Author Topic: First try at Pete-zza's Lehmann's recipe  (Read 1622 times)

Offline pierce652

• I Love Pizza!
First try at Pete-zza's Lehmann's recipe
« on: January 03, 2007, 12:50:07 PM »
Being brand new here I was eager to give it a go this weekend and make a pie.  I wasnt expecting spactacular results but had to get my feet wet.  The tips on mixing the dough were great and that step worked like a charm.  I divided the dough into two balls and put  it in the fridge overnight.  I divided it to simply allow me to make two pizza's and have a bit more fun.  All in all the pizza wasnt bad, but wasnt great either.  While the dough did expand a bit when I placed the pie on the stone it didnt expand as much as I would have liked.  I did preheat the oven at 550 for over an hour. 

I have several ideas as to why the dough didnt rise as much as I would have liked.  First is technique.  I think I may have pressed out most of the air bubbles flatening it out, I also had a 3 year old "helping" so this could have contributed as well.  Second was my yeast.  I used bread machine yeast that will actually expire in two weeks.  While I know it is not dead I also know it is not as active as it could be.  I put two teaspoons in some warm water last night and covered to see how active it was and there wasnt alot going on. 

Finally, I read some posts here that people cook the pies for a total of 4 minutes at 550.  In 4 minutes these pizza's werent close to being done.  the crust was still pale.  I know the oven is reaching 550 as I have a digital probe thermometer I have tested it with. 

Anyone have any tips or ideas?  Im thinking just alot more delicious practice should help. 

Tomorrow work will take me through New Haven (in Connecticut) during lunch so I think Sally's will be on the menu.
BBQ, Pizza, Flyfishing

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: First try at Pete-zza's Lehmann's recipe
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 01:55:57 PM »
pierce652,

Bread machine yeast is essentially the same as instant dry yeast (IDY), although it may include a bit of ascorbic acid. Usually dry yeast will last a fairly long time if the package is unopened, and much longer if it is refrigerated in an airtight container, and for a very long time if it is kept frozen in an airtight container.

I don't believe I have ever specified a 4 minute bake time for a Lehmann-based pizza in a typical home oven. Usually, it is 6-9 minutes, depending on the particular dough formulation, pizza size, and method of baking (e.g., stone, screen, etc.). At 4 minutes, there will not be a lot of crust color.

I think you will see improvement with a few more tries. If you don't see such improvement, please come back and give us the details, including the particular dough formulation and dough management you used. And you should have the 3-year old give you a hand :chef:.

Peter

Offline pierce652

• I Love Pizza!
Re: First try at Pete-zza's Lehmann's recipe
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 02:59:27 PM »
Thanks Peter. 

No it wasnt you who specified the cook time.  I was actually refering to other posts where people give the cook times of styles of pies.  I guess some here have blast furnaces in their kitchens.  ;D  To fully cook with good color on the crust and cheese it did in fact take about 7 to 9 minutes so I guess I am in the ball park. 

I actually used the first recipe you posted in the Lehmann thread you started.

""High-gluten flour, 11.80 oz. (about 2 1/2 c.)
       Water, 7.70 oz. (about 1 c.) (about 65% hydration)
       IDY, 0.20 oz. (1 1/2 t.) [Edit: See Note below]
       Salt, 0.20 oz. (3/4 t.)
       Olive oil (light), 0.12 oz. (3/4 t.)
       Thickness factor (TF) = 0.10""

Im sure the problem lies with my technique, or lack thereof, in forming the dough.
BBQ, Pizza, Flyfishing

pizzapan