Author Topic: NEED HELP/Upstate NY greek style pan pizza  (Read 2661 times)

Offline 67gretsch

• I Love Pizza!
NEED HELP/Upstate NY greek style pan pizza
« on: January 13, 2007, 10:56:29 PM »
As a college student at Syracuse U back in the late 70's - all the pizzerias around campus made what they called
Greek style pan pizzas.
NOT GREEK PIZZAS - which I currently build at my reataurant with feta/calmata olives / good Greek oregano etc.
But, instead - Greek style pizza.
The crusts were a bit crunchy/crispy - somewhat thick as they were baked in pans and had a real buttery flavor.
I never worked in any of those pizzerias back then - wish I had.
I now need to know how to make these wonderful pies to offer them to my customers here in the Midwest.

We make traditional NY hand tossed pies as well as Sicilian and Chicago traditional deep dish - I now want to be  able
to offer the Upstate NY Pies.
Can anyone offer me some REAL inside info on this mystery?
Thanks in advance!!
Chef Kenn

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: NEED HELP/Upstate NY greek style pan pizza
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 11:15:20 PM »
67gretsch,

I think you may want to check out this thread: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,691.msg6229.html#msg6229. My attempt at a Greek/pub style pizza is detailed at Reply 20 in the same thread, at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,691.msg27482.html#msg27482.

Peter

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 01:47:17 AM »
Never heard of that. Interesting.
I know what IS good, though----pizza with gyros meat. Honest!

Offline 67gretsch

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 12:43:03 PM »
Thanks  Peet-zza.
I went home last night and using some of my high gluten dough tried a Greek style pie.
The result looked like what I'm after - but the crust did not have that slight crispiness .
I will try with a dough from AP flour next. I went a step furhter and greased the pan with whole butter.
I believe that the Boston style Greek bar pizza is probably VERY close to the on  I am seeking.
I really need to hear from some upstate NY pizza freaks - this way I can compare and sift through all of the info - and really dial it in.
ANYONE FROM SYRACUSE OUT THERE???????????

Incidentally - I grew up in  New Jersey,where we take our pizza as seriously as those from NYC. Our Sicilian style was probably the best Ive EVER had.
In Trenton there used to be a place called DeLorenzo's - which served a famous pie that they called Tomato Pie. Frank Sinatra always came there - when he was in Jersey and the walls were covered with photos and autographs of famous stars who ate there. It was the best Neopolitan style I've EVER had ANYWHERE.
Three Brothers Pizza( on the boardwalk was laways a great place for Sicilian by the slice. I miss it alot.
But this request for Greek style from Upstate NY is something quite different - I appreciate your help.
I will continue to hope for an UPstate connection.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 02:12:19 PM »
67gretsch.

After spending some time with the recipe that peter linked for the Boston Greek style I have come to the conclusion that the pizzerias here in Boston use more sugar.  I actually prefer pete-zza's recipe, but you may want to up that sugar and see if it is closer to what you are after.  I know it will give you a more crispy crust.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 03:57:25 PM »
Chef Kenn,

When I made my pizza, I used oil in the pan, not butter. I had been led to understand that butter in the pan gives more flavor but that oil produces greater crispiness (see, for example, http://www.pmq.com/cgi-bin/tt/index.cgi?noframes;read=16679). I apparently didn’t take a photo of the bottom of the Greek-pub styled pizza I made, but it looked pretty much like the last photo of the pizza shown here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2711.msg27894.html#msg27894. When I reheated leftover slices in my toasteroven, the crust was still crispy. Pizza Hut uses an enormous amount of oil in the pans for its pan pizzas, so it is apparently a key to their getting a crispy, essentially “fried”, bottom crust.

As I previously mentioned, I used a dark anodized cutter pan from pizzatools.com. I have used it and other similar pans and have always gotten good results. One day, I’d like to get one of the used (well-seasoned) pans from a pizza operator who makes the Greek style pizza.

Peter

Offline pizza king

• Sal's Rules
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 04:06:36 PM »
I also heard they use cheddar cheese.

Offline 67gretsch

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 06:26:27 PM »
YES- thank you- I believe the oil would be a better solution than butter for the pans. I actually do use the black seasoned pans from a commercial pizza company as well as steel pans - they are both very good.
I also agree about the sugar - I will increase this for the next batch.
I will continue this quest aND LET YOU KNOW.
I did use white cheddar on the test batch and I thought it was accurate for flavor profile. I mixed it with mozz about 80/20 mozz to cheddar.
I will try a blend next with some good quality provalone as well.
I still want to hear from someone from UPSTATE NY if possible.
Thanks again. guys.
Kenn

Offline pizza king

• Sal's Rules
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007, 08:36:41 PM »
The cheaper the restaurant the more Cheddar they use.

YES- thank you- I believe the oil would be a better solution than butter for the pans. I actually do use the black seasoned pans from a commercial pizza company as well as steel pans - they are both very good.
I also agree about the sugar - I will increase this for the next batch.
I will continue this quest aND LET YOU KNOW.
I did use white cheddar on the test batch and I thought it was accurate for flavor profile. I mixed it with mozz about 80/20 mozz to cheddar.
I will try a blend next with some good quality provalone as well.
I still want to hear from someone from UPSTATE NY if possible.
Thanks again. guys.
Kenn

Offline Stavs

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2007, 07:47:31 PM »

Three Brothers Pizza( on the boardwalk was laways a great place for Sicilian by the slice. I miss it alot.

I lloved that place...the one in Wildwood right?

pizzapan