Author Topic: Question - Best San Marzano's  (Read 881 times)

Offline Jayhak

• I Love Pizza!
Question - Best San Marzano's
« on: January 27, 2015, 11:24:54 PM »
What are the best canned Marzano Tomatoes in the world?  I don't care from where or what price.  What are the absolute best? I have been using La Valle thus far and its delicious but I'm just wondering what is considered the "Caputo" of tomatoes?

Offline Richieredeyes

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Question - Best San Marzano's
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 02:42:07 PM »
Look for the ones with the D.O.P seal on them. Those ones are the best of the best quality wise.

Offline misterschu

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 04:54:49 PM »
My favorite tomatoes are the ones labelled Jersey Fresh Crushed Tomatoes.  I think the brand is Fattoria Fresca. They are not DOP San Marzano.

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 05:17:20 PM »
There is no "best" San Marzano (SM) tomato in the sense you are asking. Unlike Caputo, distribution of most brands is extremely limited. I don't know how anyone would know even if there was a "best."

Don't think that spending extra money to get a can of DOP SMs means you are going to get the best (or even good) tomatoes. DOP is not a quality guarantee. DOP SM's are generally not your best choice regardless of price. You can almost always find something better than the DOP SM's at a fraction of the price. Here is a taste test from a few years ago. Only 1 DOP SM made the top-20.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0AjvOSy3CtYfydDRSWEstRlV1SldDMF85SGZKSG45YUE&hl=en&output=html
http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/11/the-best-tasting-canned-san-marzano-grocery-store-italian-tomatoes.html

"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline misterschu

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 08:13:23 PM »
Craig, for that test did you only look at peeled whole tomatoes?

I find that whole and diced tomatoes more commonly have calcium chloride where it's used to help the tomato retain some firmness but seem adds some saltiness/metallic flavor.

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 10:21:16 PM »
That wasn't my test. It was from slice.seriouseats.com. The article the table came from is the link below the link for the table.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

pizzapan