Author Topic: Randy - A request for you  (Read 9472 times)

Offline husker3in4

• Crazy for Pizza
Randy - A request for you
« on: January 06, 2007, 04:42:51 AM »
Hi Randy, I want to ask you a favor if/when you have time. What I am wanting is your original recipe for american style pizza crust in terms a regular joe like man can understand, lol. Instead of %, or grams, can you post or email your recipe for one 12" pizza in cups, tbs, tsp etc? I only get my kids every other weekend, so what I'd like to do is make 1 pizza a week for when they come over. They loved the recipe from peetza's tom lehmann NY dough (modified into cups and such, thanks for that!), I want to try yours, but I cant understand the % factors.

What I do have is a KA mixer, a screen, a stone, KASL flour, and an oven that goes up to 550.

I would really appreciate it, if you could do this. I'm guessing but I think there are probably others on this forum that would benefit from this too. Just whenever you have time.

Thanks very much!

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
Re: Randy - A request for you
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 08:06:02 AM »
Sure, between Peter and I we should be able to get you going.
How do you measure your flour?  I know you don't have a scale so tell me how you measure a cup of flour.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 11:39:29 AM »
husker3in4,

I am more than happy to work with Randy on your request. If possible, can you tell me the depth of your 1-cup measuring cup?

Peter

Offline husker3in4

• Crazy for Pizza
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 11:56:34 AM »
Hi again guys, thanks so much for your help :)

I just use a standard 1/2 cup measuring cup, I scoop it, then level it off with a butter knife. For 2 1/2 cups that the recipe I have now calls for, I do this 5 times.

Did you actually want me to measure inside the measuring cup?

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 02:03:12 PM »
Did you actually want me to measure inside the measuring cup?

husker3in4,

Yes. If you don't have a one-cup measuring cup, please give me the depth of the 1/2-cup size. Better yet, give me both if you can.

Peter

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007, 05:45:57 PM »
Peter I am thinking for simplicity and using the equipment he has , 6 scoops of flour using his 1/2 cup then fill the same 1/2 cup with water twice plus two tablespoons.  This should yield two twelve inch pizzas. 

Offline husker3in4

• Crazy for Pizza
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 12:09:50 AM »
Yes, simple is better for sure! So 3 cups of flour, 1 cup plus 2 tbs of water using my 1/2 cup measure should do the trick.. You guys are so smart with this stuff, half the time I can't understand it. How much yeast, honey etc for the rest of the recipe? Ferment times, cooking time and temp would be great. I usually cold ferment for 1-2 days, good enough?

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2007, 08:26:06 AM »
This should work but it is roughly scaled with a few guesses.  If they are too thick Peter can scale it down perfectly.  What I tried to do was make it as simple as practical for you.

Peter, this is rough but it should work for him don't you think.

6 half cup scoped and leveled High Gluten Flour

2 half cup of room temperature water plus one to two tablespoons

1 Tablespoon plus 1 teaspoons  raw or turbindo sugar

1 TBS Honey

1 Tablespoon  Classico Olive Oil

1 1/2  Teaspoon Salt

1  1/2 teaspoons SAF Perfect Rise or Gourmet yeast or bread machine yeast

Mix flour and salt.  Put yeast and half the flour in the mixer.  Mix the sugar and honey into the hot water.  Pour mixture into bowl and place mixer using dough hook on stir for about 2 minutes.  Stop mixer. Add Olive oil and the rest of the flour, then set mixer to knead.  Knead for 6  minutes stop mixer for 5 minutes then start mixer back on knead speed for 6 more minutes.  If the dough is sticking to the bottom of the bowl add a tablespoon of flour or more until the dough patch beneath the ball is say the size of a silver dollar or disappears.  You may need to add water.  Finish knead on a lightly floured surface and shape into a ball  Place in the refrigerator in a lightly sealed container coated with olive oil. for overnight up to three days.

Remove 3  hours before panning
Remove from the fridge and either divide dough in half for two 12” pizzas cover until panning

If using screens Preheat oven to 500 deg F  Mix together an equal mixture of flour and cornmeal.  Liberally coat the dough ball with the mixture. Shape dough and place on pizza screen and add what you want. Cook for 6-8 minutes on next to lowest rack in oven

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2007, 08:38:13 AM »
husker3in4,

What Randy provided was for two 12” pizzas, whereas you requested the recipe for one 12” pizza. There was also a reason why I asked you for the depth of your measuring cups, and that is because measuring cups are not all the same and I wanted to give you a precise volume conversion using the tool that November created and is given at http://foodsim.unclesalmon.com/. Since you have used the tool before, I will let you do the conversion if you’d like. As with any recipe, you may still have to make minor adjustments in the bowl.

