Author Topic: New York Pizza Tour - Need Advice  (Read 14798 times)

Offline gschwim

• I Love Pizza!
Re: New York Pizza Tour - Need Advice
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2007, 03:46:00 AM »
No one seems ever to mention it, but I really like Angelo's, at 117 W. 57th St., between Sixth and Seventh Aves.  Besides the (thin-crust, coal-oven) pizzas, I like the decor and atmosphere, the location right in Midtown -- and afterwards, walking down to Cafe Europa on the corner of Seventh Ave. for cappucino and dessert (as good a place as any to try -- and if you are visiting New York, you must try a slice of New York style cheesecake, very preferably with a scoop of vanilla ice cream).

Incidentally, I discovered Angelo's when, after attending a lecture by an Italian writer at the Rizzoli Bookstore down the street, he invited us all to join him for pizza.  The pizzeria he chose was Angelo's.

Oh, and the prices are quite reasonable.

Here are some customer reviews of Angelo's:  http://newyork.citysearch.com/review/7143707

Gene

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2007, 05:32:00 AM »
Angelo's is just ok in my book. Like grimaldi's but not as good. Not close to Luzzo or UPN or DiFara's, in my opinion.

Jeff

Offline thehorse

• Lifetime Member
  • Less is more
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2007, 02:07:04 AM »
Another place near UPN and Luzzo's called Pizza Gruppo is supposed to be really good, although I have not tried it yet. Anyone?.. Maybe I will check it out this week and report back.

Mike

Offline baseballmike1124

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2007, 10:40:24 PM »
A MANO

thats all I have to say.

This is by far the best pizza place I have ever been to. I have not visited all these great pizza places like most of you have. But A mano in Ridgewood is seriously the greatest pizza place atleast on the East coast.

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2007, 12:09:47 AM »
Oxymoron

That's all I have to say. ;)

I predict Cuba will win the next World Series.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 12:13:32 AM by David »
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline thehorse

• Lifetime Member
  • Less is more
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2007, 05:11:25 PM »
I tried Pizza Gruppo on Ave B bet 11&12 today...Its thin crust as in cracker style, big dissapointment. The people at Zagat rated it very high , I think they were very high. It even had corn meal on the bottom ???

Offline David

Re: A Mano NJ
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2007, 11:17:56 AM »
I think I found the links to tommy's reports (the new member that posted about Roberto earlier in this thread).

http://www.tommyeats.com/tommyeats/2007/01/a_mano_ridgewoo.html

http://www.tommyeats.com/tommyeats/2007/01/mano_ciao_rober.html

The pizza probably still need fine-tuning.

Also, I am sorry to note that the ovens are made by the same guys that made the Donna Margherita's OLD oven that was falling down and had to be demolished ( http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3777.msg31436.html#msg31436)

I really hope his have better luck in durability, but I remember anyway that oven never cooked properly (neapolitan way)..

Video: A Mano cooks authentic pizza of Naples

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2MTkmZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTcwOTY2MDImeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxNQ==
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline David

Re: A Mano NJ
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2007, 11:40:48 AM »

The pizza probably still need fine-tuning.

Also, I am sorry to note that the ovens are made by the same guys that made the Donna Margherita's OLD oven that was falling down and had to be demolished ( http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3777.msg31436.html#msg31436)

I really hope his have better luck in durability, but I remember anyway that oven never cooked properly (neapolitan way)..

I didn't realise that the original Donna oven was an Acunto?
The are the same manufacturers ovens that are used at the Naples Pizza fest by all the participents I believe.Interesting to see that Fred Mortati is behind this venture .I think an earlier report said some Indian businessmen were involved.Nice spacious looking restaurant that I must visit one of these days.
David

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2007, 02:44:57 PM »
David,

I had been meaning to call Fred Mortati for some time to get an update on his side of the pizza business as an importer of the Caputo flours, so your post reminded me to call him today. When I spoke with him and mentioned that I saw the video at the website you referenced, he told me that there was a mistake in the video and that he is not a partner. He has known Roberto for some time and he was at the restaurant to lend support to Roberto who had helped him and his business over the years as a user and promoter of the Caputo flours. I also learned that Acunto did not build the ovens. They were built by a Neapolitan “artisan builder” whose name did not ring a bell. Business at A Mano had been very good, no doubt helped by the article on the restaurant that you posted. I also saw an update on A Mano at tommyeats, at
http://www.tommyeats.com/tommyeats/2007/01/a_mano_ridgewoo.html.

