Author Topic: I can't get my crust to crisp up  (Read 1181 times)

Offline holdem

• I Love Pizza!
I can't get my crust to crisp up
« on: December 17, 2006, 10:13:14 PM »
I baked my pizza on a cookie sheat at 450. I oiled the pan. The crust is golden brown but still not crisp. What am I doing wrong?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: I can't get my crust to crisp up
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 10:54:42 PM »
holdem,

Can you post the dough recipe you used, and also provide more detail about your pan, such as its type and color, and whether it has a Teflon or other such coating? Please also indicate which over rack position you used.

Peter

Offline holdem

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 08:04:27 PM »
I just used a premixed pizza dough. I baked it on a dark colored cookie sheat. It may have some type of coating. I put it on the bottom rack. Thanks.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 11:30:27 PM »
holdem,

I suspect the problem may be with the formulation or condition of the pizza dough you are using. If you can tell me what the ingredients are, I might be able to offer more constructive advice. However, one way to get increased crispiness in general is to let the dough rise in your pan for about a half hour or so before putting on the sauce, cheese and toppings, and after dressing the pizza bake it at about 450-475 degrees F until the top crust is browned and the cheese is melted and just starting to turn light brown. Part way through the baking, you can also slide the pizza off of the pan onto one of the oven racks and let it finish baking there. You should watch the bottom of the pizza so that it doesn't burn. Each premade dough and each oven is different, so you may have to do some experimenting with the way the pizza bakes in your oven.

Peter

Offline chiguy

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 11:51:27 PM »
 holdem,
 I think if you continue with pizza making at home you may want to invest in a perforated pan or a pizza screen. The cookie sheet is not very good for producing crispy crust no matter what the formulation/recipe. In my opinion a pizza stone with the right recipe will still give the best results for a crispy crust. The pans are avaiable at www.pizzatools.com
                                                                   Chiguy