Author Topic: Deep Dish Quest..  (Read 2763 times)

Cory

Deep Dish Quest..
« on: June 17, 2004, 02:47:41 PM »
My favorite pizza in the world is NY style, (NYC Born) and I'm getting my Kitchen Aid & Quarry tiles this week, so I look forward to massive experimentation with that coming up soon, but my question is about a particular kind of deep dish that was sold locally here in Norfolk, VA about a decade ago.

There was this place called Cafe 21 that served a deep dish that looked remarkably like the Papa Del's picture on the site, with the exception that I just don't think the crust was so thick.  It was remarkably deep, and had an ABSURD amount of cheese in it-- small pieces were generally enough to satisfy--  and the crust was very much like a cheescake crust-- very small (I think, it was a decade ago now)

One of the things that really set it apart was the "imported" taste of the cheese--  I'm not sure if just adding Provolone will be enough...?

Any suggestions?  This sound familiar to anyone?  Should I just make the Papa Del's and reduce the amount of crust?

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
Re:Deep Dish Quest..
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2004, 04:30:21 PM »
The only thing I can suggest is try one of the Chicago recipe on this site and roll the dough out thin and see what happens.  Not much help Cory but without more on Cafe 21 we are shooting in the dark.

Randy

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2004, 04:46:03 PM »
Sounds like something I had in Nebraska once.

Almost forgot about it.

Take my deep dish recipe which can be found here on this board and make the following changes.

Cut the fat in half.
Leave out the cornmeal
increase the flour by about 4 oz

dough should be soft, but not the least bit sticky.

let it rise overnight in the fridge.  While still cold roll out thin and place in a pan.

let rise 30 minutes

start with provolone.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2004, 09:41:14 PM »
Good call DKM.
Da Vinci in Birmingham AL had one that was more of a pizza hut pan but was so thick you could hardly eat more than one slice.  The top was sprinkled with Caraway seeds after it came from the oven.

Randy

Cory

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2004, 10:01:02 AM »
Awesome, thanks for the advice!! ;D

Cory

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2004, 07:20:45 PM »