Author Topic: how much?  (Read 2366 times)

Offline Pizzaholic

how much?
« on: June 23, 2004, 11:08:53 AM »
Might be a silly question, but here goes:
How much should the dough ball weigh for a 16" New York style?
I just need a range of weight to compare what everyone is using and why.
Thanks
Pizzaholic

Offline Pierre

• Someone say "PIZZA !!"?
Re:how much?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2004, 03:13:55 PM »
Pizzaholic, I weighed my proofed dough only on 2 occasions and they weighed about 425 grams (about 15 oz.) and I form a 12" New York style pizza out of it. My stone is about 12.4" wide and my oven about 14" wide, so I can't go larger than that.

My crust has a puffy edge with the crust getting thinner towards the center. If you want to keep the proportions like that what I get and want to go to 16" diameter then:

425 grams divided by 12 inches diameter = 35.416 grams per inch

35.146 gm multiplied by desired diameter (in your case 16") = ~ 566 gm

Pierre

(http://www.pizzamaking.com/yabbse/attachments/NewYorker_LessYeast_0034.JPG)

cory

Geekin out...
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2004, 04:01:45 PM »
Uh, you've gotta figure out the area of your pizza.  Each inch a pizza gets bigger, it gains much more area (the circumference expands at a much greater rate.

Better way is to figure out the ratio in area..  In other words

pi(r*2)  Or for your 12, pi(36) so about 113 sq. inches.

So, 425/113 = about 3.75 grams per sq inch...

a 16 inch pie would be pi(64) or 200 sq inches x 3.75 grams, or 750 grams.

It's not exactly a straight ratio-- more of the area is taken up in the flat section (middle) than the circumference, so you won't quite need 3.75 grams per sq inch, probably a bit less.  I'd shoot for 675-700 grams for the 16 inch pie with your recipie.

Cory

Offline Pizzaholic

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2004, 09:49:11 AM »
Thanks for the info
I guess you can get as elaborate as you want when you try to figure out this question.
Pierre, Thanks for the information, converted to oz I got about 19.9765 oz. Since I will not split atoms, 20 is a good number.
Cory, Thank you too. I do agree that the pi formula works with your disclaimer about not being a flat entity!

I will use this information next time and see what happens, and make any needed changes.
Thanks again
Pizzaholic

cory

uh....
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2004, 10:55:38 AM »
It's not a linear equation.. You can't just multiply by the number of inches because the desired result is a circle.  Each consecutive inch takes more dough than the previous inch because it's got considerably more area to cover.

You can't simplpy multiply it by the number of inches to get the correct result.

That said, Pierre's edge looks pretty thick, so if you don't mind a thinner edge, 20 oz should be ok.

Cory

Offline Pizzaholic

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2004, 11:03:27 AM »
Gotta love experimentation!