For the record, this is the list of ingredients and baker’s percents for Randy’s original American style dough recipe as I originally determined those values:

100%, High-gluten flour, 16 oz. (1 lb.)
60%, Water (120 degrees F), 9.6 oz. (about 1 1/4 c.)
5.3%, Raw sugar, 0.85 oz. (2 T.)
4.5%, Honey (clover or orange), 0.74 oz. (1 T.)
2.8%, Classico olive oil, 0.45 oz. (1 T.)
3.3%, Salt, 0.53 oz. (2 t.)
1.6%, SAF Perfect Rise or Gourmet yeast, 0.25 oz.

Assuming that the above is correct and that you will be using KASL, this is what I come up with for the ingredients and quantities for a single 12” pizza:

KASL Flour: 8.03 oz., or 1 3/4 c. plus 1 T. plus 1 2/3 t.
Water (120 degrees F): a bit less than 5/8 c.
Salt: 1 1/3 t.
IDY: a bit less than 1 1/4 t.             
Oil: 1 1/3 t.               
Sugar 1 T.
Honey: 1 1/2 t.

For those who have scales and want more complete information for the 12” size:

KASL Flour (100%):                227.6 g  |  8.03 oz | 0.5 lbs
Water (60%):                        136.56 g  |  4.82 oz | 0.3 lbs
Salt (3.3%):                          7.51 g | 0.26 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.35 tsp | 0.45 tbsp
IDY (1.6%):                           3.64 g | 0.13 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.21 tsp | 0.4 tbsp
Oil (2.8%):                            6.37 g | 0.22 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.37 tsp | 0.46 tbsp
Sugar (5.3%):                       12.06 g | 0.43 oz | 0.03 lbs | 3.03 tsp | 1.01 tbsp
Honey (4.5%):                      10.24 g | 0.36 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.46 tsp | 0.49 tbsp
Total (177.5%):                    403.99 g | 14.25 oz | 0.89 lbs | TF = 0.126

You might also note that Randy recently posted the latest version of his American style pizza, at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4284.msg35778.html#msg35778.

Good luck.

Peter
EDIT: Converted weight of KASL flour to volumes using November's tool with default values.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 09:17:14 AM by Pete-zza »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2007, 08:39:48 AM »
Randy,

I didn't see your post until after I posted my reply. Please feel free to comment on what I posted.

Peter

Offline husker3in4

• Crazy for Pizza
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2007, 12:52:06 PM »
Hi guys, thanks for your replies! A couple of questions:

Randy calls for raw or turbino sugar, all I have is regular household sugar, will that work?

Also, randy calls for room temp water, pete calls for 120 degree water, which one is best?

Lastly, will IDY yeast work? Or do I need to buy the specific yeast randy calls for?

I can just half randy's recipe to get one 12" pizza. Its fine cause sometimes I will make 2 in the same batch.

I have a batch of Pete'e NY style ready to go today, as soon as they are cooked up I will try randy's, thanks.,

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2007, 01:05:32 PM »
husker3in4,

I gave you the ingredients for the "original" dough formulation, which is the one you referenced in your first post. The original formulation specified the 120 degree water. I have used regular table sugar and regular IDY in lieu of the turbinado sugar and the SAF Gourmet/Perfect Rise yeast and they worked out fine. The turbinado sugar has more and better nutrients for the yeast to use but if you don't have it, then use what you have.

Peter

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2007, 09:44:44 PM »
That works Peter.  I said room tempersture assuming he might not have anyway to read the temperature.  I did give him a recipe for two 12".
Yours as always is more precise than mine.

Offline husker3in4

• Crazy for Pizza
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2007, 10:43:19 PM »
Hi again guys, I made up a batch of Randy's Original as posted in this thread. I made the dough on friday, and cooked it up today so it had about 48 hours in the fridge. I baked it on a screen at 475 degrees on the middle rack for 7 mins. It came out beautifully! It was just what I was looking for, soft chewy crust, a bit floppy and medium thick. I have been trying for several months to make a close replica of Papa Johns crust, which is my favorite chain pizza, and this was a very good clone, even better I would say. Thank you!

Now if I can only get some pizza sauce that didnt tase like tomato soup. Any recommendations for a sauce that tastes like fresh tomatos, without overpowering garlic/spices? Im going for a light yet tasty sauce. Any ideas?

Here are some pics of the Randy's Original I made today:

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2007, 07:14:27 AM »
I sure am glad it worked for you.  On the sauce, a good sauce for this type of pizza is easy if you get some penzeys pizza spice.  They have a few stores around the country but you can order it online also.  Penzeys has a lot of good spices and their blends are fantastic.  Of late I use mostly Walmart great Value crushed tomatoes and they are a ver close second to 6-in-1

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeyspizzaseas.html

1 28 oz. Can 6-in-1 tomatoes ground and peeled
2-tablespoon olive oil
2-teaspoon Penzey's Pizza Seasoning
1-teaspoon sugar
1 Garlic glove squeezed
¼   teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon basil
Pinch of thyme
Pinch of cayenne

Combine spices and oil in a small saucepan and heat for a couple of minutes until the aroma rises from the panadd the garlic stir  then add tomatoes and heat for 15 minutes on medium-low heat.

