Author Topic: Buffalo Chicken Pizza  (Read 3948 times)

Offline pierce652

• I Love Pizza!
Buffalo Chicken Pizza
« on: January 05, 2007, 09:02:09 PM »
This is a pizza that I havent tried to make but order it often from the local pizza place.  They start with the basic sauce but use a little less than usual.  Then chunks of cooked chicken breast (they use breaded) and liberal hunks of blue cheese.  Next is Frank's Hot Sauce applied via squirt bottle liberally over the top of the entire pie.  Finally they add the cheese and bake.  While I cant eat this pizza all the time it is very good maybe once every three orders.  Perhaps someone will give it a try and post some pics...or maybe I will...

They also make a great spaghetti pizza too...
BBQ, Pizza, Flyfishing

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
Re: Buffalo Chicken Pizza
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 02:17:00 PM »
Plain hot sauce applied to the chicken before baking can be tricky.  If using un-breaded chicken as I do, it needs to be moist or the sauce might scorch.  I think the flavor is much better if the chicken is allowed to marinate in the hot sauce for a while, then the excess wiped off before baking, and fresh hot sauce (diluted with a small amount of butter) applied in the last minute of baking or immediately after.

pierce652, I've never had a breaded buffalo chicken pizza before.  I wonder if there are many restaurants that use breaded chicken for this.  It seems like an odd practice, and born out of either frugality, eclecticism, or eccentricity.  With a menu item like spaghetti pizza, I'm guessing a little of the later two.  Do they serve breaded buffalo chicken as a separate item?  How do they make their spaghetti pizza?

- red.november

Offline pierce652

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 08:56:31 PM »
For the pizza they use the breaded chicken cutlets they have for chicken parm and subs.  They are boneless breast pounded thin, breaded and fried.  Then they chop them to bite size pieces and top the pizza.  The hot sauce doesnt burn at all.  I guess its because its under the cheese.  Acutally really good.

The spaghetti pizza is linguini and sauce put on top of the dough with cheese put over that then baked.
BBQ, Pizza, Flyfishing

Offline Garlic head

• I need Garlic to survive
    • WKevin.com
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 02:39:54 PM »
I watched 30-minute meals last week and saw Rachael make a buffalo chicken pizza. Last night I decided to try it out. I strayed from it a little by cooking the chicken in a skillet because it was pouring outside. I also used some of my regular pizza sauce instead of "tomato sauce" that she calls for. I didn't use any blue cheese, but I did use the Monterey Jack. Of course, I used my own dough. (if anybody saw her working with her store bought "bag o dough" you would have gotten a kick out of that!) :-D
Anyway, I seasoned the chicken with McCormick Montreal Seasoning for chicken, cooked it, and then sliced it thin. I warmed 2 tablespoons of butter, 2 tablespoons of Louisiana Hot Sauce, 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce and a half a cup of my pizza sauce in a skillet, then added the chicken. I let that cool a bit, then added all that to the pie, topped it with Monterey Jack and sliced scallions. I pre-heated the oven at 550° for an hour and put the pan on my tiles. It cooked in about 9 minutes. I must say, it was excellent!!

For those interested, her recipe follows.
Kevin

3/4 pound chicken breast cutlets
Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
2 teaspoons grill seasoning, (recommended: McCormick Montreal Seasoning) eyeball it
1 pizza dough, store bought or from your favorite pizzeria
Cornmeal or flour, to handle dough
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, eyeball it
2 to 3 tablespoons hot sauce, medium to spicy heat
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese, a few generous handfuls
1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles
3 scallions, thinly sliced

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Preheat grill pan to high.

Place chicken on a plate and drizzle extra-virgin olive oil over the chicken then season with grill seasoning. When grill is hot, add chicken and cook about 3 minutes on each side.

Stretch dough to form pizza using cornmeal or flour to help you handle it. If you let it rest and warm up a few minutes it will handle even easier. Set pizza on pizza pan to the side and clean board.

In a medium skillet over medium heat, melt butter and stir in Worcestershire, hot sauce, and tomato sauce.

Remove the chicken from grill and thinly slice it. Add chicken to sauce and coat. Cover the pizza dough with the saucy Buffalo chicken, cheeses, and scallions. Bake 18 minutes or until crisp.

Offline DWChun

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 05:00:17 PM »
Hmm, buffalo chicken pizza sounds like a great idea! I made a BBQ chicken pizza the other day for my little brother(who happens to have a crush on Rachael Ray, don't ask me why) and it turned out great. With a bit of tweaking, I'll make a buffalo chicken pizza next!

