Author Topic: Dinner Tonight  (Read 19048 times)

Offline nepa-pizza-snob

Re: Dinner Tonight
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2007, 10:42:14 PM »
I use a similar lean approach to my dough, but sldom have the patience to let balls sit in the cold for more than 2-3 days. I would like to try your degassing approach - 2 questions. When do you degas
after 2 days? exactly how does one degas? press / squish gently?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2007, 09:28:58 AM »
Glutenboy,

Over time, I developed a list of conversion factors for different ingredients so I do not need a scale just to weigh small amounts of ingredients. I bought the MyWeigh unit mainly to see if it was needed in order to get good results and, secondarily, to be able to do conversions when data for doing so was unavailable or suspect. I concluded that on balance my conversion data on paper was good enough.

I once weighed a teaspoon of fine sea salt and the weight was so close to that for ordinary table salt that I saw no need to draw a distinction between them. In fact, when the numbers were rounded to two decimal places, they were the same. I like having the MyWeigh unit around but because of my "database" I could live without it.

My interest in the salt level was in relation to its effect on slowing down the rate of fermentation and its possible effect on prolonging dough life. I know that both you and MWTC have been getting dough lives greater than normal so I wanted to see if the salt was responsible. I was able to get 12 days with normal salt levels but I was doing other things to get the longer dough life.

Peter

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza & Sex -- Good? Great! Bad? Still okay.
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2007, 12:59:46 PM »
Nepa-Pizza-Snob --

I am not the final authority on degassing (although in college I was famous for my degassing technique involving a Bic lighter).  But seriously, Nepa...  my technique is to gently but firmly and quickly press the gas out of the dough and pull it down tight into a new ball by extruding it through the circle of my thumb and index finger.  It should come out in a tight, much smaller bubble with a smooth surface and round shape.  Make sure all the air's out, then pinch the bottom together really well to form a seam that won't break when it reexpands.  I do not reknead.  I have read that it is good to preserve the existing outer skin.  Does it really make a difference?  I'm not sure, but it works for me.  Let me know if you have any more questions.  Glad to help.

--GB
Quote under my pic excludes Little Caesar's.

Offline MWTC

« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2007, 10:44:30 AM »
Glutenboy,

As promised here is the 2nd round of dough with 13 grams of salt. Everything is fantastic, dough handling, oven spring, browning, crumb development (voids). Picture perfect. Lets work together to increase the flavor. Lets try the poolish experiment. I'll do it, and you do it, and then lets compare notes. I'll start Thursday. Check out this thread. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4625.0.html This is basically how I will proceed.

I will go get some Harvest King flour to see the taste you are getting.

MWTC  :chef:

Offline MWTC

« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2007, 10:45:58 AM »
The slice.

Offline MWTC

« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2007, 10:47:34 AM »
The leftovers.

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2007, 01:36:14 PM »
Nice crumb!  Looks light and airy.  I don't know if I'll be able to hold my end up this weekend on the pizzamaking, but please forge ahead and I'll catch up.  I'm curious.  After about 5 days in the cooler, I'd say my dough had developed a lot of flavor.  You seem to find it bland except for the salt.  What can we chalk this up to?

1)  Different perceptions of flavor -- Maybe you really don't like salt and expect a whole lot of sour while I love salt and need less tang.  I doubt that's the whole story.  Don't you?

2)  Different flour.  You're using the All Trumps, I'm using the Harvest King.  Maybe AT needs more effort and time in the cooler to develop the same level of flavor?  Never used AT so I don't know.

3)  Different refrigeration temp?  My frig thermometer reads about 37-38 degrees (it's cheap).

4)  One more that just occurred to me.  You seem to stretch your pies much less thin than mine.  Mord dough per bite = more salt per bite!

In my experience, the development of the flavor goes hand in hand with the development of the uneven, airy crumb.  They both take frig time.  The pics look like you certainly achieved the crumb.  I'm surprised the flavor didn't come with.

As far as your question about oil, I think the evoo contributes the strongest (and in my opinion best) component of flavor.  Like I said, I don't use any in the dough formulation and only a bit on the outside for release purposes.  I've used vegetable oil before, but am happiest with the extra virgin.

