Author Topic: Question - Best San Marzano's  (Read 694 times)

Offline Jayhak

• I Love Pizza!
Question - Best San Marzano's
« on: January 27, 2015, 11:24:54 PM »
What are the best canned Marzano Tomatoes in the world?  I don't care from where or what price.  What are the absolute best? I have been using La Valle thus far and its delicious but I'm just wondering what is considered the "Caputo" of tomatoes?

Offline Richieredeyes

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Question - Best San Marzano's
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 02:42:07 PM »
Look for the ones with the D.O.P seal on them. Those ones are the best of the best quality wise.

Offline misterschu

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 04:54:49 PM »
My favorite tomatoes are the ones labelled Jersey Fresh Crushed Tomatoes.  I think the brand is Fattoria Fresca. They are not DOP San Marzano.

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 05:17:20 PM »
There is no "best" San Marzano (SM) tomato in the sense you are asking. Unlike Caputo, distribution of most brands is extremely limited. I don't know how anyone would know even if there was a "best."

Don't think that spending extra money to get a can of DOP SMs means you are going to get the best (or even good) tomatoes. DOP is not a quality guarantee. DOP SM's are generally not your best choice regardless of price. You can almost always find something better than the DOP SM's at a fraction of the price. Here is a taste test from a few years ago. Only 1 DOP SM made the top-20.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0AjvOSy3CtYfydDRSWEstRlV1SldDMF85SGZKSG45YUE&hl=en&output=html
http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/11/the-best-tasting-canned-san-marzano-grocery-store-italian-tomatoes.html

Pizza is not bread. Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline misterschu

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 08:13:23 PM »
Craig, for that test did you only look at peeled whole tomatoes?

I find that whole and diced tomatoes more commonly have calcium chloride where it's used to help the tomato retain some firmness but seem adds some saltiness/metallic flavor.

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 10:21:16 PM »
That wasn't my test. It was from slice.seriouseats.com. The article the table came from is the link below the link for the table.
Pizza is not bread. Craig's Neapolitan Garage