Author Topic: wood vs. metal peel  (Read 3599 times)

Offline scpizza

• Demystifying Neapolitan Pizza
wood vs. metal peel
« on: January 06, 2007, 08:46:47 AM »
I've noticed in the videos of Italian pizzerias always the same setup - metal peel, marble counter.

I've been using a wooden peel.  I stretch the dough on a large plastic cutting board, transfer the skin to the wooden peel, dress it on that, then transfer to the oven.

Problem is it is taking too much flour to keep the dough from adhering to the wooden peel.  So I'm contemplating getting a metal peel.  I could even use it directly on my marble counter, but hesitate for fear of scratching it.

What types of peels do others use?  On what sort of surface do you make your pizza?

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: wood vs. metal peel
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 09:12:09 AM »
scpizza,

Since you posted in the Neapolitan Style section of the forum, I assume that you are only interested in peels, wood or metal, used for the Neapolitan style. Otherwise, you will get the usual range of responses for all types of pizzas. On that assumption, you might find the posts starting at Reply 2 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2305.msg20215.html#msg20215 to be of interest.

Peter

Offline pierce652

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 09:15:11 AM »
Although Im new here I have been using a wooden peel.  However, before I joined here I was having trouble with the skin sticking to the wood, until I read the post about sanding down the peel and rubbing the wood with flour.  Now the dressed pie slips right off the wood.  Its a beautiful thing.
BBQ, Pizza, Flyfishing

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 08:23:20 PM »
Neapolitan use an hard wood peel to put the raw pizza in th oven, and a small round iron  peel, to move the pizza around the oven

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 02:36:39 AM »
I stretch the dough out on the countertop (granite) and then transfer to a pretty well broken in wooden peel which I use to load and unload.  I haven't had problems with it sticking for a while (just once recently with some very wet dough that I left on the peel for too long). 

- aba
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline scpizza

• Demystifying Neapolitan Pizza
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 11:55:58 PM »
Neapolitan use an hard wood peel to put the raw pizza in th oven, and a small round iron  peel, to move the pizza around the oven

Is there a reason for the use of hard wood, instead of metal, to put the raw pizza into the oven?

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 04:22:17 AM »
Is there a reason for the use of hard wood, instead of metal, to put the raw pizza into the oven?

Yes there is. It offers benefits for certain type of dough and have in impact on the ecess flour issue

Offline jonfoxx

• Alfred's Tomato Pie Rules!
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2007, 03:33:49 PM »
Well, after several problems with sticking on my wooden pizza peel and many
great uncooked pizza's tossed into the trash can as a result, I finally lost it last
week and broke my wooden peel over my leg!  So, I've purchased a metal peel
and hope for happier times.....

Jon

Offline chiguy

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2007, 03:56:59 PM »
 jonfoxx,
 I think you will be disappointed using the metal peel for releasing into the oven.
 No matter what style of pizza.       Chiguy

Offline Art

• la pizza la mia vita!!
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2007, 04:15:20 PM »
My daughter-in-law had her share of problems with a regular wooden peel too, so I got her one of these SuperPeels for Christmas  It works great...easy release and you can drop the pie exactly where you want it.  I'd post a link but I got this message when I tried. "Sorry, Guests and New Members are not allowed to post messages containing hyperlinks." What's up with that? When will I lose the status of "new member"?  Any way, if you Google "super peel", it should be the first listing on the page.  :chef:  Art
When baking, follow directions.  When cooking, go by your own taste.

Offline jonfoxx

• Alfred's Tomato Pie Rules!
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2007, 09:18:17 AM »
Art,

I checked out that Super Peel.  Very cool.  I downloaded the movie of it being used on a pizza that was stuck to the wooden cutting board, and sure enough, that thing scooped it right up.

Jon

Offline Art

• la pizza la mia vita!!
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2007, 10:29:46 AM »
Art,

I checked out that Super Peel.  Very cool.  I downloaded the movie of it being used on a pizza that was stuck to the wooden cutting board, and sure enough, that thing scooped it right up.

Jon

It does work very well. I don't have any problem with my regular peel releasing and placing, but I think I'm going to order one of these for myself anyway. I do get tired of the mess (sometimes) with cornmeal/flour getting all over the oven and stone and this eliminates the need for either.  :chef: -Art
When baking, follow directions.  When cooking, go by your own taste.

Offline shango

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2007, 12:59:03 PM »
I top the pizza on a wooden peel, use that to fire the pizza into the oven and then cook the pizza using a smaller metal peel.   ::)
pizza, pizza, pizza