Author Topic: Questions before ordering Grande/Bufala mozzarella.  (Read 2058 times)

Offline AKSteve

• Lifetime Member
  • We are all made from the same dough.
Questions before ordering Grande/Bufala mozzarella.
« on: December 16, 2006, 01:25:41 AM »
I can only order by the case, so does anyone know how long the shelf life would be for Grande's loaves of cheese?

I can order smaller quantities of their fresh mozzarella. Is the Grande Ovoline (4 oz balls) better than the loaves? I don't really have any experience with Grande cheese. It seems most people use the loaf mozzarella. I just don't know what to do with 56lbs of it. I've never heard of freezing in loaf form, so I don't think I want to try that.

Any thoughts on the Grande Ricotta?

Also, has anyone heard of either of these Bufala Mozzarella's?

Fresh: Castelli Mozzarella di Bufala
Frozen: Ciliento Mozzarella di Bufala

Thanks,

Steve

Offline DNA Dan

Re: Questions before ordering Grande/Bufala mozzarella.
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 01:18:06 AM »
AKSteve where are you located?

You might be able to find some other folks on here who are interested in a group purchase. I can't speak for the other products you mentioned.

Offline AKSteve

• Lifetime Member
  • We are all made from the same dough.
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 05:44:53 PM »
AKSteve where are you located?

You might be able to find some other folks on here who are interested in a group purchase. I can't speak for the other products you mentioned.

Sorry, but since I'm in Alaska, that really isn't possible. I should probably mention that in future posts just so people know. I wish I wasn't so far away and that I could help out with ordering this stuff. I decided to try a few lb's of each of the Grande Ovoline and the fresh Bufala.

Steve

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 12:51:08 AM »
steve, the loaf grande is very different than the fresh grande.  the fresh grande would give you a neapolitanesque, or an elite NY style taste.  The grande loaf would be a good version of standard pizza cheese.  If it were me I would buy the fresh because I like the style and taste, but I think  you could get away with keeping the loaf in your fridge for a much longer amount of time without needing to freeze.  I am not a huge fan of pre frozen cheese, but my guess is that the loaf would probably hold up better than the fresh once thawed..

Having said all that my absolute favorite cheese is Buffalo Mozzarella from the area around Naples Italy.  I am not sure if the brands you mentioned are from that area or not, but the pre frozen buffala might not be such a bad choice if you have to buy in bulk.  I would think they have a "process" for freezing that makes it hold up better than freezing cheese yourself would.