Author Topic: Ciro Salvo under 40 secs Pizza at Pizzafest 05  (Read 2860 times)

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
Ciro Salvo under 40 secs Pizza at Pizzafest 05
« on: February 01, 2007, 03:33:59 PM »
Finally a friend from pizza.it has managed to publish a video of a Pizza made in less then 40 seconds at Pizzafest 05. Please note that the oven is not even the best and Ciro did have many problem with it so could only cook 2 pizza at the time and still, here is a prof of an under 40 secs pizza (the video started just a second after the raw pizza was slided in...)

http://video.google.it/videoplay?docid=3527298901888342949&q=pizzafest

Offline shango

Re: Ciro Salvo under 40 secs Pizza at Pizzafest 05
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 09:28:47 PM »
looks just ok to me.  The pizza cooked very fast and everything looks well blended....Just the Cornichone looks a little low, no?
pizza, pizza, pizza

Offline scpizza

• Demystifying Neapolitan Pizza
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 10:30:18 PM »
Looks consistent with what I saw in Naples.  Their corniciones are not as large as we tend to think they are.

Offline pizzanapoletana

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 03:37:55 AM »
Shango,

That is as good as Pizza Napoletana can be. Obviously from the low quality video, you probably cannot see the true impression, and that is the reason I always emphasise to do a trip to the mother land before even talking about pizza napoletana.

Ciao
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 03:39:32 AM by pizzanapoletana »

Offline grovemonkey

• Let's do it.
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 09:25:59 AM »
That pizza looks almost identical to a pizza I get here in Tokyo.  Neopolitan style pizza is very popular in Tokyo right now.   But that pizza looks about the same I get here at Cuomo Salvatore and they do normal pizza and also a D.O.C pizza but it costs a little more to have them make it.  Those pizzas are cooked in under 50 seconds on a good day and a little over 60 sec on bad days.  I went in there about 2 days ago and got a margarita that was fantastic, man, their pizza is good.

If any of you come to Tokyo, please try it out. 

Offline pizzanapoletana

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 10:09:12 AM »
Govemonkey,

Trust me it may be similar but Ciro's pizza is on another planet compared with Cuomo's and this surely cannot be assessed behind a monitor.

One of the pizzamaker of Cuomo was at this year Pizzafest in Naples. I know how he makes is pizza, the ingredients etc... That is a standard Pizza Napoletana (still great but average in Naples). Ciro Salvo, Da Michele, Costa, Sorbillo Gino and few other are on  a different league.

Ciao

Offline grovemonkey

• Let's do it.
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 06:55:05 PM »
Pizzanapoletena,

I agree, looking at a tv monitor (or in my case my computer monitor) isn't going to give you any sort of assessment of pizza beyond superficial observance.  It's like looking at a car on TV and saying that car drives great.  Can't do it.  Of course, you can say the car looks like my car, and it may, even though they drive completely different. 

What I hoped from the post is to bring light to the fact that Japan has been slowly becoming more and more serious about pizza making in the style of naples and if you happen to come here, try out some.  I probably should have posted this in a completely different thread so as not to confuse and make it seem like I was comparing the greats to the mundane.

I appreciate your reply and the fact you are even aware of the name of the chain.  I thought I was the only one.  Personally, for a chain of stores that even does a lunch all-you-can eat buffet of naples style pizza, they do a decent pizza although the quality wildly varies from store to store I've found.  I think the fact that they are doing a buffet is kind of funny.  I don't know any other napoletena style resturaunts that does a buffet.  (it's an expensive buffet, mind you!)

Grove.

Offline shango

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2007, 06:56:33 PM »
I wish to try it!! ;D
pizza, pizza, pizza

Offline raji

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2007, 01:59:48 AM »
Pizzanapoletena,

I agree, looking at a tv monitor (or in my case my computer monitor) isn't going to give you any sort of assessment of pizza beyond superficial observance.  It's like looking at a car on TV and saying that car drives great.  Can't do it.  Of course, you can say the car looks like my car, and it may, even though they drive completely different. 

What I hoped from the post is to bring light to the fact that Japan has been slowly becoming more and more serious about pizza making in the style of naples and if you happen to come here, try out some.  I probably should have posted this in a completely different thread so as not to confuse and make it seem like I was comparing the greats to the mundane.

I appreciate your reply and the fact you are even aware of the name of the chain.  I thought I was the only one.  Personally, for a chain of stores that even does a lunch all-you-can eat buffet of naples style pizza, they do a decent pizza although the quality wildly varies from store to store I've found.  I think the fact that they are doing a buffet is kind of funny.  I don't know any other napoletena style resturaunts that does a buffet.  (it's an expensive buffet, mind you!)

Grove.

I was in Tokyo a couple of months ago and ate at Pizza Salvatore.  It was quite impressive.  I didn't expect to be able to find pizza like that in Tokyo.  I live in SF Bay Area and thought it was better than A16. 

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2007, 05:07:12 AM »
I I live in SF Bay Area and thought it was better than A16. 

that's not surprising to me

Offline scpizza

• Demystifying Neapolitan Pizza
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2007, 07:34:39 AM »
that's not surprising to me

Ha!  Agreed.

Offline grovemonkey

• Let's do it.
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2007, 10:05:14 AM »
well.. I'm glad you ate there.. it's one of the first Naples style pizza places i went to so i am a bit spoiled and every place I've tried since Salvatore doesn't really impress me.  Something about the crust that gets me every time. 

I've tried loads of other pizza shops doing naples style but many fall short.  I did go to a shop that did a unique spinach crust which was interesting.   
Actually, I went to a indian resturaunt tonight that had a fantastic Naan.  Holy crap was it good and this Naan must have been baked really hot cause it was really charred but very soft.. absolutely fantastic.  they must have had an oven going well above 800F to get a crust that spectacular. 

Funny how my pizza interests are now carrying over to other areas..

Grove.

Offline raji

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2007, 06:16:43 PM »
Here's a pic of the pie I had in japan at Pizza Salvatore.  A bit too much oil though. 

Offline grovemonkey

• Let's do it.
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2007, 09:28:12 PM »
Yeah.  That's has been a problem with them but the real problem is young guys running the oven that are inexperienced at making, preparing and understanding the pizza, I feel.  The best place to go for their pizza is the Shinjuku branch and outside that, it's touch and go.  They use 2 types of oil I think and I've gotten pizzas that were a bit too oily and I did get one that was a tad to salty.  When they make the pizza I see them add an obvious olive oil and there is another clear liquid which I'm not sure on, I thought it might be an additional oil. 

I've found hosts of other Naples style restaurants after searching through some online Japaneses communities devoted to pizza making. I'm going to visit them and compile a list of one's that I like and post some links so that if anyone comes here, they can try them out.  All will be in the Tokyo area. 

grove :pizza: