Author Topic: Costco pizza recipe?  (Read 27868 times)

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
Costco pizza recipe?
« on: January 16, 2007, 03:44:40 AM »
Hey,

Does anyone have a recipe for Costco pizza (dough and/or sauce)?  I'm not sure if they serve pizza at all Costco's but the ones I have been to in South Bay (stores in San Jose & Santa Clara) sell it by the slice/pie and it seems very consistent from store to store so I'm assuming it's a standard recipe they share. 

If anyone has any info on it, let me know.  My wife likes it and I have to admit that it's pretty good because it reminds me of the pizza from a place in my home town in Maine. 

Pic here: http://static.flickr.com/63/174264739_f04a09f37f_o.jpg

- aba

Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline ghost

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Costco pizza recipe?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 03:14:49 AM »
They sell their dough.  Why bother trying to make it when you can probably buy it cheaply.

Offline SemperFi

• Getting there, slowly but surely
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 10:59:04 AM »
They sell their dough.  Why bother trying to make it when you can probably buy it cheaply.

I don't think that he just wants the dough, he wants to replicate it.  There are people here that can buy Patsy's dough, but its more satisfying to learn how to make it.  Give a man a fish, eat for the day, teach a man how to fish, eat for a lifetime.  Or something like that.  Adam
Adam

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 12:43:47 PM »
Exactly.

Plus I don't expect to be living near a costco forever.

- Aaron
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline SemperFi

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 01:27:25 PM »
Don't have the recipe yet, but I did find out that the dough was formulated by Goglanian Bakeries.  And apparently he "Alexander Goglanian"  worked for NASA also.  It states on this link:

http://www.costcoconnection.com/connection/cooking/?pg=195

that the dough is made in 2 minutes!!!  So what they are using as ingredients is beyond my knowledge. I did a patent search on them, hoping to find something, but am still getting nowhere.  Will keep you posted.  At least we know the name of the bakery that assisted them.

Adam
Adam

Offline chewie

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 03:53:35 PM »
I don't think that he just wants the dough, he wants to replicate it.  There are people here that can buy Patsy's dough, but its more satisfying to learn how to make it.  Give a man a fish, eat for the day, teach a man how to fish, eat for a lifetime.  Or something like that.  Adam

I thought it was "Give a man fire, he's warm for the day.  Set him on fire, he's warm for the rest of his life.", but I could be wrong.

Offline SemperFi

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 03:57:17 PM »
 :-D  Never heard that one before.  I guess after that, wouldn't have to worry about tracking down the elusive Kirkland Signature Pizza recipe.

Adam
Adam

Offline addicted

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 12:57:19 AM »
It is better than any chain, take and bake, or frozen pizza but I personally would not try to replicate it. The sauce is really sweet and the dough is pressed by machine. But for about 2 bucks after spending at least 300 it is not bad. I take that back. For the amount of money I spend there, I should get a free slice!!!! My guess would be a medium gluten bromated flour with lots of yeast, barley malt, and vegetable oil. The sauce taste like it has corn syrup in it. My kids love it of course. Up here they use the Pizza Pleezer pans to keep the dough crisp. IMHO avoid any pizza that is cooked in a conveyer oven.
Well....okay,then.

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 02:58:08 AM »
It is better than any chain, take and bake, or frozen pizza but I personally would not try to replicate it. The sauce is really sweet and the dough is pressed by machine. But for about 2 bucks after spending at least 300 it is not bad. I take that back. For the amount of money I spend there, I should get a free slice!!!! My guess would be a medium gluten bromated flour with lots of yeast, barley malt, and vegetable oil. The sauce taste like it has corn syrup in it. My kids love it of course. Up here they use the Pizza Pleezer pans to keep the dough crisp. IMHO avoid any pizza that is cooked in a conveyer oven.

Eh, it's not really my style of pizza either.  But if your loved ones like it why wouldn't you want to try and replicate it?  ;-)  That's pretty much my motivation.

- Aaron

Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline SemperFi

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 07:58:55 AM »
Eh, it's not really my style of pizza either.  But if your loved ones like it why wouldn't you want to try and replicate it?  ;-)  That's pretty much my motivation.

- Aaron

That's plenty of motivation for me.  And while replicating it, you can make it healthier and possibly limit some of the unnecessary sugars.  Adam
My daughter loves it too!
Adam

Offline addicted

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007, 11:07:57 PM »
Good points!
Well....okay,then.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2007, 02:26:49 PM »
Hi Aba

A Costco in my area has an exhibition window and I have watched them form their pies. The shelves were void of any clues on the sauce or other pizza ingredients.

I can tell you that the dough is portioned into large balls that are stored in 2 L Camwear round foodservices containers with copius amounts of oil. They are stacked in the prep area until time to shape.

A dough press is used and they are placed on flat unpolished round metal sheets with the 3/8 holes.

I detect mushroom flavor in the sauce and possibly "fresh" garlic.

I purchased their takeNbake version once, and never bought it again. It is obviously a different formula, but didn't think to check out the ingredients for possible clues for the sauce.

The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2007, 08:49:43 PM »
Yeah I tried the take and bake once too and it sucks.  I guess there's a reason they don't show you the docked, cardboard looking crust through the packaging...they would never sell any. 
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline maxrogers

Lamonica's Pizza Dough
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2009, 07:09:49 PM »
Apparently Costco uses Lamonica's Pizza Dough:
"Among our clients you will find COSTCO, NORDSTROMS, SEGA GAME WORKS, who appreciate our quality and consistency." source: http://lamonicaspizzadough.com

scampi says the same thing:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=1439.0

monkuboy on chowhound says that he has seen the packages @ Costco:
http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/421201#2751653

;D Now who has a copycat recipe for Lamonica's dough!  ;D Anyone?

Offline dicepackage

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2009, 02:10:18 AM »
Unfortunately, they don't sell their pizza dough at my Costco.  I tried getting some after reading this thread but had no luck.  I would really be interested in a pizza dough clone but don't really have the ability to do it myself.  I found some nutritional information in the link below but I don't have any idea what to do with it to start reconstructing.
http://fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/costco/combo-pizza

Offline Kaveman42

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2009, 04:15:26 PM »
Not sure if Lamonicas dough is the ones they sell in balls but I'm fairly certain that the dough Costco uses to make the pizza at the food court is from Goglanian. I remember seeing it on Costco's site. It can also be likely that they use both depending on location.

Also to confirm that they dont use their own dough, I have seen them rip open bags of dough and put them in containers to store them away for the next day. The bags of dough was packed in boxes.

Offline dkipta

• 65 Econoline
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2011, 09:38:26 AM »
I have to agree. The sauce is very good.  I have tried to purchase from them with no luck.  I believe it is made by Contadina?

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2011, 11:35:10 PM »
I remember Coctco uses Lamonicas dough balls
I buy mine at $22 a case with 50 dough balls frozen....40 somewhat cents each lol
They use NYC water and made in brooklyn so the Box says..............................JT