Author Topic: Mozzerella balls  (Read 7513 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re:Mozzerella balls
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2004, 07:12:49 PM »
Giotto,

A couple of other choices if you want to go fancy are Fontina and Asiago (soft) cheeses.  They go well with mozzarella and provolone cheeses too.  

Peter

Offline Foccaciaman

• ou812
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2004, 08:40:41 PM »
Yes I agree fontina is very good, also try the smoked provalone. I have been using it quite a bit.  ;D
Its funny when people look at you when they are eating it and just cannot place the taste of the cheese you put on it, but they love it.
Ahhh, Pizza The Fifth Food Group

Offline Arthur

• When Brooklyn Was the World
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2004, 05:40:40 PM »
Arthur:

Indicate that the Whole Foods in N. California at 408-257-7000 carries Grande whole milk and skim milk, and that they've indicated that it is an accepted item in the Whole Foods computer system (it must be for them to sell it) , and request a "special order."  They should not hesitate to do a "special order" under this circumstance.  

No dice on this.  My local virginia whole foods said that their regional distributor can't do it because they won't "sell enough"  >:(

Offline giotto

• Italy has DOC, we have NY standards.
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2004, 02:57:14 AM »
Arthur: Ah, the ol' we won't sell enough-- amazing, considering that the cheese dept here said that this mozz moves incredibly well, and Whole Foods in general prides themselves on carrying cheeses from top vendors.  If Grande is on your store's list (a booklet that the grocer and other departments hold at each Whole Foods) as an accepted vendor though, than they have to be willing to do a special order for you.  The list varies by store though.

Regarding other cheeses recommended above, I've tried many of the cheeses mentioned, including fontina, asiago, provolone and smoked provolone.  Certain toppings like aged pecorino and dried goat's cheese is something I use daily.  I used to mix with fontina or asiago, until I found EDAM.  Pyzano's pizzeria uses a mixture of provolone with Grande mozz and the pizza I tried was very good; but I have not had the same success when I try it myself.  Most of the time, I use Grande by itself and always add a dry pecorino at the end.  EDAM has worked as a tasty dry cheese to mix in small amounts with it.

I have not tried Pierre's suggestion though;  Gouda sounds like a good alternative.  Pierre: have certain manufacturers been better than others with the Gouda?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2004, 02:59:43 AM by giotto »

Offline Pierre

• Someone say "PIZZA !!"?
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2004, 04:46:52 PM »
Hi giotto...

I've also tried lot's of brands of Edam and Gouda available here in Germany. Many are imported from Holland, some are local brands.

Edam appeared too dry for me. It also didn't have the stringyness and melt I wanted. Edam also did not stay soft enough once out of the oven. It seemed to get stiffer and was then too chewy.

I now use a mixture of Mozzerella and Gouda.

The Mozzerella is a lower moisture, full fat cheese, white in color and firm and is produced in Italy. It's sold here in 1 kg blocks packaged without brine.

The Gouda is a german brand "MilRam" 42% Full Fat cheese. Has the melt and stringyness I want. Blends well with the mozzerella and picks up some of the flavours in the sauce. The other brand I could recommend for it's flavour is "Schaap". I've tried at least 10 others from the hundreds available in Europe, but these 2 seemed the best in taste and texture. Make sure you pick a young Gouda. The more ripe ones get drier and taste too intensive.

Now I don't know which brands are available in the USA, but I would suggest you just buy 2 or 3 different brands readily available where you live. Make a few pizzas, each with a different Gouda blend and decide for yourself which one is more suited to your taste. I use about 130 grams Gouda and 50 grams Mozzerella on a 12 " Pizza,  New York Style.

Sometimes I grate abit of Provolone and Parmigianno Reggiano in the mixture as well.

Gouda is the cheese most often used in Germany for Pizzas. If you need more info let me know. I'd be glad to help.

Pierre

Offline giotto

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2004, 06:00:28 PM »
Pierre:

Thanks for the information.  With Grande mozzarella, I use quite a different formula.  Because EDAM is dry, I use it very sparingly and apply it on the bottom in thin shavings, with none of the symptoms that you mention.  It's only purpose is to slightly impact taste.  I grate some aged pecorino at the end for the same purpose.

I was worried about too strong of a taste with Gouda; but will certainly try a younger one.  I'll check for the Goudas you mention, since many of the cheeses at Whole Foods and other stores in San Francisco are International anyways.

I spent quite a bit of time in Germany for work.  I used to visit places like Frankfurt, E. Germany, Waldorf and out toward Munich-- all by car.  I was a passenger and fortunate to travel with our local sales people; although 1500 miles per week didn't always feel that way.  I was amazed at the vineyards and the beauty of all the land.  I spoiled myself rotten with some of the Reisling Spatlese; and I still remember all the walks through a small town called Auerbach, just outside Frankfurt, near one of our sales offices.  While others would suggest authentic Italian food, my goal was to deplete all the hand made servings related to sausage (including Sauer Braten) in sight, and I always requested mama and papa restaurants in smaller villages.  The weekends were a real treat.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2004, 06:32:27 PM by giotto »

Offline giotto

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2004, 01:48:15 AM »
When I was picking up some Mozzarella at Whole Foods, I came across a young organic Gouda that was made from Bastiaansen for them.  It's a cow's milk version that was slightly lighter than another one that I tried from Holland.  Here's an article on it http://www.wholefoods.com/winecheese/che_gouda-organic.html .  I'll mix a few slices in with Grande Mozzarella when preparing pizza for a friend's Birthday bash tomorrow.  Another day, another adventure.

Well, after the party, I found that the gouda tasted good.  But I prefer the less thick texture that results from the drier EDAM, which I use sparingly in a shave-like texture with Grande mozzarella.  When I come across a drier version of the Gouda, I'll give it a try in a similar fashion.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2004, 05:05:45 PM by giotto »

pizzapan