Author Topic: Dinner Tonight  (Read 18730 times)

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza & Sex -- Good? Great! Bad? Still okay.
    • My Pizza Gallery
Re: Dinner Tonight
« Reply #100 on: February 19, 2007, 04:29:55 PM »
Yeah, pretty much everything Peter said.  High Gluten flour should bake up just fine on the stone.  As far as oven position and bake time, it's some trial and error simply because every oven is different as are different ingredient combinations.  As far as the thickness calculations go...  you don't mess with Pete-zza! ;D  As far as preheating time on the stone goes, once you find the ideal oven position, the longer the better in my book.
Quote under my pic excludes Little Caesar's.

Offline MWTC

« Reply #101 on: February 20, 2007, 12:05:05 PM »
Glutenboy,

Just ordered the wooden pizza peel from Gorden's Food. It will be in tomorrow. I will pick up some semolina tonight. I look forward to venturing into the arena of direct stone cooking. And reducing the amount of dough per your protocol.

Check out last nights pizza. It was the first attempt using Red.November's idea of using Soy Butter, (Earth Balance found at Whole Foods) as a flavor additive. I used your protocol at 10 grams of salt and 3 tsp of the Soy Butter. Result: "Love It" a must try. I used a 1-1/2 hour counter rise which was to much as the crumb really took off, the voids were to big. But cool to see. This is something I am going to continue to use and develop further.

I have another batch of dough using Red.November's Idea of using the soy product called "Better Than Cream Cheese" also found at Whole Foods. With this batch I used My recipe and protocol using a poolish and sugar, oil. I used 25 grams of the additive. It looked fantastic going into the fridge. I'll bake that in a few days.

What an asset Red.November is to this Forum!!!

MWTC  :chef:
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 04:39:23 PM by MWTC »

Offline MWTC

« Reply #102 on: February 21, 2007, 11:35:52 AM »
Last nights pizza. Glutenboy's recipe with soy butter at 10 grams of salt. Baked in a pan. I tried to reduce the extremely large voids from the nights before pizza. Success!!!  :D

« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 11:38:52 AM by MWTC »

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #103 on: February 21, 2007, 01:09:58 PM »
MWTC --

Looks delicious!  What kind of flour for this batch?

Offline MWTC

« Reply #104 on: February 21, 2007, 01:45:09 PM »
All Trumps.

Just got my wooden pizza peel.  ;D  Any special care for the peel?

« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 11:08:35 AM by MWTC »

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #105 on: February 21, 2007, 02:07:32 PM »
I sometimes rub a little olive oil into it to keep the wood supple.  Some rub some flour into it as well to sort of fill any pits in the wood and create a smoother surface.  Don't wash it; that's not good for the wood.  Use a dough scraper with the grain to keep it clean.  I'm not super-fanatic about taking care of mine (I have two, 14" and 16") and they perform beautifully for me.  :chef:

Offline MWTC

« Reply #106 on: February 23, 2007, 02:00:23 PM »
Just did my first full bake on the stone using the wooden peel. It came off the peel very easy, but the bottom of the crust was white with flour. I lightly floured the peel and dusted the peel with the semolina. The bottom was done perfectly but the flour was a little off putting. So I just reduce the flour thru experimenting?

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #107 on: February 23, 2007, 02:26:48 PM »
MWTC --

Congratulations!  Here's some suggestions for your flour problem.

1)  Only coat the dough with flour, shaking off the excess, BEFORE you start stretching.

2)  Use as little flour on the peel as you can.  Just a dusting spread evenly with the palm of your hand.  You can be a bit less careful with the semolina, but minimal is better.  You shouldn't have to go wild to keep it from sticking.

Pal, if you saw how many pizzas I ruined to get it right, you'd laugh.  Keep it up and send some pics!  :pizza:

-- GB