Peter

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2007, 04:08:18 PM »
x
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 05:35:31 PM by scott r »

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2007, 04:41:12 PM »
Roberto is making pizzas in Ridgewood, but he is not officially open yet. If you stop by you can probably get a pizza.  The grand opening is scheduled for the end of Jan.  I have not been to Mano, but I did have his pizza at a Caputo sales event here in boston, and at the NY pizza show (with you!).

I had no clue about this.  It is all of 3 minutes from my house.  Seen it a few times but never had the chance to try it.   :o
Patrick

Offline David

« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2007, 09:35:59 PM »
I also learned that Acunto did not build the ovens. They were built by a Neapolitan “artisan builder” whose name did not ring a bell.

Peter

I guess the builder just used an Acunto oven door (which is what I believe is / was Acunto's primary business) from the look of the video.Am I right in thinking Fred Mortati is involved with the import of Acunto ovens / parts.?
I seem to remember speaking to him a few years ago and him mentioning that he could supply that oven.It was a long time ago though ,so I could be wrong.This has really piqued my thoughts actually Peter as I had just taken for granted the fact that because an oven has an Acunto door on it,that the whole oven was supplied / or made by them.Looking forward to trying Roberto's as that shaved Gran Cru and rucola looks delicious,
David

Offline tommy

• Always learning, and struggling. And eating.
    • tommy:eats
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2007, 10:09:38 PM »
i'm really looking forward to some of you nuts trying Roberto's pizza.  i just love it, and i think it compares favorably to Una Pizza Napletana in NYC.    (i'm the idiot from the tommyeats blog).

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2007, 10:26:12 PM »
Am I right in thinking Fred Mortati is involved with the import of Acunto ovens / parts.?

David,

I know from prior discussions with Fred that he has many contacts in Italy and is able to get ovens if he wants them, but I don't believe he is in the oven business himself. I did once joke with him that he would have to get into the high-temperature wood-fired oven business just to sell his flours (Caputo) since conveyor ovens and home ovens were inadequate. He may recommend certain ovens to others in order to increase his sales of flours but that may be as far as it goes.

Peter

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2007, 08:23:46 AM »
I guess the builder just used an Acunto oven door (which is what I believe is / was Acunto's primary business) from the look of the video.

There are two Acunto brothers in Naples that run two separate business. The dad had an "Officina" were metals were worked (iron mongers) and he produced doors and flue regulators and other metal parts used in wood fired ovens. One of the two brother has kept the dad business and now industrially produce the same metal parts as well as cheap ovens. The other brother has set up another business which produced those cheap ovens used at the pizzafest that also have performance problems (reports from various user at the same pizzafest).

The doors produced by Acunto are used by many "less skilled" oven builders that cannot get hold of an artisan capable of producing the real hand made door. I even know of one guy that put the door pannel the way around so that the brand is hiden.

Offline Cetus

• Bona Appetite!
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2007, 07:35:11 PM »
Hey All,

I'm planning a New York pizza tasting tour for this Sunday and need some recommendations.  Right now I plan to hit the following places:

First Choices:
DiFara's Brooklyn
Totonno's Brooklyn
Luzzo's Manhattan
Una Pizza Neapolatana Manhattan
John's Manhattan

Alternates:
Grimaldi's Brooklyn
Patsy's Manhattan
Naples 45 Manhattan

Any suggestions of where to go instead of the above listed?  Should I go to one or more of the alternates instead of some of my first choice places?  I've already tried Lombardi's and is why I don't list it here.  Thanks.

Mike

Might want to try A Mano : Chestnut Street at Franklin : Ridgewood, NJ.... Enjoy!!!!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 03:08:58 AM by Cetus »

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2007, 08:57:40 PM »
Tommy where do you live?  We are right over here in Hawthorne.

We tried "A Mano" tonight.  We actually took out, and went to my parents around the corner but we had the car waiting and my wife waiting inside, so from the oven to the table house was maybe 3 minutes.  We just the regular margherita and the bufala magherita.  My wife and I both preferred the regular margherita... could just be our taste buds are used to cow's milk.  It was definitely a great pizza, but between A Mano and Luzzo's at this point we both pick Luzzo's.  The crust just does not have that same insane consistency of being so light, fluffy, crunchy and chewy all at once.
It did seem like they are still "working things out." We went in very early and it was completely empty, and it took 30 minutes after they said come back in a few...

