Author Topic: My Sauce recipe :)  (Read 546 times)

Offline mredman

• I Love Pizza!
My Sauce recipe :)
« on: February 17, 2016, 07:55:29 PM »
So, I have my own version of a sauce recipe that everyone seems to rave about. It's a bit of a hybrid of a few others around the place and has a great sweet flavour without being too sweet.

1 large brown onion
2-3 cloves fresh garlic (more if you like it, less if you don't of course!)
1 x 700ml jar passata
1 x 400gm can crushed tomatoes
1/4 jar tomato paste (approx 100gm)
2 tablespoons dried oregano
2 tablespoons dried basil
handful fresh basil
1-2 teaspoons fennel seeds
tablespoon brown sugar
salt and pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil
dash red wine (optional, although ~1/4 cup really does add body to the sauce)

In a heavy base pot,heat oil on a medium heat. Add the onions and saute for a minute or two until they soften slightly. Add the garlic and saute for a more minutes.
Add crushed tomatoes and passata. Stir until combined and simmering.
Add tomato paste, both dried and fresh basil and oregano, brown sugar, fennel seeds and red wine.
Season well! Make sure LOTS of pepper goes in - the more the better. Just taste it every now and then. If you cant taste the pepper, there's not enough :)
If it gets too thick (bubbles "popping" and making a mess) then add a little water. Simmer for about 15-20 minutes until to your desired thickness.
If you acciedntally add to much salt (s%&t happens...) add 1/4 teaspoon of sugar until the flavors balance out.

Once it comes off the heat, get a stick blender and blitz the sauce for about 2-3 minutes until thoroughly combined and mixed.
Cool, and then use as required. This is also an amazing pasta sauce. Inevitably we end up with more sauce than we use, and we use this as a base for a spaghetti sauce - kids destroy it every time :)
We've used it up to 2 weeks after making it and it was still awesome.

Offline mredman

• I Love Pizza!
Re: My Sauce recipe :)
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 08:02:18 PM »
Here's a shot of it simmering away beautifully in the pan :)

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 08:47:28 PM »
That looks like a good sauce recipe.  It looks good from the pic you've posted.  The recipe reads a little like a marinara sauce recipe which I've been doing lately to mix things up a bit.  Thanks for sharing.

Offline mredman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 08:49:58 PM »
I don't really know much about the different sauces - where I'm from (well, with the people I spend time with) there doesn't really seem to be a differentiation between sauces as such - I notice you guys talk about a napolitana sauce, or a marinara sauce etc. In my circle, it's "just sauce" haha. Happy to learn a thing or 300 from you guys though.