Author Topic: Forum upgrade  (Read 35323 times)

Offline dcervone

Re: Forum upgrade
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2007, 04:33:02 PM »
Yeah, for the record my images are showing up now, too.
-Dan

Offline pizzoid

• Lifetime Member
  • A Hideous, Addictive, substance dependency
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2007, 10:03:48 AM »
We seem to be getting scroll bars in any message that's longer than a few lines, now.

I do not like this, I'm already scrolling using the page scroll. I don't see anything in profiles to allow disabling it. I have to keep going back & forth, and it slows down scanning threads significantly.

Anyone else like or dislike?

- Al

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2007, 10:18:34 AM »
We seem to be getting scroll bars in any message that's longer than a few lines, now.

I do not like this, I'm already scrolling using the page scroll. I don't see anything in profiles to allow disabling it. I have to keep going back & forth, and it slows down scanning threads significantly.

Anyone else like or dislike?

- Al

Not sure I understand  ???

I don't see any scroll bars when viewing topics.
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline pizzoid

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2007, 11:54:47 AM »
Not sure I understand  ???

I don't see any scroll bars when viewing topics.

Right there to the right of your reply, inside the boxed message! It seems to only be happening if there is quoted text.

In your reply, the scroll bar can't go anywhere. I've just edited this message to see if adding a line lets the length get long enough so it has something to do.

It did. Next modification it didn't, just enlarged the size of the message box. I wonder if this is some FireFox oddity...?

- Al
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 12:43:49 PM by pizzoid »

Offline Boy Hits Car

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2007, 12:06:09 PM »
Right there to the right of your reply, inside the boxed message! It seems to only be happening if there is quoted text.

In your reply, the scroll bar ca't go anywhere. I've just edited this message to see if adding a line lets the length get long enough so it has something to do.

It did. Next modification it didn't, just enlarged the size of the message box. I wonder if this is some FireFox oddity...?

- Al

I have firefox 1.5.0.9 and it isn't doing that.  I can read all the text without scrolling; and there isn't a scroll bar.  What version of firefox do you have?  Go under Help->About Mozilla Firefox
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 12:07:51 PM by Boy Hits Car »

Offline pizzoid

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2007, 12:18:39 PM »
I have firefox 1.5.0.9 and it isn't doing that.  I can read all the text without scrolling; and there isn't a scroll bar.  What version of firefox do you have?  Go under Help->About Mozilla Firefox

1.0.7. Hmmmm. Time to upgrade!

Nope, make that 1.7.12
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 12:22:48 PM by pizzoid »

Offline Boy Hits Car

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2007, 12:24:41 PM »

1.0.7. Hmmmm. Time to upgrade!

Nope, make that 1.7.12

Yikes! Do I dare upgrade?  :-\

Offline Boy Hits Car

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2007, 12:31:13 PM »
Ok updated to Firefox 2.0.0.1.  Still no scrolling problem.

Offline pizzoid

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2007, 12:40:18 PM »
Weirder and weirder. First one of Boy Hits Car's posts came up with scroll bars, both vertical and horizontal, both able to move the message window. After he posted a second time about his Firefox upgrade, his original message was moved to second position, the horizontal scroll line disappeared, and the message increased in size vertically to show all the text. The scroll bar is still there, but now it has nowhere to move.  ??? ??? ???

-Al

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2007, 04:00:04 PM »
I recently received PMs from a couple of members who indicated that they were unable to send PMs to other members because their message boxes were full. The reason for this is that Regular (non-supporting) members have a mailbox size limit of 50 messages. Supporting members have a limit of 200 messages.

To be sure that new messages are received, members may want to use the new "Prune Messages" feature under their inbox preferences to delete old mail.

Peter

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2007, 06:10:45 PM »
Great job steve! Although I was a little pissed at first because I bought a new monitor the same day you made the switch and I thought it was the monitor settings changing the fonts and sizes :-D

My only comment is the header. I miss the older one. This new red blob is (do I dare say....) Placenta-ish? or perhaps it reminds me of fertilization occuring? Where do you come up with these things? Are you a freemason?

