Author Topic: Umberto's of New Hyde Park, Long Island NY  (Read 7749 times)

Offline mptpizza

• I Love Pizza!
Umberto's of New Hyde Park, Long Island NY
« on: January 03, 2007, 06:14:39 PM »
Far and away the best Sicilian pizza ever is Umberto's on Jericho Tpke in New Hyde Park, LI, NY. I would love to know how they make their dough. It's extremely light and crispy, full of flavor. The tomatoes are exceptional as well. Does anyone have any ideas on how this product is made, such as brand or type of flour, yeast, shortening or lard, etc?

Offline jimd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Umberto's of New Hyde Park, Long Island NY
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 08:51:15 AM »
I do not know the answers to the questions posed, but boy did the name Umberto's bring back memories. I grew up on Long Island and went to college about 10 minutes from Umberto's. On the way to work from school I would pick up a couple of slices of the Sicilian and eat it in the car --it was one of the simplest but best pleasures I remember. To this day, eating a slice of pizza in the car brings me right back to those days of eating Umberto's pizza.

I think that Umberto's also is generally credited with inventing "Grandma's Pizza", which, so far, I have only found in the New York area. Grandma's Pizza is much like Sicilian, but with a slice of Fresh Mozzarella covered by a zesty tomatoe sauce. Umberto's also makes their own mozzarella every day. More can be read about them on the Pizza Marketing Quarterly web site. I think this is the link:  www. pmq.com

Jim

Offline Jack

• Pizza; it's what's for dinner, breakfast........
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 09:56:21 AM »
I grew up on LI, in West Hempstead, about 20 minutes from Umberto's.  While we never went there for pizza, it was a special occasion resturant.  My favorite dish was a stuffed veal chop.  Expensive, but just awesome.

The Grandma's pizza style makes perfect sense, as the major downside of Sicilian pizza is that the entire slab of cheese which sits on the tomato sauce often slid off the pizza on the first bite, making a huge mess.  I've been making a Grandma's pizza now for several months and I love how the cheese is anchored to the dough. 

Jack

Offline jimd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 10:24:43 AM »
Jack, you are exactly right. The cheese often came right off in a semi-gooey mess, especially if the pizza was not heated thoroughly. That is how I became adept at steering the car with my knees.

Jim

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 02:33:12 PM »
More can be read about them on the Pizza Marketing Quarterly web site. I think this is the link:  www. pmq.com

See http://www.pmq.com/mag/2004march_april/secretrecipe.shtml.

Peter

Offline SemperFi

• Getting there, slowly but surely
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 07:17:12 AM »
So is it a double layer of cheese then, or is it just the cheese and tomato reversed?  If it is reversed, does the sauce dry out with the extended bake time?  I grew up in N. Patchogue, and I remember getting a sicilian pie every now and then from the corner pizzeria. Adam
Adam

Offline Jack

• Pizza; it's what's for dinner, breakfast........
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 01:31:25 PM »
No double layer,
Yes it's reversed, and
No, the sauce does not dry out.  It may thicken up a little, but that's just fine with me.

jib

Offline SemperFi

• Getting there, slowly but surely
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 01:44:56 PM »
Very cool,

thanks for the info Jack.

Adam
Adam

Offline maxse

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007, 05:17:14 AM »
Hello Everyone. I am a newbie here and also to making pizza. I live out on LI and I lovee the grandma's pizza and would love to make my own. I read Varasano's dough recipe but I do not think that it is appropriate for grandma's pizza. Could some please post a simple recipe for dough and sauce for the grandma's pie so that I can make one. Please be very detailed int he brands and ingredients since I am a newbie and just got my first stand mixer. Thanks!