Author Topic: Pepperoni Brands --  (Read 54849 times)

Offline Wazatron

• 100% Pizza!!
Re: Pepperoni Brands --
« Reply #100 on: July 31, 2006, 01:33:09 PM »
Hi everyone - I've been reading over this post (and learning a lot!) in trying to find a certain kind of pepperoni that they use on my favorite kind of pizza. This pepperoni is made by the shop, and is intentionally made about 25% leaner than most brands so that they can put more pepperoni on the 'za without making it greasy. It's a rather large in diameter (relatively) and is sliced very thin. It cooks up crisp, but doesn't bowl/cup too much. I've attached a picture of this pepperoni below - does anyone know of any brands that cook up/look like this?

Also, I've tried the following brands: Boars head, Margarita, and Ezzo. All were very good, but just not quite what I'm looking for. They all cooked up rather small in diameter and had a nice bright-red color. As you can see below the pepperoni I'm trying to "find" has a more muted, almost brown/rust kind of color.

Anyhow, thanks so much for all the information!!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 03:35:01 PM by Wazatron »

Offline scpizza

• Demystifying Neapolitan Pizza
« Reply #101 on: March 12, 2007, 11:39:54 AM »
I can't find lean pepperoni anywhere.  Everything I see has the same 12g/28g fat content.  Anyone know of a source of lean pepperoni?

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
« Reply #102 on: March 12, 2007, 12:12:10 PM »
Your best option if you want much lower than 40% fat is to use turkey pepperoni which is only 12% fat.  Otherwise, sweat the pepperoni at room temperature or slightly higher (<104 degrees F) between two paper towels.

- red.november

EDIT: If you want to take reducing the fat to a more extreme level, you could also soak your pepperoni in ethanol (absolute) or a high proof spirit of your choice.  Just remember to soak them in a little water for a short time afterwards to restore the moisture lost through the alcohol.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 12:26:29 PM by November »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #103 on: March 12, 2007, 12:25:34 PM »
In Peter Reinhart's book American Pie, at page 166, he recommends sauteing or boiling the pepperoni slices to release some of the fat. I have microwaved pepperoni slices between paper towels to do the same thing but I haven't tried that for pepperoni slices to be used on standard pizzas, only deep-dish where the slices are under the sauce.

Peter

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
« Reply #104 on: March 14, 2007, 12:16:51 AM »
Is it that I am just used to the spiciness of the pepperoni, or is it not as spicy as it was 20 years ago?
I know with Mexican food, I have grown accustomed to the heat, but the first few times.....WHOA!

Offline Ian J

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #105 on: March 14, 2007, 05:37:13 PM »
I live in the UK and would love to try out some of the brands mentioned in this thread, can anyone point me in the right direction of a site that ships to the UK.

Failing that are there any brands of Pepperoni that are comparable and available in the UK.

Many thanks

Ian

Offline pizzoid

• Lifetime Member
  • A Hideous, Addictive, substance dependency
« Reply #106 on: March 18, 2007, 12:22:02 PM »
I'm over here right now, and my suggestion would actually be to slice up green packaged Peperami and deal with the tiny slice size!

Those of you back home, it's like a much higher quality Slim Jim, but it's the closest thing in flavor to our regular pepperoni I've found over here on my visits. Way high in salt, though.

pizzoid