At any rate, it just doesn't give me the "vibe" of homemade pizza. Maybe it's too abstract for my left brain.

Offline Boy Hits Car

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2007, 09:41:29 AM »
Great job steve! Although I was a little pissed at first because I bought a new monitor the same day you made the switch and I thought it was the monitor settings changing the fonts and sizes :-D

My only comment is the header. I miss the older one. This new red blob is (do I dare say....) Placenta-ish? or perhaps it reminds me of fertilization occuring? Where do you come up with these things? Are you a freemason?

At any rate, it just doesn't give me the "vibe" of homemade pizza. Maybe it's too abstract for my left brain.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the new image.  I think you need a higher resolution images so it doesn't look so pix elated.  Also, it isn't a link any more to the front page :(

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2007, 09:51:26 AM »
I kind of like it.

In the early days of the universe, there were great clouds of tasty particles that came together to form the Great Pizza Galaxy!   :D

Bill/SFNM

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2007, 08:21:40 AM »
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the new image.  I think you need a higher resolution images so it doesn't look so pix elated.  Also, it isn't a link any more to the front page :(

I don't like it either. It was something that I threw together... quick and dirty.

We have two options... I can revert back to the original images... or the members here can submit some ideas (or I will revert and try to come up with something better when time permits).

Comments?
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2007, 02:56:36 PM »
I think if you go with the same image, just make it a little less pixelated. I mean some blur to an image can be nice, but it's difficult to even discern what you're looking at with this one. I assume it's a pizza slice only because of the title of the website.

It's very impressionistic, but like I said, I personally don't get fond pizza memories looking at it.

And Steve, personally I don't think anyone really cares beyond a doubt what the page looks like or how it feels. It's all about the content for me! I think you do an excellent job here and these boards are one of the best to navigate and post to IMO. Thanks for all your hard work, I appreciate being able to come here and interact with all these great people. 

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2007, 09:31:12 PM »
And Steve, personally I don't think anyone really cares beyond a doubt what the page looks like or how it feels.

Have to disagree on this Dan.When you spend a lot of time looking at a website ,to me it should be easy on the eye and well thought out and designed.I can.t offer much in the way of constructive criticism ,but I know what I like when I see it !
If it were me I would have a nice B&W photo of a pizza maker/ovens/peel  going into the oven or similar background for the banner which I think would be a nice contrast to the colored Slice Logo and Typeface.
                                            David
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline Boy Hits Car

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2007, 10:54:05 AM »
Scott,

I spent a few minutes playing around with a picture I took in NY on Sunday.  I like the idea you had, it was just that the picture you used wasn't of high enough resolution.  I didn't know what font you used for the text, but this was I did:

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2007, 04:23:27 PM »
Scott,

I spent a few minutes playing around with a picture I took in NY on Sunday.  I like the idea you had, it was just that the picture you used wasn't of high enough resolution.  I didn't know what font you used for the text, but this was I did:

Looks good. If you want to send me a hi-res version (pizza only), I will use it!  :D

Offline Boy Hits Car

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2007, 09:54:05 AM »
Looks good. If you want to send me a hi-res version (pizza only), I will use it!  :D

Steve,

I sent you an email with the graphic a week ago, just want to verify that you received it.

Mike

Offline pftaylor

• Life's Short. Get Wood Fired Up!
« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2007, 08:00:57 AM »
Steve,
I have been encountering a constraint over and over again and thought I would share it with you. The mailbox size is apparently very small which leads to various members not being able to accept new messages. Is there any way to increase the space available? Of course, an easy solution would be for the members to regularly clean out their messages but that is not happening.
Pizza Raquel is Simply Everything You’d Want.
www.wood-firedpizza.com

pizzapan