I plan to use sriracha(my favourite spicy sauce) and no butter. I'm going for buffalo-esque so any buffalo wing purists out there please don't get mad at me. I'm also going to brine chicken breasts and then pan fry them just until the flesh loses the pinkness. Does anyone have any cheese suggestion? I know I'll be using blue cheese but I'd like to use a combination of cheeses to ensure both good flavour and texture.

Offline SLICEofSLOMON

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 07:35:34 PM »
Hi All,

Just thought I'd contribute some Buffalo Chicken pizza variations to the cause. These recipes are from an article for Pizza Today that I wrote a few years ago...  Don't feel you have to be exact with the ingredient proportions. I always include exact proportions for commercial recipes so that they can be properly food costed and will yield consistent results. For the home cook though, more or less should be according to taste.

They are pretty tasty :chef:

Enjoy,

Evelyne

BUFFALO CHICKEN PIZZA SUPREME  YIELD: ONE 12 INCH PIZZA
One pizza skin, ready to use
4 fl ounces (one quarter cup) creamy ranch dressing
1 tablespoon crumbled blue cheese
2 ounces Mozzarella, shredded or diced
1 cup cubed chicken with hot sauce
thinly sliced fresh celery

Method:
Build a pie by spreading the creamy ranch dressing over the pie shell, crumble the blue cheese evenly over the dressing. Sprinkle evenly with the Mozzarella, and top with the chicken mixture.

Bake until golden and bubbly.

Garnish with thinly sliced fresh celery

BUFFALO COMBO PIZZA  YIELD: ONE 12 INCH PIZZA
One pizza skin, ready to use
4 fl ounces (one quarter cup) hot sauce
˝ cup (one half cup) diced chicken in hot sauce
2 ounces cubed or shredded blend of mozzarella and provolone or cheddar blend
1 ounce crumbled, cooked bacon
1 ounce each, thinly sliced green pepper rings and white onion rings
Creamy blue cheese dressing

Method:
Build a pie by spreading the hot sauce out evenly over the pie shell. Top with the chicken, the cheeses and bacon. Arrange the pepper and onion rings over all.

Bake until golden and bubbly

Garnish with generous drizzles of creamy blue cheese dressing**

(**tip: use a plastic squeeze bottle with the tip cut to about one half inch in diameter, to garnish the pizza with nice lines of dressing.)

Note: I use cooked chicken--roasted, grilled or poached. I really like to cook the chicken from the raw state with the hot sauce so it really absorbs the flavor. I also use Frank's Hot sauce a lot...In a pinch plain ground tomatoes doctored up with some Tabasco sauce is not bad either...

DIPP’IN BUFFALO WING PIZZA  YIELD: ONE 12 INCH PIE
One pizza shell, ready to use
4 fluid ounces hot sauce
2 ounces Mozzarella and Provolone blend, diced or shredded
1 ounce fresh mushrooms, very thinly sliced
One cup crispy crust chicken cut into bite-sized pieces, with Buffalo sauce
Garnish: 4-6 ounces creamy blue cheese dressing in a ramekin
                 8 thin fresh carrot strips
       8 thin fresh celery strips

Method:
Build the pizza by spreading the hot sauce evenly over the shell. Sprinkle over the Mozzarella-Provolone and mushrooms. Top with crispy crust chicken.
Bake the pie until golden and bubbly.

Cut the pie into 4 wedges and pull the wedges apart leaving a 1 or 2 inch space in the center of the pie. Place the ramekin of blue cheese dressing in the center and fill in the spaces between slices with carrot and celery sticks in a wheel spoke arrangement (2 of each in each space).

This novel presentation invites diners to dip a slice into the sauce or a carrot or celery stick. The effect is hot and cool, crisp veggies and warm soft pizza topping. Definitely an interactive type of pie, it is at once innovative and fun.

Offline DWChun

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 07:55:56 PM »
Thanks for the recipes, Evelyne! I definitely want to try them out. I'll be watching UFC 69 this Saturday night with the guys so I'll have to hold off until then to unveil some buffalo chicken pizzas. It'll be a great night. I can't wait! :D

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 12:00:16 AM »
Here's other buffalo chicken recipes from the PMQ Recipe Bank: http://www.pmq.com/Recipe-Bank/index.php?cp=3&si=40. I also found this thread on buffalo chicken pizzas at the PMQ Think Tank: http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?t=362&highlight=buffalo+chicken.

Peter
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 08:57:09 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline marty

• Supporting Member
  • searching for knowledge
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2007, 09:23:37 PM »
My resturant we make both buffalo and BBQ grilled chicken pizza.

Our buffalo pizza we start with ranch or Blue cheese salad dressing for the sauce.

Add cheese then grilled chicken breast and a little bit if bacon cook the pizza then in the end we cut and use a squirt bottle to add the wing sauce afterwards. Try it this way you will love it. :chef:

Marty

I will send pic if you like