Author Topic: Caputo OO Conversion Factor  (Read 2019 times)

Offline dikaryon

Caputo OO Conversion Factor
« on: January 21, 2007, 01:20:06 PM »
Long time lurker, first time poster here.

Hey all. Been reading this forum for about a year now, and have learned more than all my other pizza resources. Thanks for all the bleeding edge research!

Quick question. I've been using Caputo OO Blue for about 6 months now, and am used to the fact that hydration levels need to be adjusted downward considerably compared to other flours. I am currently experimenting with 57% for my Neapolitan-style pies, and am pretty happy with the results.

My question is whether anyone here has worked out a reliable conversion factor for this or other OO flours, such that you can easily convert a recipe from one to the other. I also use OO for No-Knead bread recipes, to great effect, but the 75% hydration I use in that recipe results in a very wet batter that is useable, but perhaps wetter than it needs to be.

If KASL pie calls for 63-65% and OO calls for 57%, that would give around 0.9 for a conversion factor. Anyone have a more accurate number they use?

Thanks in advace
Andrew

Offline dikaryon

Re: Caputo OO Conversion Factor
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 03:46:00 PM »
I'm surprised with all those using OO type flours around here that no one had an answer to this question.

Well, never mind, I put my guestimate to the test, using Jim Lahey's No-knead bread recipe as the benchmark. I made one batch of that using my modified recipe, with AP flour at 75% hydration. I then made the same recipe using Caputo OO blue, at 67.5% hydration (using the conversion factor of 0.9). The two dough balls (blobs, really) were more or less identical in shape & texture. The OO was maybe a hair more wet than the AP, but 0.9 seems close enough for government work.

Andrew

Offline AP

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 03:34:29 PM »
I couldn't get blue to work for pizza at any hydration level in my 550F oven.  I did once ignorantly try 60% hydration with extra blue and ended up with batter, not pizza dough!  Caputo 'pizzeria', however, works great!  It works especially well on a pizza stone on my grill running at full steam.  My mother came for the holidays and I insisted we use extra blue for the cannoli shells.  They were the most picture perfect cannoli shells I'd ever seen. Positively flawless works of cannoli art.  My sfingi formula needs some adjusting with this flour, though.

Offline dikaryon

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 10:18:59 AM »
I think perhaps I misspoke earlier. The flour I'm using is Caputo "Pizzeria" as well, not Blue. I was confused because the bag it comes in is blue.

aj

Offline RMF13

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 07:49:59 PM »
I have been using Caputo 00 for the past year and I use 54% hydration with great results