Still salty at 12 grams?  Isn't that well within most people's recipe range for salt?  I have to look at the board for other formulas.  Would you say you're particularly sensitive to the taste of salt?

Anyway, just trying to get it all straight in my mind.  Are you going to try my suggestion as far as formulating the poolish?  Since I have limited experience using preferments, I don't know if my ideas make perfect sense.  I'll try to make a batch ASAP.  Keep me posted.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 01:38:57 PM by Glutenboy »

Offline MWTC

« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2007, 02:26:28 PM »
Glutenboy,

I'll use 200 grams of flour and 200 grams of water. The yeast, I was thinking of using all of it in the poolish but with your idea maybe I should use 1/4 of the amount you use in the formulation. Just to keep it consistant. What do you think? I  usually use the whole amount that I use in the entire recipe.

I really don't think I am overly sensitive to salt, its just that it's what stands out and it doesn't make me say yum. That makes sense because you don't use anything but flour, water, yeast and salt.

Do you think I should do everything just as is, just create the poolish and start as if it wasn't there. Meaning, do the autolyse, and 1 hour counter rise in the given order and just ignore the 4 hour poolish period. That is what I am planning.

I'm sure the thickness plays a factor but not a whole lot.

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2007, 03:00:34 PM »
Personally, I wouldn't change the percentages until I see how it works out, but I defer to your experience with the preferment.

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2007, 04:41:22 PM »
Oh, now I get what you meant!!!  ???  Yeah, a quarter of the yeast in the poolish and 3/4 in the final added H20.  Sounds like a great starting point to me.

Offline MWTC

« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2007, 05:05:22 PM »
OK, thats where I'll start. I'll keep everything the same except I will reduce the salt to 10 grams, added after the poolish is finished. I am still planning on going with autolyse and the 1 hour counter rise per your dough formulation. Everything stays the same except we are using a 4 hour poolish.  8)

Offline MWTC

« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2007, 04:34:34 PM »
Glutenboy,

Check this one out. A dipping idea. Leave out the leftover uneaten pizza slices overnight, so the crust dries out. It will still be chewy. The next day cut the crust into wedges and serve as in the picture. Feed the pizza part to the dog.  Pizza Crust & Edy's Grand Chocolate Ice Cream with cherries. I enjoyed it last night.  :-D  Yes, it was your dough!!!

« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 04:41:32 PM by MWTC »

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2007, 06:41:44 PM »
Now that does look good!!!  ;D

Offline MWTC

« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2007, 11:04:49 AM »
Glutenboy,

OK, we are off and running.

Last night I did two batches of dough. Both with a poolish. Each recipe stayed the same except I reduced your salt to 10 grams, added the poolish to your recipe and I adopted your formulation to my recipe. My recipe added 3 TBS sugar, 2 1/2 tsp Olive Oil, 1 tsp salt. The water temps. stayed the same as in the recipes. Yours 100 degrees, mine cold right out of the fridge. The poolishes were identical. 200 grams of flour, 200 grams of 100 degree water, 1/2 tsp (1.75 grams) ADY, for four hours.

Check out the pictures.

First picture, after 1 hour counter rise. Check out the difference. Your dough is on the left.

Offline MWTC

« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2007, 11:07:37 AM »
After overnight in the fridge. 10 hours. Yours are the bigger ones.

Offline MWTC

« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2007, 11:11:51 AM »
These pans with lids stack so beautifully in the fridge!!

I will degas these after 48 hours per your formulation.

I'll keep you up to date.  ;D

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2007, 12:45:17 PM »
Did I see a bird?  ???

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2007, 01:16:34 PM »
MWTC,

Did you weigh the dough balls for the two formulations by any chance?

Peter

Offline MWTC

« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2007, 02:27:25 PM »
That bird is my pet parrot, Teia. She loves pizza crust. Don't take it personally, but you can see which dough has caught her eye.  :)

Peter,

Glutenboy's doughs (larger ones) are 10.75 oz

MWTC's doughs are 11.5 oz.

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2007, 02:51:45 PM »
Those doughs look big!  :o  Do you think using the poolish made my formula rise more than usual?

pizzapan