Author Topic: my first attempt  (Read 1285 times)

Offline rdb

• I Love Pizza!
my first attempt
« on: January 02, 2007, 03:43:48 PM »
I did a bunch of reading on the web, including Jeff's page at http://jvpizza.sliceny.com/. My home oven goes to 550 degrees. I use a stone. I warm the oven for about one and a half hours. The pizzas take exactly 3 minutes 45 seconds.

I've just found this forum, after about 25 pizzas, so you can be sure, I'm going to do a bunch more  reading...

I use Cento crushed, and uncooked, ADY, KA- All purpose-unbleached, Sea Salt, snipped leaves of basil (not in Picture),and bottled spring water. Every other recipe I tried, just did not work for me at home.

I am at this point seriously considering opening a Pizza Parlor. It's that good. There are three steps I will have to completes first:
1 - Build a wood- fired oven in the backyard. (I'm waiting for three books to verify the plans)
2 - Adjust the recipe to the wood fire. (Maybe wetter)
3 - Get somebody other than me, the wife, or the neighbors to try it out for taste. It's got to be universallly accepted by non-family

I believe I need to do some science, and compute the actual ingredients, time to rise, refrigerate/not regrigerate, etc, but this Pizza is so dang good, and consistent..... I may be chasing up a wrong tree.

My wife is pure NY Sicilian, and she LOVES it. It may have prolonged my marriage...lol.

Offline ehlaban

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: my first attempt
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 04:20:59 PM »
Nice,

Can you give some more info on the % of all the ingredients and
how you mixed them, how long you kneaded, warm or cold fermentation etc?

It's 550 Fahrenheit i guess?

Ernesto

Offline rdb

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 04:44:27 PM »
I basically use Jeff's.  Mine is drier, because I can't get the heat he uses.
I use IDY, or Active instead of starters, or sourdoughs,  etc...but It sits in the refrigerator for up to 5-6 days...the taste is constantly improving all those days. Day 4 seems to be the best for the wife.
I use the KA mixer for kneading, because these arms are too old...lol.
The best improvement so far was the purchase of a digital scale.  It made everything consistent.
There is lots of time between steps (I have to finish my beers) So, I guess it's a lot of autolysing.....Resting the dough is CRITICAL.
Speed making the dough has not worked at all
I do use a touch of oil over the topping...I just like it...some don't.
I dont cook the sauce...I like fresh tomato taste.

Offline Peteg

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 06:25:29 PM »
Looks great RDB.  Keep us posted on how the brick oven comes along.  Welcome to the forum!  Peteg

Offline rdb

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 07:16:19 PM »
Thanks Peteg  for the encouragement, and Ernesto for the inquiry. Next Pizzas are Friday Night.  I'll post pics over the weekend.