Author Topic: Stuffed... my christmas pie  (Read 6970 times)

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
Re: Stuffed... my christmas pie
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2007, 04:39:10 AM »
?? 20500 mg = 20.5 g last time I checked.

Check again.  20500 mg of sodium is equivalent to 52.11g of salt.  Here's the breakdown of my analysis based on generic (not brand specific) values:

5 tsp kosher salt (from dough and sauce) = 23.64g salt
2 # mozzarella = 17.08g salt
2 oz romano = 1.71g salt
14 oz pepperoni = 17.83g salt
total = 60.26g (I chose a slightly different precision than last time.)

As I said though, those are based on generic ingredients.  I'm sure you could have some ingredients, such as your cheese or pepperoni, that include less sodium.  Feel free to revise based on brand specific values.

- red.november

EDIT: I just realized that you have 4 oz of scrap dough left over.  That would eliminate at least a gram or two of salt.
EDIT2: I looked up the sodium content of Applegate Farms pepperoni and noticed it was marginally lower than what I used to calculate.  So the salt (based on 490mg/oz sodium) would be 17.44g rather than 17.83g.  In light of using 4 oz of dough less than the full 39 oz, and the brand specific pepperoni, I would estimate the sodium content is around 22789 mg, therefore the equivalent in salt would be 57.93g.  This is a little closer to your number, and if I use the lowest amount of sodium I could find for a mozzarella cheese (116mg/oz), the total is instead 50.29g salt.  So your sodium content calculation is well within reason for the quantity of ingredients you are using.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 01:13:48 PM by November »

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2007, 01:24:28 PM »
I prefer the Niman Ranch bacon to the Applegate Farms... give it a shot, it's good stuff.

If I can find it locally, I will try some.  I eat bacon so infrequently (a couple times a year), that I like to go with the absolutely best possible product I can find.  The Applegate Farms description for the "Organic Sunday Bacon" I get now is: 'At Applegate Farms, we know that no food is as tempting as good old-fashioned country bacon. That’s what led us to create our famous Sunday Bacon in the first place. We’ve taken the same classic recipe, which the New York Times hails as “Superb..,” and have brought Sunday Bacon to a whole new level of health and sustainability.' and I completely agree with the New York Times.

- red.november

Offline Awal

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2009, 09:33:33 PM »
Just to let you know that I recently made a stuffed spinach, olive and artichoke heart pizza using this recipe for the crust. I specifically chose this recipe because of all of the references to biscuit-making, and I do think that's a key here--especially keeping your fat, and then dough, cold to make it as flaky as possible.

It's been a number of years since I lived in Chicago, but I have a pretty good memory of what Giordano's-style crust is like, and I think this came pretty darn close.

Thanks to pkasten.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2009, 09:03:30 AM »
Paul,
That baby looks amazing :o  Do you wear a scuba mask to dig in?
Really , I dont know about the $40 pie but I would gladly give you 10 bucks for a big ol chunk of that
Great Job!!!
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2014, 11:41:02 AM »
Wow.  How did I not find this thread in the past.  Looks perfect.
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

pizzapan