Author Topic: Reinhart Focaccia Dough, Flour Subsititution?  (Read 4931 times)

Offline damselfish

• I Love Pizza!
Reinhart Focaccia Dough, Flour Subsititution?
« on: December 18, 2006, 09:23:26 PM »
Making Reinhart's Focaccia in American Pie. No bread flour in any of my local stores, no time to order. I have KASL on hand. Will a 1:1 substitution work? Should I add some AP to the KASL?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Reinhart Focaccia Dough, Flour Subsititution?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 09:45:02 PM »
damselfish,

One of our members, November, created a neat little tool to do the kind of combination you are considering. It is the Mixed Mass Percentage Calculator tool shown on the right hand side at http://foodsim.unclesalmon.com/. Just use the pull down menus to select the two flours you wish to combine (all-purpose flour and KASL), and enter the mass (weight) of the target flour (bread flour) and its protein content in the specified blocks, and you will get the amounts (weights) of the two flours to combine. I checked the focaccia dough recipe at page 136 of Peter Reinhart's book, and the amount of flour called for is 26 ounces. I would use that number as the target mass in the tool, and I would use 12.7% for the protein content of the target bread flour. The combination of flours may not perform identically to bread flour, but it may get you close enough for your purposes.

Peter

« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 10:02:00 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 11:59:22 PM »
Thanks, Peter.

damselfish, consider the attached image your personalized tutorial.

Offline damselfish

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 08:35:22 AM »
Thank you so much. That's just great. Made a note in the book so I won't forget where to find it. I'll give it a go.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 08:42:21 AM by damselfish »

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2007, 10:10:14 PM »
FYI, i mixed up this dough tonight during half time of the Super Bowl with Harvest King flour, and it worked just fine. Tomorrow we bake.  ;D
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 08:18:39 PM »
Here's a pic before going in to the oven. I just sprinkled some Italian Seasoning on it before proofing for 2 hrs. Before it went in to the oven i used my dough knife/scraper and put seems in it, hoping to use it like sub rolls for Sammie's. I didn't have any parchment hoping it doesn't stick.  :-\ I made up another batch tonight with my New Zealland sourdough culture. That one came out a little on the wet side but it was  the trial run on using a sourdough starter.
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-2/947456/Pizza006.jpg
And the finished pic. As you can see the seams came out great. The focaccia smells wonderful.
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-2/947456/Pizza.jpg
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 08:58:00 PM by Bryan S »

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 12:31:00 AM »
Trust me when i say this. This Focaccia recipe has Pizza Hut Bread Sticks and Pizza Hut Pan Pizza dough written all over it. I took that sheet of Focaccia in the pics to work with me and everyone that ate it agreed with me, tastes just like it. Wife and kids said the same. And yes i plan on making pan pizzas this weekend with this Focaccia dough recipe, i'll post the results, and some pics too. ;D
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 12:55:32 AM by Bryan S »

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007, 12:57:36 AM »
I was trying to add more pics. Seems like it won't let me post normal pics. I down sized them to 433x300 something but it still says file is too large sometimes,while other times they upload no problem? How others are posting  close to 800x600 pics?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 06:44:50 PM by Bryan S »

pizzapan