Optional in place of 6 in 1 use one  Walmart Great Value crushed tomatoes28-ounce can. These are surprisingly good.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2007, 09:02:14 AM »
husker3in4,

That is a very nice looking pizza. You did a good job.

Can you tell us which specific recipe you used, just in case someone is interested in trying it? There are a few versions/forms of the recipe posted in this thread.

How did your kids like the pizza?

Peter

Offline husker3in4

• Crazy for Pizza
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2007, 11:35:04 AM »
Hi guys, for the recipie I used, it was this one:

This should work but it is roughly scaled with a few guesses.  If they are too thick Peter can scale it down perfectly.  What I tried to do was make it as simple as practical for you.

Peter, this is rough but it should work for him don't you think.

6 half cup scoped and leveled High Gluten Flour

2 half cup of room temperature water plus one to two tablespoons

1 Tablespoon plus 1 teaspoons  raw or turbindo sugar

1 TBS Honey

1 Tablespoon  Classico Olive Oil

1 1/2  Teaspoon Salt

1  1/2 teaspoons SAF Perfect Rise or Gourmet yeast or bread machine yeast

Mix flour and salt.  Put yeast and half the flour in the mixer.  Mix the sugar and honey into the hot water.  Pour mixture into bowl and place mixer using dough hook on stir for about 2 minutes.  Stop mixer. Add Olive oil and the rest of the flour, then set mixer to knead.  Knead for 6  minutes stop mixer for 5 minutes then start mixer back on knead speed for 6 more minutes.  If the dough is sticking to the bottom of the bowl add a tablespoon of flour or more until the dough patch beneath the ball is say the size of a silver dollar or disappears.  You may need to add water.  Finish knead on a lightly floured surface and shape into a ball  Place in the refrigerator in a lightly sealed container coated with olive oil. for overnight up to three days.

Remove 3  hours before panning
Remove from the fridge and either divide dough in half for two 12” pizzas cover until panning

If using screens Preheat oven to 500 deg F  Mix together an equal mixture of flour and cornmeal.  Liberally coat the dough ball with the mixture. Shape dough and place on pizza screen and add what you want. Cook for 6-8 minutes on next to lowest rack in oven

I used it cause it was a bit easier for me to understand, and it came out awesome! I used reg table sugar, but did get the Perfect Rise Gourmet yeast. Worked great!

Randy, on the sauce.. Am I to refrigerate the sauce after cooking for 15 mins? And is it ok to use power garlic at all?

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2007, 01:00:33 PM »
I do put my sauce in the cooler to store it till the next pizza session. 

I much prefer using a clove, that is one section from a head of garlic.  if you use garlic powder then just a pinch.

Peter, the recipe I gave him using the scooped half cups was my 16 oz. recipe scaled to work with the equipment  he had on hand.  From the pictures, that is a great looking pizza.

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2007, 04:46:52 PM »
Pete,

i'm just curious, but wouldn't you need the diameter of this 1/2 cup measuring cup as well?  Because if you're trying to calculate the volume using only the depth, you're going to have to assume that the diameter of every measuring cup is identical...  or perhaps they are?  (i don't know)

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2007, 06:02:44 PM »
Pete,

i'm just curious, but wouldn't you need the diameter of this 1/2 cup measuring cup as well?  Because if you're trying to calculate the volume using only the depth, you're going to have to assume that the diameter of every measuring cup is identical...  or perhaps they are?  (i don't know)

I'm sure Peter won't mind my answering on his behalf.  The diameter of every measuring cup is assumed based on its depth and volume.  I know that the volume of certain brands of cups aren't perfectly accurate, but that's less important than knowing the depth.  Depth is the only dimension that matters when it comes to knowing how much the flour compacts under its own weight.  If you decide to measure your cup's diameter and are able to determine that its volume is 0.4% less than what it's supposed to be, then just divide the result you get from the conversion calculator by 1.04.  Conversely, if you discover that the volume of your cup is greater than what it's supposed to be, multiply the conversion calculator's result by the overage.  There are a lot of wacky measuring cups out there, and asking people to measure the diameter of some of those oblong, half-rectangle-half-circle shapes in addition to the depth can sometimes be asking a lot.  The very best way to find out a cup's volume is through the mass measurement of water, but of course we wouldn't be talking about this if everybody had a digital scale.

Sometimes assumptions are needed to keep things simple.  Just using the default settings on the calculator, for instance, is the simplest.  For better accuracy, the depth is required.  For best accuracy, a digital scale is advised.

- red.november