Author Topic: Making Garlic Knots, let the dough rise first or after?  (Read 3017 times)

Offline alm99

• I Love Pizza!
Making Garlic Knots, let the dough rise first or after?
« on: January 10, 2007, 09:49:32 PM »
I will be making garlic knots tomorrow and was wondering if I should let the dough rise like I was making a NY Style pizza dough or mix the dough, make the knots and then let the knots rise?  Also should I drizzle butter and toss minced garlic after cooking?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning

Offline alm99

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Making Garlic Knots, let the dough rise first or after?
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 08:19:25 AM »
alm99,

See hyperlink...

Peter

Thanks, Peter. I saw that thread, but I guess my question is do I immediately start pinching off dough making knots the moment that I am done mixing with the KitchenAid mixer or do I rip off dough after the 24 hour rise in the fridge?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 10:07:33 AM »
alm99,

I think you should be able to do it at any stage so long as the dough can be handled easily and, for best results, you then let the knots rise before baking. However, if you try to make the knots with the dough right out of the mixer, the dough may be too elastic with a lot of springback. It might be better to let the dough rise, at room temperature, for an hour or more or until the dough is soft and then shape the knots. I also don't see any reason why you can't put dough knots in the refrigerator after forming and use them the next day after letting them warm up to room temperature and rise a bit. It should also be possible to make the dough knots from cold fermented bulk dough or dough scraps so long as you let them rise enough to get good oven spring.

I suspect that doughs that use a fair amount of yeast may be better candidates for dough knots, and that doughs using a softer flour, like all-purpose, may be easier to handle. I often make cold-fermented doughs with little yeast that rise very little while under refrigeration. I think one would have to let the dough knots really warm up before using to get the best results.

Peter

Offline AKSteve

• Lifetime Member
  • We are all made from the same dough.
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 09:19:02 PM »
The easiest way to make them is to start off by treating the dough as if you were making a pizza with it. Let it warm up to room temperature after you take it out of the fridge. Then stretch it out like you're making a pizza, only make the shape square instead of round. Then take your pizza wheel and slice it across in 1/2 inch strips. Then give it slice down the middle, cutting them all in half. Tie each strip in a knot and put them all on an oiled pan. After baking, brush with garlic butter & sprinkle with seasoned parmesan cheese.

Steve
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 09:20:42 PM by AKSteve »

Offline Jack

• Pizza; it's what's for dinner, breakfast........
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 10:46:56 PM »
AKSteve,

Now that is quick and easy.

Thanks!

Jack