Author Topic: Caputo in Michigan?  (Read 3739 times)

Offline inSaNE iRIsH

• I Love Pizza!
Caputo in Michigan?
« on: January 02, 2007, 11:20:10 AM »
After lurking here for a while I am going to try to up my game and try some Neapolitan Style pizza.  I have found  this Mozzarella di Bufala locally at Whole foods.  I also saw some San Marzano D.O.P. Tomatoes at a local Italian market, but didn't get the brand, saw a post that Whole Foods has them too, I'll have to look.

But I haven't been able to find Caputo anywhere.  Anyone know of a place to get Caputo flour in southern Michigan?  Prefferably in western Detroit Metro or Ann Arbor area, but pretty much anywhere from Greater Detroit Metro down to (including) Toledo, OH, and across the 94 corridor as far as Battle Creek probably. 

I'd rather not ship it in until I am ready to order a large amount as I will only be sparatically experimenting for now.

I have found a couple of other '00' labeled flours at the same local Italian market, one was very small packages of http://www.molinoalimonti.com/, approx 1kg, not sure which version, I'll have to look again.  The other was a 5kg package, but I can't remember the name, seems like it was something like Granero.  Has anyone used these?  How do the "substitute" for Caputo?

Edit: The other "00" I found was Granoro
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 05:52:18 PM by inSaNE iRIsH »

Offline inSaNE iRIsH

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Caputo in Michigan?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 03:38:24 PM »
I have found a couple of other '00' labeled flours at the same local Italian market, one was very small packages of http://www.molinoalimonti.com/, approx 1kg, not sure which version, I'll have to look again. 

Actually I was wrong, the small package was Molini Elli Amoruso Farina Di Grano Tenero Tipo "00"

Anyone ever heard of it?

Offline pizzoid

• Lifetime Member
  • A Hideous, Addictive, substance dependency
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 09:19:45 PM »
But I haven't been able to find Caputo anywhere.  Anyone know of a place to get Caputo flour in southern Michigan?  Prefferably in western Detroit Metro or Ann Arbor area, but pretty much anywhere from Greater Detroit Metro down to (including) Toledo, OH, and across the 94 corridor as far as Battle Creek probably. 

Have you tried Zingermans in Ann Arbor, or Rizzoli Foods in Detroit at  (586) 296-9780 ?

- Al

Offline inSaNE iRIsH

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 10:33:04 AM »
Have you tried Zingermans in Ann Arbor, or Rizzoli Foods in Detroit at  (586) 296-9780 ?

- Al

I tried Zingermans, I don't think they had any flour.  I will try Rizzoli.

thanks.

Offline inSaNE iRIsH

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 09:28:00 AM »
I called Rizzoli and they don't have Caputo either.  The had sever high gluten flours, but no caputo.

I guess alternatively, does anyone know of any pizzeria's that make authentic Neopolitan pizza, not only would it be a great place to go eat, but perhaps I can source some Caputo through them as well.

Offline polenta

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 10:51:18 AM »
Try going to Cantoro's market in Livonia on Middlebelt.I saw some 00 flour there the last time I shopped. It was not Caputo though.

Offline DaveK

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 10:11:45 PM »
You can get Caputo 00 shipped from pennmac.com. It comes from Pittsburgh, which really isn't that far from you.

Dave