Author Topic: Harvest King Gold Medal Flour No2  (Read 8698 times)

Offline Bryan S

Re: Harvest King Gold Medal Flour No2
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2007, 07:18:42 PM »
I made a pie tonight with this dough and i really liked it. I didn't get it as thin as i would have liked due to a small oven stone. I used it straight out of the fridge and the dough was so easy too work with. Thanks for posting this Randy, it's a keeper.  ;D
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2007, 10:54:09 AM »
Bryan, glad you enjoyed the pizza.  If you take it out of the cooler three hours in advance of panning you might even like it better.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 10:56:05 AM by Randy »

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2007, 11:53:19 AM »
Bryan, glad you enjoyed the pizza.  If you take it out of the cooler three hours in advance of panning you might even like it better.

Randy, I was waiting for company to come over my house one time and the dough sat out like this before they came (they were very late). The pizza turned out fantastic! It seems like the crust develops larger voids when doing it this way. After it proofed at RT, I was careful not to disturb the crust egde while stretching out the dough.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2007, 01:19:27 PM »
I have discovered the same thing. The last dough in a series of doughs often produces the best crust. Unless the dough is on its last legs (overrisen), it can usually last 3-4 hours longer beyond the initial warm-up time, especially in winter. In summer you may want to watch the dough more closely.

Peter

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2007, 01:54:37 PM »
DNAdan and Peter I use to think an hour was enough but a few years back I went to two hours now I am using three.  During this time of the year even at three the dough has a coolness to it.  I use three to fours on the Chicago.

Offline Jack

• Pizza; it's what's for dinner, breakfast........
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2007, 04:44:15 PM »
I agree.  I've been calling home from work to have the NY Style doughs taken out of the fridge three or so hours before cooking time.  My Grandma/Sicilian style doughs get shaped while still cold put back in the fridge.  They come out for at least six hours before cooking.

Jack 
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 04:46:54 PM by Jack »

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2007, 06:31:55 PM »
Made a pie tonight with the second dough ball (made the dough on Jan 27). Had some issues with the dough rising so much in the fridge, kept blowing the lid off. I degassed it several times during the past week but it just kept rising. Anywho i stretched it out really thin on to a 16" pizza screen and topped it with sauce made from Red Packs, Grande whole milk mozz, and Ezzo roni. It was really good, we liked it that thin. Here's some pics of the pie. Thanks again Randy for posting this recipe.
http://www.villagephotos.com/members/viewimage.asp?id_=19399685
« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 07:56:09 PM by Bryan S »
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2007, 07:03:01 PM »
Glad you enjoyed the pizza.  I designed the recipe for a two day rise so yes I can see why you had to punch it down.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2007, 07:59:46 PM »
Adding eight-tenths of an ounce more flour worked perfect for the Harvest King flour.  I have a tried a two day rise and an overnight and both were very tasty.  I tried reducing the sugar by 2 teaspoons and the honey by one.  This works well on a screen on the bottom rack.

22.8 oz Harvest King Flour

13.6  oz Water by weight warm 110deg.

2 TBS + 2 teaspoons raw sugar

1 TBS + 1 ts Honey

1 Tbs + 1 ts  Classico Olive Oil

2 ¼ ts salt

1 ¼  teaspoon instant yeast

Put flour, yeast and salt in mixer bowl then run on stir.

Mix sugar, honey, oil and water then add to bowl on stir, stop after 2 minutes.
During the first 7 min knead at speed 2 you will have to add one or two tablespoons of flour before the end of the 7 minutes but remember this is a very wet dough.  In a KitchenAid Mixer a very large say 2 to 3”round dough will remain stuck to the bottom of the mixer bowl.
Rest 5 min
Run 7 min on speed 2
Rest 5 min
Run 7  min on speed 2

This dough will have a very hard time standing up very high under its own weight.  Flour you hands then dump the dough on a floured surface.  Knead by hand a few times then form a ball.

Place in an oiled bowl in the cooler for two nights. Take dough out of cooler three hours in advance of shaping.  Divide dough in half and cover until time to shape.
Make a mixture of equal parts flour white corn meal and semolina.  Coat each dough ball heavily with mixture then shape to a 12” to 14” pizza 
Bake at 500 on stone or screen.