Author Topic: Pizza Hug original style sauce  (Read 12942 times)

Offline johnamus

• Pizza fan
Re: Pizza Hug original style sauce
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2011, 08:38:56 AM »
Peter those are some great ideas and methods for replicating the sauce.   I may really do that someday BUT for now, this sauce comes extremely close.   I made a Pizza Butt pan pizza using the dough recipe on this forum and the sauce (posted above) tonight and I was Truely Amazed!  It was so very close.  The only thing that was off was that my crust was a bit thicker than theirs but that's an easy fix.  The softness of the dough was right on, the oil crunch of the bottom was right on, the sauce was right on.  If I had served it to friends in a PH box, they wouldn't know any better.  It was so very tasty and a nice change from NY style.

Jackie Tran,

That pizza hut clone looks great!  What pan did you use?

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2011, 09:09:58 AM »
Thanks Johnamus,  I use a pampered chef ceramic deep dish.  It is made from the same material as their regular pizza stone, which is cordierite I believe.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 10:24:28 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline elshout

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2011, 08:40:32 PM »
Jackie, what peperoni did you use? It looks like they got crispy on the edges. That is what I am looking for. Thanks.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2011, 08:58:08 PM »
Gosh, it's been awhile so I don't even remember exactly.  It was probably hormel or a generic.  I was also using a lot of boar's head at that time.

Offline Ian J

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2015, 12:51:50 PM »
Well hell, since this forum doesn't seem to have a Pizza BUTT sauce recipe, I will submit one.  There are 2 basic ones floating around the net and they sorta come close.  I doctored one of the recipes my version is pretty close.

1 (6oz) can of tomato paste.  The orig. recipe calls for 8 oz.  Paste comes in 6 so I' sticking with 6oz.  It makes     
            enoough to make 1 10" pie with leftover sauce for breadsticks.
1/2 cup of bottled or filtered water
1/2 - 1 tsp oregano (depending on how much you like)
1/2 tsp dry basil
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt (only use if the paste doesn't have it already.  Consider using 1/8 tsp or omitting if using Hunt's Paste)
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp MSG (not in the orig recipe but it makes a difference IMO)
1/2 tsp majoram
1/4 tsp lemon juice (omit if using Hunt's Paste as it contains citric acid already.  Personally
     tomato paste is already acidic so I don't add extra lemon juice).

Warm thoroughly and let it sit for a couple of hours or overnight.

Not been on the site for quite a while but fancied a PH style pizza so have been looking through a few threads.

Here in the UK PH pizza went downhill many years ago when they stopped using so much oil in the tins, presumably to try and make their pizzas appear healthier.

One thing would really like to try and replicate is the sauce flavour.

The one thing I do remember about the sauce was a faint taste of aniseed and a burst of aniseed flavour when biting into a fennel seed.

Is this a UK only ingredient or do PH use this in other countries?

I ask as I can see no mention of fennel seeds in the above recipe.

pizzapan