Author Topic: Cheese on the bottom and the photos that haunt me.  (Read 1285 times)

Offline grovemonkey

• Let's do it.
Cheese on the bottom and the photos that haunt me.
« on: January 05, 2007, 09:40:20 PM »
I had a big pizza party for my wife and her friends 2 days ago and the last pizza I made I tried the cheese on the bottom and sauce/toppings on top.  I originally saw the idea on the forums and I have a problem getting my shredded cheese to not cook before the crust browns.  So I thought I would try putting the cheese on the bottom.  I like it, I like it alot! If you are just getting started, you have to give it a try.  Next pizza I make, I'll do some photos. 

In addition, I saw some photos a bit back that one of the senior members put on and I am constantly haunted by them.  Light, open airy crust that is basically perfect. posted by pizzanap here http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1258.280.html the photo is Ciro.jpg 

I can only imagine they were created using high heat?  Is this true?  To me.. these photos are perfect, I can't imagine a pizza looking more visual appealing.  Can I get any background on this pizza and if it's created consistently, just wondering..  Is this a naples style dough recipe type pizza, I'm assuming it is since Pizzanapoletana posted it? 

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Cheese on the bottom and the photos that haunt me.
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 02:32:30 AM »
this pizza can only be obtained with a 1 minute or less bake.  that means a HHHOOOOOOTTTTT Neapolitan oven.   

Of course the recipe, mixing and fermenting procedures need to be perfect as well.

This pizza is what you will find at only the best pizzerias in Naples Italy, and nowhere in the US..........Yet.

Offline grovemonkey

• Let's do it.
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 03:48:16 AM »
Thanks scott.  I was hoping that the pizza in those photos represented something special since I've never seen pizza like that in the US or Japan.   

I wonder if there are any non-commercial individuals producing that kind of pizza?   Hobbyist or what not. 

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 05:54:36 AM »
There must be someone.  And I must confess I have not tried all the Neapolitan pizzerias in the US. 

The problem is that even commercial pizzerias with the proper oven do not want to deal with fiering the oven hot enough to do this, or work with a dough at such high hydration.

Offline grovemonkey

• Let's do it.
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 07:33:55 AM »
That appears to be the same problem here in Japan.  nice wood fired italian ovens running too cool, relatively.  The last place I visited did a 3 minute pizza, to their defense they don't claim to be D.O.C or anything like that.. they just say that there pizza is made in the style of neapolitan pizza. 

time to buy one of these big wood fire ovens and try to find a place to put it.   >:D