who else would put up with my pizza obsession???), but she's earned a bonus one for sure.

For those who wanted contact info, here it is.  Due to phone transmission issues, I found out: it's "Mr. ROTH," not "Mr. ROSS."  For what it's worth, I've found at least one other website that confirms this info:

Royalux Corp.
Mr. Roth (apparently, no first name is ever given!)
105 Pleasant Avenue
Saddle River, NJ  07458
Phone: (201) 785-8840
Fax (apparently his preferred mode of contact info communication): (201) 785-8841
Email: contact@magicmillusa.com

Also for what it's worth, if you go to http://www.magicmillusa.com and look at the contact info, it's exactly the same (although the contact name is "Magic Mill International Headquarters" rather than "Mr. Roth").  So I'm thinking this enigmatic Mr. Roth is the main tech support/importer/wholesaler guy for Magic Mill in North America.

I also just got the following reply back from Electrolux Canada:

Thank you for contacting Electrolux Major Appliances.

Unfortunately we are unable to help you with your appliance. We are the
manufacturers of major appliances only ex. ranges, refrigerators, freezers
etc. We do not own the rights to small appliances. I do not have a number
to give you for the small appliances either. I would suggest that you go
back to the place of purchase and ask the dealer for a contact number.

This would seem to square with Mr. Roth as being the main contact.

Very interesting stuff.  Sort of bizarre, but interesting!  Hope this info helps other DLX people....

--Dave
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 03:18:51 PM by canadave »

Offline Jack

• Pizza; it's what's for dinner, breakfast........
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2006, 08:01:45 PM »
Awesome!

Jack

Offline SteveVit

• Supporting Member
    • Yo!
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2006, 02:29:12 AM »
Thanks for posting the "Mr Roth" contact info - a great lead for us DLX owners. 
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2006, 10:03:24 AM »
You're all welcome--glad to be of some help I hope.  When I get the part in the mail for my mixer, and I call Mr. Roth, believe me I'm going to get some more answers: who is this guy, is he the only contact for DLX repair in N. America, etc.

Offline pizzoid

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2006, 10:19:16 AM »
You're all welcome--glad to be of some help I hope.  When I get the part in the mail for my mixer, and I call Mr. Roth, believe me I'm going to get some more answers: who is this guy, is he the only contact for DLX repair in N. America, etc.

Maybe you can find out if there are actually any instructions in how to use the thing, from the manufacturer?

- Al

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2006, 10:32:58 AM »
Maybe you can find out if there are actually any instructions in how to use the thing, from the manufacturer?

- Al
Al--not sure what you mean here.  Do you mean instructions other than the ones that are in the user manual that ships with the mixer?

Offline pizzoid

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2006, 10:38:43 AM »
Al--not sure what you mean here.  Do you mean instructions other than the ones that are in the user manual that ships with the mixer?

Yeah - we've been muttering in various forums about how there really isn't any guidance for using the DLX with dough other than the single paragraph in the 12 language user manual. One might think that the folks who build these things _might_ have used them themselves over the years they've been offered!

- Al

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2006, 10:43:38 AM »
Hmmmm...I'll have to double-check, but I could swear that my manual has more than a single paragraph on using the DLX with dough.  I'll look when I get home from work.

My manual isn't great either though.  I'll ask Mr. Roth if he's got any ideas on where we can find better instructions.

Offline SteveVit

• Supporting Member
    • Yo!
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2006, 01:24:53 AM »
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mixer-owners/

I've been a member of this group for a few months but really haven't spent much time looking around, it might have some useful info.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2007, 03:11:22 PM »
My DLX is fixed!!!!  ;D

I'm going to post separately shortly, explaining what happened and how I repaired it...with photos :)

--Dave

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2007, 01:56:13 AM »
OK, the thread containing my repair story (with photos) is here:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=4471.msg37318#msg37318