Author Topic: I done hit the motherlode.  (Read 2054 times)

Offline AKSteve

• Lifetime Member
  • We are all made from the same dough.
I done hit the motherlode.
« on: December 27, 2006, 03:16:00 PM »
All from Merlino's in Seattle, shipped to a local warehouse in Anchorage, Alaska. Not pictured is the Caputo 00 Pizzeria flour I got a few weeks back. Now I just have to use this stuff before it goes bad. I'm probably going to have to freeze some of the Bufala, as it expires Jan 07. The Grande is good until Jan 20th. Oooweee.

Steve

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: I done hit the motherlode.
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 03:28:33 PM »
Steve,

Having spoken with Merlino before, I know they don't deal with individuals. Was it through your family business connections that they were willing to ship to Alaska, or did they make an exception to their usual practices in your case?

Peter

Offline AKSteve

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 03:51:02 PM »
Pete,

It was through my family's business. I don't usually mention them here, since we're in Alaska and can't really be very useful to most of the members. Although, we did bring in some flour for a new member, Iceman6. I hope he might be interested in some of the fresh mozzarella, as I don't quite know what to do with 16lbs of it. I believe the Bufala can be frozen since it already had a few ice crystals in the brine. Strangely, each ball of Bufala was in it's own sealed plastic bag floating in the brine. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to remove them from the bags and put them in the brine or leave them in the bags.

I honestly didn't find out about ordering all of this stuff from Merlinos until just recently when we placed an order for some Caputo's flour. They sent the wrong flour and to avoid another mix-up they sent us their product guide which lists everything they carry. I was flipping through it and couldn't believe all the stuff I wanted to try. I haven't cut into it yet, but I'm especially looking forward to trying the artisan salami.

It's funny, but even though we could order all of these products for local restaurants, no one up here would really want any of this stuff.

Steve

Offline AKSteve

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 04:20:01 PM »
On first nibble, I prefer the Grande Ovoline to the Bufala, which was a little bit sour. The Pomopizza sauce was rather watery and also a bit on the sour side. Maybe it's an italian thing? The Salumi Salami is delicious, although it has some pretty big chunks of fat in it. Like they say, fat = flavor.

Steve
« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 04:26:22 PM by AKSteve »