We'll definitely give it another try and dine in next time.
Patrick

Offline Barry

• Pizza Passion Perserverance
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2007, 11:08:37 AM »
Hi scott r,

In an earlier post, you stated your first choices for a tour of New York pizzarias as
" Mano caio Roberto
 Luzzo's Manhattan
 Grimaldi's Brooklyn
 Patsy's HARLEM
 Totonno's Brooklyn"

I will be visiting the USA during May, and, after visiting Chris Bianco in Phoenix, I plan to visit New York for 3 days. Could you please advise me of the addresses (and telephone numbers) of your first choices as listed above, and also let me know if I should reserve a table, or make sure that I get there by a certain time (and day) to ensure that I get in. Thank you.

Boy Hits Car,

I also enjoyed reading of your experiences in New York, and would appreciate any input here !

Thank you.

Kind regards.

Barry in Johannesburg, South Africa

Offline Boy Hits Car

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2007, 12:30:26 PM »
Hi scott r,

In an earlier post, you stated your first choices for a tour of New York pizzarias as
" Mano caio Roberto
 Luzzo's Manhattan
 Grimaldi's Brooklyn
 Patsy's HARLEM
 Totonno's Brooklyn"

I will be visiting the USA during May, and, after visiting Chris Bianco in Phoenix, I plan to visit New York for 3 days. Could you please advise me of the addresses (and telephone numbers) of your first choices as listed above, and also let me know if I should reserve a table, or make sure that I get there by a certain time (and day) to ensure that I get in. Thank you.

Boy Hits Car,

I also enjoyed reading of your experiences in New York, and would appreciate any input here !

Thank you.

Kind regards.

Barry in Johannesburg, South Africa

Barry,

I used the following website for all the info I needed:

http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/difara_pizza/

Just use the search box to look for the place you are going to visit and it will give you the address, phone number and subway stop to get to the location. 

If you are going to Difara's in Brooklyn I recommend getting there 45 minutes before it opens so that you don't have to wait in line.  Also, you could call ahead and order your pizza which many people seemed to do.  But even if you do that, you should get there early.  You might be OK if you go around 3pm, but I'm not sure.

As for UPN, it opens at 5pm and I got there around 4:40pm and was the first in line.  Luzzo, I arrived at around 6-6:30pm and was seated right away.  This was on a Sunday.

I just went on another pizza tour last week and visited Sezz Medi, Da Ciro, and Grimaldi's Brooklyn.  Grimaldi's was only half full at around 5pm on a Monday, so I got seated and served right away.  The pizza at Sezz Medi was excellent and I arrived around 12pm and it was basically empty, so no wait at all.  I didn't have a typically pizza at Da Ciro, so I can't comment on that, except that the pizza's that I saw people eating looked fantastic; easily the thinest crust you will ever see; almost impossible to eat without a fork and knife.

Use google maps(www.google.com/maps) and printout a zoomed map of each location you are planning to visit.  Also, study the subway map(found here: http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/subwaymap.pdf).  First thing to do when you arrive in New York is buy a One-Day Metro Fun Pass.  It cost $7.00 and you can use it all day no limit on subway and buses.  There is a 7-day pass, but that costs $24. 

My recommendations would be:

Start at Difara's(Brooklyn), get there 30-45 minutes before it opens.  Order a square pie or square slices.
Then go to Grimaldi's(Brooklyn).  This way you will be heading back towards Manhattan.
Rest or go site-seeing in Manhattan.
Go to UPN at around 4:30pm then Luzzo's

If you have the time, try Sezz Medi and Patsy's, both are in Harlem.

Mike

Edit:  Just wanted to add that Grimaldi's can be a pain to get to.  From Difara's, get on the Q-train towards Manhattan, get off at Atlantic Avenue and switch over to the 2 or 3 Train towards Manhattan, then get off at Clark Street.  You will need to walk about 5 blocks.  Head towards the Brooklyn Bridge.  Also, the easiest way to Difara's is to just get on the Q-train from Manhattan and exit at Avenue J.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 02:11:58 PM by Boy Hits Car »

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2007, 01:04:01 PM »
mike, thank you so much for taking care of all that.  I am really short on time lately. I am still looking for a chance to write up something on my visit to Il Pizzaiolo in pittsburgh where I had the best neapolitan pizza I have found anywhere in the US. The new oven has brought it to another level.

