Author Topic: Harvest King Gold Medal Flour No2  (Read 9085 times)

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
Harvest King Gold Medal Flour No2
« on: January 08, 2007, 04:55:03 PM »
My last thread was hijacked so I thought I would start a new one.
I prepared this recipe for Wednesday.

The Harvest King flour is a wonderful new addtion to my recipe and for now I see no need of going back to High gluten flour.

22 oz Harvest King Flour

13.6  oz Water by weight warm 110deg.

2 TBS + 2 teaspoons raw sugar

1 TBS + 1 ts Honey

1 Tbs + 1 ts  Classico Olive Oil

2 ¼ ts salt

1 ¼  teaspoon instant yeast

Put flour, yeast and salt in mixer bowl then run on stir.

Mix sugar, honey, oil and water then add to bowl on stir, stop after 2 minutes.
During the first 7 min knead at speed 2 you will have to add one or two tablespoons of flour before the end of the 7 minutes but remember this is a very wet dough.  In a KitchenAid Mixer a very large say 2 to 3”round dough will remain stuck to the bottom of the mixer bowl.
Rest 5 min
Run 7 min on speed 2
Rest 5 min
Run 7  min on speed 2

This dough will have a very hard time standing up very high under its own weight.  Flour you hands then dump the dough on a floured surface.  Knead by hand a few times then form a ball.

Place in an oiled bowl in the cooler for two nights. Take dough out of cooler three hours in advance of shaping.  Divide dough in half and cover until time to shape.
Make a mixture of equal parts flour white corn meal and semolina.  Coat each dough ball heavily with mixture then shape to a 12” to 14” pizza 
Bake at 500 on stone or screen.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 10:31:03 PM by Randy »

Offline joebot

Re: Harvest King Gold Medal Flour No2
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 09:32:09 PM »
Sounds good!,  Does this make enough dough for 2-12 inch or 2-14 inch pizzas??

Thanks, 

Joe

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 10:35:30 PM »
You divide the dough in-half Joe then make 2 pizzas in the 12"-14" range.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 07:23:51 AM »
After two days in the cooler, we baked our pizzas last night.  On the two 12" pizzas, we added Boars Head pepperoni, spicy hot pork sausage and pineapple packed in heavy syrup for a sweet tie to the hot sausage.  Each pizza was coated with one-half cup of sauce and 1/4 pound Poly-O part skim mozzarella.
One of the best pizzas we have ever made.  This Harvest King flour is impressive.

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 10:32:17 PM »
Randy, that really looks great. I asked a question in the other thread about the flour and water. Are they measured by weight or by volume? Thanks for posting this recipe. 8) Bryan
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007, 09:03:50 AM »
By weight Bryan.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007, 02:31:04 PM »
Made this pizza again yesterday using Gold Medal's Harvest King flour.  I find it makes a superior pizza to the KASL and that to me was a shock.  I have had to slightly increase the flour in my recipes.  It sure is good to pay $1.89 for five pounds of GMHK flour compared to what I was paying for KASL plus shipping.

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2007, 03:15:24 PM »
Made this pizza again yesterday using Gold Medal's Harvest King flour.  I find it makes a superior pizza to the KASL and that to me was a shock.  I have had to slightly increase the flour in my recipes.  It sure is good to pay $1.89 for five pounds of GMHK flour compared to what I was paying for KASL plus shipping.
Randy, can't wait to make this. I'm waiting on my Grande cheese from Vern's. I was going to order some KASL from the Bakers Catalogue but read your threads about the HK flour and how well you liked it. Went to my local store and picked it up for $1.85 can't beat that price. Thanks for posting all the info on this flour.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 03:18:15 PM by Bryan S »

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2007, 04:34:41 PM »
Bryan use a 2 day cooler rise and plan on using a tablespoon or two more flour.  The first time I made my recipe with flour it was very wet but one tablespoon brought on up on the dough hook just right.  I have not worked the exact addition into my recipe yet but as I said one to two tablespoons more flour should be good especially when you pick up flour for the final hand knead.

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2007, 05:05:43 PM »
Went to my local store and picked it up for $1.85 can't beat that price.

Wal*Mart sells it for $0.96.

EDIT: Obviously that's only for certain markets, but the fact is, it can be picked up for less than $1.85.  It's even $1.49 at some full-price supermarkets.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 05:20:28 PM by November »

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2007, 05:20:17 PM »
Wal*Mart sells it for $0.96.
Thanks November that's good to know. Next time i go to Super Wally World (15 miles oneway) to get some briskets for the smoker i'll pick up a couple of bags. Also might try the Great value tomatos people talk about (i use Red Pack now). My local grocery store is 1/4 mile away and my truck is a gas hog, so no special trips just for flour.  :D

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2007, 05:29:08 PM »
no special trips just for flour

A 30-mile trip for just a couple bags of flour wouldn't be economical even if your truck wasn't a gas hog.  I don't know what you pay for gas, but even at $2/gallon, you would have to get 33.7 miles to the gallon just to break even.

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2007, 12:06:26 PM »
I just wanted to update this thread on prices for the Harvest King flour.  I recently visited Wal*Mart and noticed that they increased the price to $1.92.  I can see where $0.96 might have been an introductory price, but that kind of price increase is crazy since the chain supermarket right across the street still sells it for $1.49.

Offline pizzoid

• Lifetime Member
  • A Hideous, Addictive, substance dependency
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2007, 03:44:43 PM »

Hmmm. I found the opposite. I'm on my second try with HK. I didn't think the flavor or texture was better than KASL (though it tastes like it will make killer pretzels), and it needed more water in the same recipe (5% by weight) than the KASL did. Could be cooking technique or something else, I suppose.

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2007, 03:51:03 PM »
Hmmm. I found the opposite. I'm on my second try with HK. I didn't think the flavor or texture was better than KASL (though it tastes like it will make killer pretzels), and it needed more water in the same recipe (5% by weight) than the KASL did. Could be cooking technique or something else, I suppose.

I don't think it's your technique.  I concluded the same about Harvest King flour's absorption capability.  KASL would be an even greater contrast to Harvest King than the KABF.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4008.msg37559.html#msg37559

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2007, 04:16:45 PM »
I had the same comment about the hydration in my posts on the first Harvest king thread.  It really is moist when compared to most flours at the same hydration.  This can be a good thing depending on what type of pizza you are making.

Pizzoid, I also decided that that gold medal does not make as good of a NY style pie as KASL, but it does make a better american style (domino's type), or an even better american thin and crispy (as I covered in the round table thread).

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2007, 06:16:06 PM »
. . . and it needed more water in the same recipe (5% by weight) than the KASL did. Could be cooking technique or something else, I suppose.

That is odd, I found it needed less water.

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2007, 08:29:03 PM »
That is odd, I found it needed less water.
You know i started feeding my sourdough starters with the HK and i noticed when scooping out the flour it seems damp. It's really clumpy and just looks like it's got some moisture in it, resembles a flour cinnamon sugar topping like you'd put on top apple crisp/coffee cake. ??? My bag of HK was dumped straight into a airtight container, so it was like this when purchased.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2007, 12:04:22 AM »
Randy, I have had the same results as you. my HK is definitely much wetter than my KASL at the same hydration. 

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2007, 11:33:34 PM »
Made the dough tonight and before dumping the flour in i ran it through the sifter. Got several hard clumps, about the size of a aspirin. Just thought I'd post about the very hard clumps of flour in my 5 lb bag. I also had to add 2 extra TBS of flour to mine. This dough looks very nice and although somewhat wet, was very easy to work with.

pizzapan