Author Topic: overnight rise  (Read 1286 times)

Offline gigisalem

• I Love Pizza!
overnight rise
« on: January 05, 2007, 08:23:41 PM »
I'm another newbie to this board and have a question about overnight rising.  I've read about bulk vs. ball rising.  Do I put the dough into sealed tupperware-type containers or wrap in plastic wrap or both or leave it in the bowl?  Is 24 hrs. long enough to gain the benefits of the longer rise or do I need more time than that?   Once it's risen, do I let it come to room temp before working with it?  Do I need to punch it down at all?  I feel fairly confident in my pizza making abilities (although this board has more information than I can wrap my brain around!) but I've never done the overnight rise and it sounds like it can really improve my crust so I'd like to try it but want to be sure I'm doing it correctly.  Any advice would be much-appreciated.  Thank you.
Gigi

Offline chiguy

Re: overnight rise
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 08:59:08 PM »
 gigisalem,
 Whether you do a bulk or ball the dough should at least always be covered. You canleave it in a bowl and cover bowl with plastic wrap. I wipe the bowl with a little oil as well, i also lightly wipe the dough ball with a little oil too ensure a skin will not develop on the dough.
 When working with a retarded/refridgerated dough the finished dough temperature is an important factor, along with yeast amounts in order to achieve the slow rate of fermentation. The finished dough temperature will ultimately determinewhen the dough will be ready. A 24hour rise is probaly long enough to notice a considerable difference in the finished crust.
 When letting the dough warm up room temperature it prevents bubbles onthe top of pizza, and makes handstretching much easier.      Chiguy

Offline gigisalem

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 12:16:10 AM »
Thank you for the info.  I assume I need to lessen the amt. of yeast if I plan to do an overnight or 24 hr. rise?   Do you have a recipe or a link that would give me the correct measurements if doing a longer rise?  Thank you again for your help and your quick reply.
Gigi

Offline chiguy

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 12:34:39 AM »
 Hi gigisalem,
 The Tom Lehmann thread in the N.Y. section is a very good place to start. The thread of a Lehmann retarded dough formula has been taken to another level by Pete-zza. There is enough reading to keep you busy for days. If you don't know the name, Tom Lehmann is an instructor at American Institute of Baking and many of his formulas and techniques are quoted and copied here at pizzamaking.com. There are no doubt members here who make better pizza than a standard N.Y. recipe, but you have to start somewhere.
 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,576.0.html
                                                                                Chiguy

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 07:47:27 AM »
gigisalem,

Since you posted on the Newbie Topics section of the forum, an easier entry point into a Lehmann NY style dough is this thread: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2223.msg19503.html#msg19503. Most of the details for a simple Lehmann pizza start at Reply 8.

Peter

Offline gigisalem

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007, 08:35:35 AM »
Thank you for the info. and the link.  I'm not even sure what makes a NY crust.  I'm more familiar w/Chicago-style pizza  but the pictures I'm seeing of what must be the Lehmann method/recipe are VERY intriguing.  I've also never used a pizza screen but will be ordering one as soon as I post this reply.  I've made a bit of pizza in my time but I've been inspired by this site to up the ante a bit.  Thank you for all the information and for the very prompt replies.  I appreciate it!
Gigi

pizzapan