Barry

What mike has said, including the order of visits is spot on.  I hope you enjoy your visit to the US immensely.

Offline Boy Hits Car

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2007, 02:13:07 PM »
No problem Scott.  Just remember to post your experience at Il Pizzaiolo when you get a chance.

Mike

Offline tommy

• Always learning, and struggling. And eating.
    • tommy:eats
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2007, 04:31:19 PM »
if anyone is planning a trip to NYC for a pizza tour and is planning on using mass transit, i've found this site comes in handy:  http://www.hopstop.com/

it'll give you very good directions including subways and walking.

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2007, 11:54:47 AM »
my website has addresses and phone numbers for several one on that list.

http://jvpizza.sliceny.com/

Jeff

Offline Barry

• Pizza Passion Perserverance
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2007, 03:54:14 AM »
Hi Mike (Boy Hits Car).

Thank you very much for your comprehensive reply. I am really looking forward to this trip. I just have to convince my wife to eat pizza 3 times a day !

Jeff, Scott and Tommy, Thanks for your replies as well. I will report to the forum on my trip when I get back to South Africa.

Kind regards.

Barry

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2007, 02:31:21 AM »
Hi everyone, I have been in Williamsburg Brooklyn for the past week working and the pizza scene here is out of control.  I can't believe how many pizzerias are in this area, wood burning, coal burning, and normal deck oven pies everywhere.  I haven't had time to take any pictures or take any notes, but I have found numerous pizzerias here that I have never even heard of selling really creative pies.  One place, which I didn't even catch the name of had a thin Sicilian square pie with a layer of fresh tomato, a layer of fresh mozzarella, and a layer of dressed arugula.  The quality of the toppings was some of the best I have found anywhere, but the crust could have been better. Still it is worth checking out for sure.  This place was a HOLE in the wall, and appeared to have been there for a very long time.  The dressing on the arugula, the cheese, and those amazing tomatoes I am still craving.  I never knew I would love a pizza like this, but I want more now! This place was on lorimar st. very close to the intersection of Metropolitan ave.  If you go one way on lorimar from metropolitan you hit it in about a block. 

If you go the other direction on Lorimar from Metropolitan ave you hit Sal's, which has an amazing street pie with a cheese to die for, plus grandma pies. This is some of the best street pizza I have had in the city.  They are blending Grande whole milk mozzarella with another brand and it is the perfect combination of melt and flavor.  The sauce is perfect, and made from whole tomatoes unlike most street slice places.  The crust was perfect the first few times I had it, and they were using All Trumps.  Unfortunately one day I noticed a big decline in the texture of the crust, and noticed that they were using balancer flour that day.  I guess they buy whatever is on sale for flour and that is not a good thing.  Still, it seems as if they use All Trumps most of the time, and that is what you want.

Another place I found called Fornino is making pies that are definitely worth traveling for. I am going to copy a post I just wrote in the review section.

This is typical high end Brooklyn/ny style pizza, not really Neapolitan in crust or cheese, but the toppings are just as fresh and flavorful as the best Neapolitan pizzeria.  My guess is that they are probably 3 minute pies.  This pizzeria is a must visit for any serious pizza enthusiast in the area.  They have a three tiered menu that starts with standard Italian/American, then another section for more classic Neapolitan, then finally some really creative and adventurous pies.  Maybe the largest menu of specialty pies I have seen yet.

The basic pie is just as good as the famous Brooklyn based grimaldi's and totono's that paved the way for a bunch of newcomers I have been finding in the area. This pie was also very similar to Bianco's in Phoenix for anyone that can't make it all the way over there.  The only major difference I could find is that it was a bit thinner here, and the dough had more salt in it. This is another pizzeria that proves that NY style pizza does not need a coal fired oven, and can be made just as good (or better) in a wood fired oven.

Definitely put this one on your radar!

http://newyork.citysearch.com/profile/41429589

I have heard from a local pizza enthusiast that a place called the Brick oven Project may be even better than Fornino.  I will be back in a few weeks, and will definitely report back on this place.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 02:59:33 AM by scott r »