Author Topic: First time trying to make my own Shakey's sauce. A sad day.  (Read 1674 times)

Offline Park.Pizza

• Salute
First time trying to make my own Shakey's sauce. A sad day.
« on: December 19, 2006, 10:09:47 PM »
I've been watching the Shakey's forum for a while waiting for the sauce recipe to show up, but it never does. So I attempted to try and make it myself. Well it didn't turn out.  :(

So I don't know if I'm posting this for some sympathy or to share what not to do.  Here's the recipe.

2 cans of Hunts 28oz tomato sauce
1/8 cup oregano
1/8 cup basil
1/8 cup sugar
6 garlic bulbs, regular size
half of a large onion chop fine and cooked down with a little classico olive oil
1/8 salt. THIS WHERE I SCREWED UP.  :-\

I cooked it on a low simmer for a half hour But it came out so salty that I added two cans of Don Pepinos to try and save it. But it's way salty. So now it's sitting in the fridge cooling down to see what it will taste like tomorrow. Maybe I could throw in some more tomato sauce. 

As for why I picked the ingredients and portions. I don't know, I just was giving it a wild guess. If you have any thoughts or comments, please share.

Tim :(
Throw me a slice, won't ya

Offline Finnegans Wake

• De gustibus non est disputandum.
Re: First time trying to make my own Shakey's sauce. A sad day.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 10:22:20 AM »
Can you clarify if that's 1/8 teaspoon of salt?  If so, the sauce shouldn't be salty at all.  Now, if you used 1/8 cup of salt, you have problems!  Definitely time to scrap it then!   :o
Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge. --
Mark Twain

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 01:14:36 AM »
Hey there Park.Pizza

I went through several store and generic brands and still experienced the same issue.

I finally realized that cooking the sauce will condense the salt already present in the tomato sauce. And also realized that the citric acid in nearly all tomato products was also contributing a bitterness that only enhances the saltiness.

I tried adding more uncooked tomato sauce and that didn't seem to help at all.

I haven't tried the Don peppino's so I don't know if they helped or contributed to the salt issue.

This is the best method I have come-up with for a cooked sauce that uses a canned tomato sauce as a base.

First, I omit the salt.
I cook up any onion and garlic until translucent, stir in the tomato sauce then the rest of the spices.
Heat the sauce just enough to heat through, remove from heat and let the sauce set to marry the flavors.

But even when using this method,  it can still be very salty.

A diluted tomato paste would be a closer approximation of the Straw Hat Sauce (texture and flavor), and recommend a food service contrated tomato or a super heavy pizza sauce as a better approximation.

FYI "Retail" tomato pastes don't have the salt issue but tend to be bitter.

The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline Park.Pizza

• Salute
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 10:44:18 PM »
yes it was an 1/8 cup salt. I had brain lock and added it. It's back to the drawing board or as you could say kettle pot.

Do you folks make up your sauce cold?  Not cooking it.

Tim
Throw me a slice, won't ya

Offline Finnegans Wake

• De gustibus non est disputandum.
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 03:13:12 PM »
yes it was an 1/8 cup salt. I had brain lock and added it. It's back to the drawing board or as you could say kettle pot.

Do you folks make up your sauce cold?  Not cooking it.

Tim

Since I'm pretty much a newbie, I've started with the crust (getting pretty good!) and am working my way through the sauces and cheeses now.  I've had decent success with canned/jarred sauce, but really enjoyed using a 28 oz. can of whole tomatoes, drained and squished.  So I haven't yet made my own sauce.

But I have to say that, just to look at it, 1/8 c. salt for 56 oz. of tomatoes seems awfully darned high.  I don't think I'd add more than a teaspoon of salt, if that, and I'd probably go light on it if cooking down due to concentrating the saltiness from evaporation.

Definitely consider salting lightly (if at all) early, and then adjusting it at the end.
Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge. --
Mark Twain

pizzapan