Author Topic: No knead dough  (Read 1797 times)

Offline bolabola

• extra crispy please
No knead dough
« on: January 23, 2007, 01:53:37 AM »
Hello Guys and Gals..
it's been awhile since I posted..
I had givin up on making pizzas for awhile due to frustration with working with my little trailer oven or freezing outside useing my propane BBQ..but the good news is my house is near completion and my new Viking should be operational in 2 weeks..
however,I was reading the food section in the newspaper acouple of weeks ago and stumbled upon this artical about a bread baker in Manhattan who had developed this new way of making bread dough without kneading and so simple that an 8 year old could make it..so I tried making the bread first to see if it would be feasible for pizza..I was very surprised by how well the bread turned out and procceded trying it with making pizza(yes in my little trailer oven)
first off the dough when finished is a mushy glob just like varasanos and almost pours out onto the counter like a batter..I tried a second batch and went a few grams less on the water and a few more grams on the flour which made it more workable..also I skipped the extra second rise..
it's been the best yet for me but takes practice to work with in not trying to get the rim to big..
I also placed a tin foil dome over the top for the first few minutes to steam the dough and then removed it to get the crust nice and charred..it turned out perfect for me..better then all the recipes I've tried here over and over again..perfectly crispy,crunchy with beautifull air pockets on the rim..
please let me know how it turns out for you or if anyone has heard of this recipe before..
I'm not saying I'll never use another recipe but this one sure works for my little crappy trailer oven.. :D

No Knead Bread

Time:About 1and half hours plus 14 to 20 hours rising
3 cups (430 grams)all-purpose or bread flour,more for dusting
1quarter  teaspoon (1 gram instant or other,yeast.
1and 1quarter teaspoons (8 grams) salt.
____ Cornmeal or wheat bran as needed.

1.   In a large bowl combine flour,yeast and salt..add 1and 5/8 cups (345 grams) water,and stir until blended; dough will be shaggy and sticky.Cover bowl with plastic wrap.Let dough rest at least 12 hours,preferably about 18,and up to 24,at warm room temperature,about 70 degrees.
2.   Dough is ready when its surface is dotted with bubbles.Lightly flour a work surface and place dough on it; sprinkle it with a little more flour and fold it cover on itself once or twice.Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rest about 15 minutes.
3.   using just enough flour to keep dough from sticking to work surface or to your fingers,gently and quickly shape dough into a ball.Generously coat a cotton towel (not terry cloth) with flour,wheat bran or cornmeal;put dough seam side down on towel and dust with more flour, bran or cornmeal.Cover with another cotton towel and let rise for 2 to 3 hours.When it is ready,dough will be more than double in size and will not readily spring back when poked with a finger.
4.   At least a half-hour before dough is ready,heat oven to 450 degrees.Put a 6 to 8 quart heavy covered pot(cast iron enamel,Pyrex or ceramic)in oven as it heats.When dough is ready,carefully remove pot from oven.Slide your hand under towel and turn dough over into pot,seam side up; it may look like a mess,but that is OK.Shake pan once or twice if dough is unevenly distributed;it will straighten out as it bakes.Cover with lid and bake 30 minutes,then remove lid and bake another 15 to 30 minutes,until loaf is beautifully browned.Cool  on a rack.

wish I could post some pics but can't downsize my pictures..

Pizza Rocks

Offline bolabola

• extra crispy please
Re: No knead dough
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 01:59:25 AM »
I forgot to mention but for pizza I skipped steps 3 and 4..but I think the tin foil dome I came up with for the oven is an important step
Pizza Rocks

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 09:10:08 AM »
bolabola,

While you were away, jimd and other members discovered the No Knead dough phenomenon and reported on same at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4114.msg34400.html#msg34400 and http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4244.msg35343.html#msg35343 .

Peter

Offline bolabola

• extra crispy please
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 12:51:04 PM »
Thanks for the links Peter..it was interesting to see how everyones bread turned out slighty different..however I didn't see anyone aply this recipe to making pizza except for the one pan pizza which looked pretty good..
has anyone here had any success..I have to do mine on a pizza screen with parchment paper but it turns out very nice..
Pizza Rocks