Author Topic: Harvest King Cracker crust  (Read 2611 times)

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
Harvest King Cracker crust
« on: December 14, 2006, 05:04:09 PM »
Made the dough today  for Friday.

Randy’s KitchenAid Thin Crust
Based on DKM’s thin crust recipe
Thursday, December 14, 2006

1 pound Harvest King Flour
2 teaspoon raw or Turbinado sugar or regular sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon Classico Olive oil
5.9 oz. warm(90F) water by weight  With a pinch of sugar
1 ˝  teaspoons instant yeast or active yeast

Place flour, sugar and salt in the mixing bowl then run the mixer on stir speed using the paddle attachment.  Weigh the warm 90F water and add a pinch of sugar and yeast then stir to dissolve. Set aside.

With the mixer still running add the oil. Let the mixer continue to run for 5 minutes while the yeast mixture blooms.  After 5 minutes and with the mixer still running slowly add the yeast mixture.  Let mixer run for 3 more minutes after adding yeast mixture.  Stop mixer.  This dough will look strange and very dry.  Remove from bowl and squeeze together to make a ball.  Cover the mixer bowl tightly with Saran wrap and leave on counter top overnight but 24 hours is better.  I make mine in the late afternoon for supper the next night.

Roll out dough(not easy) to about 20" in diameter which should get it 1/8”to 1/16” thick.  Place on 16" pizza pan then use the roller to cut off excess dough.  Use a fork or docker to prick holes randomly on the bottom of the pan but not the sides.  Before putting the toppings on, place the crust in a 475F oven on the bottom rack for 5 minutes.  Remove and add toppings.  Place back in the oven this time use the bottom shelf.  Bake for 8 minutes then check but it will probably take 10 minutes.  Remove when cheese just barely starts to brown.  If you want, turn the pizza around at the 5-minute mark for even browning.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
Re: Harvest King Cracker crust
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 06:50:37 PM »
I could not tell a lot of difference until I cut the finished pizza.  The crunch sound as the cutter gently rolled through the pizza was amazing.  This flour makes a  better pizza than KA and the KA pizza is wonderful.
This my pizza flour of choice for my American and thin crust pizzas.
Next a Chicago deep dish.

Offline joebot

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 08:47:17 PM »
I could not tell a lot of difference until I cut the finished pizza.  The crunch sound as the cutter gently rolled through the pizza was amazing.  This flour makes a  better pizza than KA and the KA pizza is wonderful.
Next a Chicago deep dish.

I like the HK flour too, I made a sicilian dough with it and semolina it made a real nice dough. I haven't tried the cracker crust yet, I really want to but the first time with that formula was a disaster! it's really tough to do after doing 60% and up hydration formulas!

Joe

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 12:56:49 AM »

Mine too!

It's nice that with a given hydration the dough is easier to roll out with this flour as well.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 07:24:33 AM »
I tried this flour over the weekend in my bread machine using a standard loaf bread recipe.  The flavor was good but the bread had a lot of large voids which I think came from the dough being to wet.  Even if I can't get it to work in the bread nachine it is still my new pizza flour.

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 12:43:04 PM »
Randy,

Any pics of the cracker crust version of your recipe?

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 12:58:19 PM »
Dan, sorry, no.  I was going to take pictures but it looked identical to the usual cracker crust that DKM's and Steve's recipe makes.  By the time I found out the crunch had gone up eating became paramount.
Next time for sure.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2006, 03:10:24 PM »
This an older photo but it is exactly the same.  Go to replay eight.
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1628.0.html