Author Topic: Cake yeast  (Read 3316 times)

Offline masterbaker

Cake yeast
« on: June 27, 2004, 10:55:48 PM »
 Hey guys.
 I am brand new here, so bear with me. I am having a heluva time loging on with this website (just me).
 I was wondering if anyone has tryed cake yeast in your dough recipe? I heard good and bad things. I would like to try it.
 Since I stumbled upon a goldmine of a website, I thought I would ask the home pros. I think it would be interesting.
 I must take time to read all the old post. Maybe it was covered somewhere, but, I ahhh... I'm busy with my children right now ::). THANX!

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
Re:Cake yeast
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2004, 07:57:04 AM »
I use instant yeast with excellent results. Never tried compressed yeast.
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline masterbaker

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2004, 09:02:42 PM »
 I use instant yeast to. never had a problem. My friend said cake yeast is awesome in pizza. Maybe it is. Everyone has there own prefrance. Pizza dough is a very personal thing. Everyone is different. I will try this cake yeast and report back. (when I get a chance)
 Thanx Steve.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2004, 09:30:40 PM »
That's what this forum is all about... experimentation!

Please post your results when you have them!  :)
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Wayne

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2004, 04:15:27 PM »
I've alwys wanted to try it, but unfortunately I haven't found a store that carries it in this mudhole called louisiana.
Trancending time, an age old battle with no victor...

An eternal struggle withthin every being...

The threads of fate which bind the very essence of existence...

Thick crust, or thin?

Offline masterbaker

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2004, 04:38:09 PM »
 Well... I finally got the chance to use some cake yeast (fresh yeast). Half the battle was finding it. The local hillbillys in my town had no idea what I was talking about. I ended up going to a huge grocery chain place.
 The result? My thick crust pepperoni pizza turned out perfect again. No real difference in taste. This was the best pizza I ever made to date, but I can't blame it on the yeast- I don't think.
 Fresh yeast comes in a little 2 oz. moist chunk. No directions so I had to go to the Red Star website to learn. I used a 3rd of the 2 oz. chunk and treated it like instant yeast the rest of the way (24 hour rise in fridge). I dissolved it in 90* F water with 1 tsp. sugar. Looked like the 4th of July in my cup. Little explosions. I have to use this stuff within 10 days it says. Good thing I bought 4 packs >:(
 I have to say that I'm sticking with instant yeast from here on out. Everything is so much easier. Instant lasts so much longer, and is easier to find. If I knew for sure that it (fresh yeast) contributed to a better taste, I would stick with the fresh stuff.
 If you have some time on your hands, give this a try. It was fun.

Offline masterbaker

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2004, 11:20:25 PM »
 I froze half my cake yeast dough when I tryed this originally. Today I made a pizza from the other half (frozen half) for my kids. They said, "Dad, what did you do to the dough?" I didn't tell them what I did with the yeast. It was the best pizza I ever cooked for them they said.
 So.... This leads me to believe that fresh yeast could make a difference in the taste. I just thought that yeast couldn't make that much of a taste difference ??? I may have been wrong. That would be a first. LOL!
 If anyone can try this and compare notes with me... I would appreciate it. Thanx.

Off topic:   I plugged this site a few times at a place where I call home. Can I mention it? It is called www.Discusscooking.com. I have seen other ppl plug a BBQ site here, so I hope I am not out of line here. Correct me if I am. I just love food. Most of all, PIZZA! I have a outdoor wood-fired pizza oven, imported from Italy in my back yard (I live on a farm). If you have ever had a pizza cooked in a wood fired oven..... Man... You can't beat it. I have more questions on stuff like... The perfect temp to bake a pie? 800*F? I have a bunch of questions for the home pros here. Anyway, check out discusscooking IF you want to, and tell them MJ sent you. Thanx again guys,
Mark.

pizzapan