Author Topic: 1 question about the final product w/ pics...Is it right?  (Read 1421 times)

Offline ieslei

• perfect cheese, sauce but the dough $:(!!!
1 question about the final product w/ pics...Is it right?
« on: December 29, 2006, 07:07:36 PM »
Hi fellas!!! How you doing...it's been a long time since my last post...Now i've one doubt about Tom Lehmann's pizza...Is it okay to be hard cutting the pizza by simple knife? I can only cut it by teeth using my hands which is not a proper way here in my country where even to eat pizza we use knife and fork :( when i invite everybody to eat at my house they are forced to eat using hands...is that okay? Because as long as i remember i could cut the famiglia's(in NY) pizza using a simple knife....And one more question the pizza borders are a bit white is that right cause i didnt use any sugar at all?
Here are some infos about the preparation...my oven reaches 570F tops...I preheated it for 30 minutes and baked the pizza on a ceramic stone for 8 minutes....Does it have anything to do with mixing the dough by hand which is the the way i'm preparing it? Here are some pictures...the flash helped to make the crust look browner, actually its a bit whiter than it seems....
BY the way:
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE WHO IS A PIZZA LOVER!!!!

THANKS!!!!! ::) ;D
« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 07:13:45 PM by ieslei »
I dream every night of one day i could make my own a pizza like the one I ate in famiglia, located in NY! That would be great!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: 1 question about the final product w/ pics...Is it right?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 08:47:03 PM »
ieslei,

I would venture to say that the most common way to eat a typical NY street slice is by hand, not using a knife and fork. Skilled eaters will usually fold the slice down the middle to make it easier to hold and eat, as shown in this photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cb-photography/109793480/.

Famous Famiglia is a big slice seller and its pizzas are usually quite large—about 16”-18”, if my memory is accurate. An 8”-9” long slice from such a pizza will often be floppy, especially if there are a lot of toppings, so some people will use a knife and fork to navigate a slice. I think that if you make a Lehmann pizza in a 16”-18” size, you will find that it will be less rigid than the ones you have been making.  As an example, you might want to take a look at the photos for an 18” Lehmann pizza accompanying this post: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,576.msg17113.html#msg17113. You might also want to consider a Sbarro's crust, which may be closer to the Famiglia crust and possibly hold greater appeal for you. I recently posted a dough formulation for that style here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2061.msg36419.html#msg36419.

It is hard to say why your pizza crust was not darker. It is not because you hand kneaded the dough and it is not because the Lehmann dough formulation does not include sugar, although adding sugar usually will yield more crust color. I almost never use sugar in the Lehmann doughs I make and I am able to get good crust coloration without it. You will have to tell us a lot more about the specific Lehmann dough formulation you used, the procedural steps you followed to make the dough and pizza, and more about your oven conditions to be able to zero in on why your crust color was lighter than you wanted. You might try heating your ceramic stone for about an hour as a start, although there is no assurance that that will solve the problem. In the meantime, I would suggest that you read this thread for some further insights: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4170.msg34799.html#msg34799.

Peter

Offline grovemonkey

• Let's do it.
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 07:38:35 PM »
How about around 10 minutes?  I have to rotate my pie in the oven as one side cooks before the other too.  That pie looks edible to me.  :) I also have been making smaller pies recently on a pizza stone, delongi model pizza stone.  I have to wait to the oven to get to around 570 with the stone inside the oven, then I wait another 20-30 minutes.  I get very decent browning with that.  I didn't get good browning until I switched to the delongi stone and I think making sure the pizza stone is really hot is very important. 

Offline grovemonkey

• Let's do it.
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 07:40:25 PM »
looking at your photo again, it does look like the bottom is fairly brown, is the bottom browner than the sides and top?   :pizza:

Offline chiguy

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2006, 10:24:40 PM »
  ieslei,
  I would suggest preheating the oven for at least 45minutes. This will ensure that the stone is throughly heated to the 570F bake temp. I always notice a color difference if i do not allow enough time after the oven has reached my 550F bake temperture.
 I really like the look of the topping, can you tell us what you used.
                                                                                   Chiguy